Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I see training videos and classes for people with no disabilities. But what about people who either can't move right due to bad backs are in need of crutches, Walkers or chairs ( electric and wheeled versions ) ? Maybe I am search wrong I don't know. But does anyone know of SD for people with special physical needs ? Free would be best seeing how most people nowadays are having financial troubles.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Great idea for a thread!

I'll be interested in reading all the responses, as I'm handicapped as a result of a stroke I suffered last summer.

I consider my metallic cane as a tool which could also double as a "low impact" self-defense weapon.

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great idea for a thread!

I'll be interested in reading all the responses, as I've handicapped as a result of a stroke I suffered last summer.

I consider my metallic cane as a tool which could also double as a "low impact" self-defense weapon.
I never thought about it until I hurt my hip and back. Hip is fine now but with the back I cant run or move in positions like I could before I got hurt.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I cannot run at all, and even walking is painful...but necessary to keep me out of the wheelchair I spent three months in.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cannot run at all, and even walking is painful...but necessary to keep me out of the wheelchair I spent three months in.
That's why us old or damaged people need help with training and at a low cost or free setting. Like I said a lot of people in our positions can not afford much if anything. Some people think if you have nothing or not much you are worthless.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Those of us, who are just older, have the same or similar problems doing some drills, that the younger person finds normal. I know I saw some where drills or schools that are geared toward those with disabilities.

But, I never thought to save the information or sites involved. Has anyone checked the NRA site, or even the schools that are more expensive. Some of the Traveling trainers might be offering specialized training classes?

I think one guy I know in KY, might offer something. If I can get in touch with him, he might know about others.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well I emailed him, and not much luck?

"I do not know anyone in that area, but we do some research with a couple of clients in the past. Work with what they do good. Much like my instructors have to do with me.

Eric Dean Operations Manager
American Institute of Marksmanship
270-544-7220"

·
Super Moderator
21,452 Posts
There are many of us with disabilities here some worse then other's I would ask some of your classes about such services in your area. I, Like MPG use a cane and consider it vary affective. Along with a knife and some knowledge and at least you won't be such a easy mark.

Because Of RA my shooting skills have suffered but are still there if needed. You can help your self by doing your own thought up drills that give you the comfort of mind that you can still get on target but in your own way. Be as creative but safe as you can.

http://www.defenseability.com/index.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts