Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, me and 3 others have shot my PT140 and all of us have been hitting low and left.
Grouping was good, just low and left.
None of us are highly experienced with pistols so i just figured it was us.
I purchased one of those laser pointer bullets that you use for practice.
I'm dead on target using that, but when i shoot for real i have to aim high and right in order to hit the bulls eye.
Am i still doing something wrong? or is this possibly a defect?

·
Super Moderator
38,036 Posts
Bench rest that pistol and learn the truth. You could also practice with snap caps and place a quarter on the top of the barrel to smooth out your trigger pull. It's also bee suggested that you load a couple of snap caps in your magazine with live ammo interspersed to see if you are anticipating recoil.

If you "lead sled" it from a bench and it still shoots low/left, then it's time to call customer service.

Add: if you have Heine (straight eight combat sights) be sure you have the correct sight picture...the front blade dot covers the intended POA/POI and the rear dot is the bottom of the "snowman".

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I think if you are not experienced in shooting the short barrel, compact pistols, you will have problems shooting them accurately. One thing you can try is to place only the pad of your finger on the trigger and not the first joint. Pull the trigger straight back while you keep your focus on the front sight. With too much finger on the trigger, you have a tendency to pull the muzzle down and left for right handed shooters and down and right for left handed shooters. Practice with the pad on the trigger and I think you will find you are shooting to POA. Let us know if that helps.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Shoot from rest, then make adjustments if needed (as Czechbikr suggested). Any pistol, new to me, is shot from rest first. In my case, it always came back to me, with only one exception. Have had to do some sight adjustments, but made those after determining POA/POI from rest.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Good info is already provided. I'll just add my agreement with the idea of shooting from a rest of some sort. Sand bags or whatever that will help reduce unwanted movement of the gun during firing.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Good info so far. Try the rest first.
I have known a few people that had to have their sites readjusted. But, most of the time it comes back to the shooter and getting used to the gun.

·
Registered
676 Posts
What grain bullet are you using and what distance is the target? I have found that my 9mm does tend to go low and left (not that much low and not that much left) with 115gr 9mm. When I've been able to use 124gr or (for the first time) 147gr. I getting better results. Also, compacts are a different pistol and it doesn't take allot of 'twitch' at the trigger to move the aim.

I understand that this might not be the case with full size 40s or 45s.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It is very common with these pistols to shoot low and left/right. It's all in the handling of it. This is the only pistol I have ever had this issue with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You might try pulling the trigger with the pad of your finger instead of at the joint. If your finger is to tight on the trigger you tend to pull right and down without realizing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts