Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Logo Symbol Trademark

Was sorting and cleaning brass today, found some with the above head stamp. This stuff is the lowest quality brass I have ever seen. After coming out of the cleaning process they had a discolored orange look to them definitely not the nice clean shinny brass I am used to. I picked them out and noticed they felt flimsy. With some effort I could smash the case mouths with my thumb and finger.

If your buying ammo to reload the brass pass this stuff by. Glad I only scavenged about 20 of them.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,420 Posts
fishin
your picture didn't post

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Here it is:

Headstamp Codes - International Ammunition Association

China North Industries Corp., (NORINCO), 7A Yue Tan Nan Jie, Beijing, Peoples Republic of China

S&B brass? - 1911Forum

L Y is a Chinese headstamp - has a poor reputation for quality.

From the 1911 forum:
The only 9mm brass that I don't even try to reload anymore is the chinese brass with the "L Y" headstamp. I've had way too many primers fall out of those rounds after reloading.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,420 Posts
Cartoon Animated cartoon Facial expression Cheek Finger I hate it when that happens.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice head stamp link, thanks.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Heck, I load that Chinese LY92 brass, with pretty decent results - - maybe I'll put up with more crap for less result, maybe.

But the only brass that even I detest is head-stamped A*MERC. And it is made in America, but it is of even worse quality that you can imagine evn after LY92 brass. It is of inconsistent size, length, thickness, hardness, primer pocket dimensions, capacity - - - -just abominable!

Flash

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heck, I load that Chinese LY92 brass, with pretty decent results - - maybe I'll put up with more crap for less result, maybe.

But the only brass that even I detest is head-stamped A*MERC. And it is made in America, but it is of even worse quality that you can imagine evn after LY92 brass. It is of inconsistent size, length, thickness, hardness, primer pocket dimensions, capacity - - - -just abominable!

Flash
If I didn't have several thousand 9mm cases already I may have given them a try. I still pick up all the brass I run across because you never know. The stuff I am pretty sure I will not use I give away to those who can or if I have a lot of it I will sell it.

·
Super Moderator
38,003 Posts
I don't reload 9mm...yet, but thanks for the heads up. I have saved up a fair amount of mixed headstamps. Crush them with your fingers...crazy. :rolleyes:

Ironic though, that the one link posted is about S & B...I've been meaning to post about those in .45 ACP. These boogers have such a tight primer pocket that they always need a 2nd and 3rd hit on the press lever to get the primer to sit flush. Herters is similar and Winchester to a lesser extent. Really messes up the rhythm.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't reload 9mm...yet, but thanks for the heads up. I have saved up a fair amount of mixed headstamps. Crush them with your fingers...crazy. :rolleyes:

Ironic though, that the one link posted is about S & B...I've been meaning to post about those in .45 ACP. These boogers have such a tight primer pocket that they always need a 2nd and 3rd hit on the press lever to get the primer to sit flush. Herters is similar and Winchester to a lesser extent. Really messes up the rhythm.
I noticed that as well with the S&B Brass. After it goes through the stainless media cleaning I have found it is a little easier to seat them. I think it is a combination of tight pockets and residual primer sealer they use. The stainless pins cleans it all out, still a little tighter then most.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
A*MERC brass goes right in my trash can. I have reloaded some of it in the past and it worked OK, but the variations in rim thickness make the stuff look pretty iffy so now I just throw it into the recycle bin.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
BTW, the color issue ( rather more orangeish than yellowish) is due to the alloy used. it is more copper, less tin than normal brass.

Flash

1 - 12 of 12 Posts