Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, Slakev from Central Eastern NM, Double Tee from up in the Panhandle, I and old Smokewagon did manage to meet up today and shoot a little at Rustic Range in the Canyon North of Slaton. I called Smoke when we were twenty miles away to give him a heads up, he lives 2 miles from the range, and Smoke showed up 10 minutes after we did. Smokewagon uses red targets while us peons get the black targets.

Smokewagon shot good today, considering he didn't shoot so good on Saturday, so he said. He usually shoots pretty steady so I wonder what he considers a bad day.

I managed to coerce the so called rangemaster into letting us use the instructional range for CHL for our little group instead of having to use the regular handgun firing line. Everyone started out on the 3 yard firing line, that surprised me.

I had a few additional duties to perform as I had a friends PT 92 (he couldn't make it) that we had an adjustable sight installed on this morning. The pistol just always shot way low and left. I sighted it in to where it was a little high at Ten yards, before I ran out of the 9mm he had sent with me to sandbag and sight it in. Now it's his baby. I also had some trouble with a few new mags I have recently added to my .22 collection that need some help.

Slaykev brought his PT99, he will correct me if I'm wrong, his model 85 and his 24/7 in .40.
Double Tee had his Kimber Ultra Spectacular that he had Smoke also shoot but never offered to me. Hey, I would have enjoyed instant gratification, but he didn't offer to let me shoot it. An oversight on his part I am sure as Smoke is an administrator and I am the lowly , portly, current top poster on TA.net. he does send me a lot of good postings though.

I got to shoot Smokes Super smooth Stainless PT 1911 that has over 6,300 rounds through it. I can't really decide if it was any smoother at 6,300 than it was at 2,000...it is hard to improve on perfection. I left my lowly Metroarms from the Phillipines in my consol, even though I like it fine. I was outclassed with Smoke's PT1911 and the Kimber Ultrafandago I never got to shoot.

I did share the vintage special Mod 14 tuned S & W with all the other three as well as My 1978 Vintage slick as they come triggered Browning .22 Champion with the guys.

Double Tee and Slakeve Firing Line.jpg

Double Tee and Slakev on the firing line

Double Tee's Targets..JPG

I think this was Slakev's target's

Double Tees ultra gaga.JPG

This was Double Tee's Kimber Ultra GaGa that Smoke got to shoot and I didn't!

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Me sighting in 92.jpg

This is me sandbagging and sighting in the new adjustable sight on my friends 92. I really need to leave the beer alone, I'm fat. Beer is so hard to give up!

Me with model 14 S & W.JPG

I graduated with the S & W Model 14, but my beer gut hasn't disappeared!

Me, changing target.JPG

Okay, my beer gut isn't showing as much going to change a target!

Model 14.JPG

Me and Slakev with the super smooth Model 14

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Looks like a fun time. No pictures of Smokes targets?

Ronnie don't let that ab worry ya. It's great ballast!. (Trust me I know)

Thanks for the pic's!

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My target with model 92.JPG

I think this is my target on the left sighting in the model 92. had some in the bullseye, but at least it adjusting high when out to seven yards. I had some fliers that I wasn't impressed with considering I had sandbagged the frame. A few looked like they had keyholed even though I was sandbagged and they were 115 grain bullets

potbelllied old fart Me.jpg

Here I am being potbellied again, have no idea what I'm shooting!

Slakev shooting Smokes.jpg

This is Slakev shooting Smokes ultra Smooth PT1911

Slakeve.JPG

This is Slakev

Slakev's Pistols.JPG

These are Slakev's pistol's, he also shot his model 85

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
And Smoke's targets look like........ Nice job! Great place to have fun and fellowship.

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slakov shooting model 99.jpg

Slakev shooting his Model 99

Smoke 2.jpg

Here is a side view of the stalwart Smokewagon

Smoke 3.jpg

And this is a view of Smokewagon in the shade. Not revealing quite all his most handsomest attributes, I could have captured in the Sun.

Smoketarget.JPG

These were Smokewagon's red show off targets. He had a good day.

Did I mention I wasn't invited to shoot Double Tee's extra fancy Kimber what ya ma call it!

All in all, a good day, warm day, light winds, good friends

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, a bad day at the range trumps a good day at the office! So does fishing!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a good time.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Well, it's back to pintos, green chile, ham hocks, and Lipitor for me tonight. Don't feel so bad about the ol spare tire now. :)

Seriously, looks like ya'll had a great time. Congrats, Smokeman, for some fancy "layin' em' in there"!!

·
Administrator
40,089 Posts
Yesterday's weather turned out much better than was forecast. You can see that in the pictures. Jake, Slakev, and Double-tee, are all great guys to shoot targets and shoot the breeze with!
Jake mentions, that we set up at the three yard line, I don't know why we started the either, but very shortly we moved further out.

Double-tee's Kimber, gave me an itch, but I'm going to resist, and not scratch it. I hope! And the S&W Model 14 Jake brought is impressive. I shot a group first time single action, that I was very pleased with, and it will shoot the same grouping easily, double action. It reminded me why I'm a recovering S&W snob! :D

·
Administrator
35,507 Posts
Sounds like a great time ! Wish I had been there.

I know what you mean about 'the itch', I recently shot a Springfield Range Officer that was just about more fun than the law allows. And I was constantly wondering how accurate the gun would be in the hands of a good shooter, if it was making me look that good. :D

Maybe one of these days we'll figure out how to do a regional get-together.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Sounds like you guys really had a great time at the range and with each other...That's what life is all about...good friends and good times...God Bless!!

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Sounds like yall had a great time!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes we all had a great visit and good time on the range! The only sad part was Jake is getting up in the years now and doesn't remember the two times he was offered the Kimber to try out! ( maybe it was the earmuffs?) anyway, since he is almost 2 years older than I am you can see why the memory is fading! HaHa! I did bring my PT-145 though but loaned it to my son for his job travels into rough territory close to the Nice safe border with Mexico! Before he only had his Judge and since the PT-145 has never failed to send a round down range I loaned ( probably more like gave!) it to him for backup! Also got to see my new grandson so with a good business meeting, good range time with some great guys it was a very good trip indeed! Won't get back that way until Sept.Now due to work but do look forward to more range time with the guys down South! Jake is working on his cooking skills and I hope that turns out well for all involved in that experiment, and hope no one makes the papers who trys it! ( just kidding!) sounds good from the description he gave us! Hey guys, look forward to the next time!!!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Alright. If your purpose was to make the rest of us jealous..... it worked! Looks like you guys had a blast (NPI). :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Y'all make me hurt, havin' all that fun.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Yesterday was a lot of fun. I am glad that we met up yesterday, today it is really windy and cold and more dust than I have seen in a while.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Slakev!----------- wait until the wind blows!----------- then you will see some dust!HaHa! We are starting to get into the windy season for this country now, you never get used to it, but you will learn some more colorful language ! Sure glad to have met you, look forward to meeting up again after my seasons over. Stay safe over there in N.M. And hope you get to travel around the state some. It's an interesting place! I'm going up to the NRA Whittington center toward the end of the month to shoot sporting clays, if you ever get up toward Raton you need to stop in and check it out, it's a fantastic place!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Slakev!----------- wait until the wind blows!----------- then you will see some dust!HaHa! We are starting to get into the windy season for this country now, you never get used to it, but you will learn some more colorful language ! Sure glad to have met you, look forward to meeting up again after my seasons over. Stay safe over there in N.M. And hope you get to travel around the state some. It's an interesting place! I'm going up to the NRA Whittington center toward the end of the month to shoot sporting clays, if you ever get up toward Raton you need to stop in and check it out, it's a fantastic place!
Will do, sporting clays is something I have not done since I moved out here. I have not been able to find a good place for doing this in my area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts