1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
That would be one heck of a joyride.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'm looking for a career change, are they hiring?

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Super Moderator
19,610 Posts
Are you a nurse or medic with at least 3 years expirence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im an MD with 30 years experience. Will that work?

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Super Moderator
19,610 Posts
My current job is finding homes for guns. Keeping them clean, functional and purdy. I dabble in medicine as a hobby.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts

Parked next to this bad boy today. Wish the pilot was Giving joy rides.

Tell him you'll give him some right seat time if you can get reciprocal time as his RIO. :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll fly'em but ain't never jumped out of one! That's for my brother - Elsinore Paracenter in CA and jumped at Oshkosh a few times.
Never jumped. Would LOVE to but too expensive for me right now as well as I’m a little fat and the places around here want 220 max.....

·
Registered
18,468 Posts
Yep...:smile:...always liked purple, my Dad started it. He worked in maintenance for a glass company until he started his own trucking, excavation, etc business. He was also their forklift mechanic and one day, decided to paint one of them 'coz it was gettin' pretty ratty lookin'. He painted it a nice (I thought, anyway) powder blue and put white racing stripes on it, everyone in the plant thought it was cool. The plant manager didn't like it and told him he had to repaint it. My Dad asked him what color and the idiot made the mistake of saying "I don't care, just not that color and no racing stripes" so my Dad went next door to a steel barrel manufacturing plant, got some bright purple paint and made it that color...:D...then quit and went out on his own. Ever since, I've been really fond of purple. At my home drop zone, I was nicknamed "the grape ape". You could see me a mile away, even got a canopy to match. Not really fond of the neon green but it seemed to go better with the purple than any other colors available.
NewCanopy1a.JPG

·
Super Moderator
19,610 Posts
I never understood the logic of Wearing a helmet when jumping out of an airplane. . ..

That helmet has got to be thinking to itself . . ."this is loco, I'm gonna stay close to the parachute and this dumb butt is going down feet first".

·
Registered
18,468 Posts
Never jumped. Would LOVE to but too expensive for me right now as well as I’m a little fat and the places around here want 220 max.....

Yeah, that was the limit for tandem but if you went static line or AFF, you were only limited by the size canopies they had available. I went AFF (accelerated freefall) where you jump with your own rig (usually rented from the DZ). It was generally an 8-jump progression, the first few jumps with two instructors and the remainder with just one. You land under your own canopy on every jump, guided down by radio on your first few, then totally on your own. The first jump cost me around $300 but consecutive jumps were progressively less. It took me 11 jumps to get certified to free-jump, I acquired a turning problem on jump #8 that took three more to get sorted out so all said and done, my training cost about $800 total. It turned out to be an ill-fitting rig that was causing the turning. The first pic of me jumping with the instructor was from #11 when I finally passed. Rig rental was $25 per jump, plus the instructor's fee but once able to free jump and having my own rig, all I had to pay for was the ride to altitude.

My first rig was all used gear and cost me $800 for the main canopy, reserve, container and Cypress AAD (automatic activation device), my first flight suit cost around $80, the second was much more elaborate and ran about $150. At that time, it was $16 to ride to 11,500 ft in a Cessna 172 or $22 to 13,500 in the Twin Bonanza. When the DZ finally got a Porter, it was $26 to get out at 15,500 ft. We often had "boogies" where we had a bigger guest plane come in on a weekend, like a Cessna Caravan, King Air, Queen Air, Beech 99, Twin Otter, Porter, etc. My favorite jump in the US was the Casa, since it was a tailgater and took us up to 17,500 ft. Mike Mullins' Super King Air was cool too, got to jump that one a buncha' times. When I went to Russia, I got to jump the AN-2, Yak-52 and the Yak-18T. I even got to do a 100 meter jump with vintage round gear (the canopy was canvas) from Anton (the AN-2). At the dollars to rubbles conversion rate then...:D...those only cost me about $3 to $5 per jump. Even at the higher US rates, you can't have that much fun for that cheap anywhere and it was worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts