Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

About a month or so ago Florida became the first state to issue more than one million Concealed Weapons Permits. Now it seems like Florida is well on its way to beating that number...

The state reports 120,000 applications during the month of January. That is about double the amount of applications from December.... Here is the report.

http://www.news-press.com/article/2...ncealed-carry-license-frenzy-triggers-backlog

Yesterday Florida also became the first state to have all county sheriffs sign on and “announced that they will not enforce laws that violate the Constitution or infringe on the rights of the people to own firearms.” The vote was unanimous and bi-partizan....

All 67 Florida County Sheriffs sign pledge to protect the right of citizens to bear arms - WatchdogWire - Florida

Don

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
This makes me proud to be a Floridian and hopes it helps overcome the embarrassment of the last election results. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Israel from Broward county and Bradshaw from Palm Bch. county, do not want the serfs to have any weapons. That piece of paper has no credibility with me.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Israel from Broward county and Bradshaw from Palm Bch. county, do not want the serfs to have any weapons. That piece of paper has no credibility with me.
They were probably the last two. Remember their jobs depend on being re-elected and the push is on our side right now, at least in Florida. Now if they do not uphold this I would guess they would be unemployed.

Does Miami-Dade have a sheriff?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Our county sheriff recently had an article in the paper saying that he had so many people asking him about his position on the 2nd Amendment and carry permit rights that he wanted everyone to know that he will stand solidly behind the 2nd Amendment rights of all people except those who have lost their rights due to criminal convictions for a felony.

Yes he is the same person who as the local Police Chief almost twisted my arm to get my permit shortly after we moved up here!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
There is nearly thirty bills in the Minnesota legislature currently attempting to ban or restrict the 2nd Amendment rights, but the senate majority leader has said that the senate will not debate any gun or magazine bans or restrictions this session, although he did say that they would possibly consider increased background check requirements?

With redistricting due to the last census we now have a new state senator and state representative ( both Democrats ) and yes I am sure I am on a first name basis with both of them all though I have yet to receive any replies from our state senator. The state representative has replied to me and has said he is committed to supporting the 2nd Amendment? Time will tell! :confused:

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
You guys from Florida should be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. :)

Reactions: 9th

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Very happy indeed, God Bless America

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I can't believe that Texas is so far behind, something like 500,000 if I remember right.
We would need to cut the cost (Florida Residents please correct me if I am wrong) but I was just over there and talking to some people there who have permits and if I remember right their fee is something like $115 plus ~ $70 for the course.

Ours is $140 plus $90-$110 for the course and you loose a whole day in the training class (Florida's is 2.5 hours or so).

Florida by those numbers, with $20 worth of Ammunition, ~ $205 and a couple hours in a class.

Texas ~ $260 and a whole day in class.

$55 might not be that much to some of us, its less than what I spent out at dinner the other night, but to some, it is alot of money. Specially when you are already laying out $200. I also personally know people (responsible gun owners who shoot often) that say why should I waist a day in class when I can carry in my vehicle for free?

It all just speculation on my part but I would guess if we mirrored Florida's costs (time and money) we would have higher numbers.

(actually we should do away with licenses all together and let anyone carry, but thats a different thread)

Reactions: TXEric

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
TA.... the license cost is $112. That is $70 license fee and $42 fingerprint processing fee.

As far as a concealed carry class.... Florida has recognized the fact that not all people have a lot of money. They have set up a number of ways that you can show "training". The Florida Statues list the following recognized proof of training.....

any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission orsimilar agency in another state;

any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Departmentof Agriculture and Consumer Services;

any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security officers, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by
the National Rifle Association.

documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with
a firearm gained during your service: military orders including call to active-duty letter; a statement of military service
signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which
identifies you and provides your date of entry for your current active-duty period.
former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.

Cost for training depends on where you go.... a hunter safety course takes place on a Saturday and is free with the state covering the cost.

Private classes are available at different levels of cost. In large cities it (a CCW class) can cost up to $100. Many small instructors charge from $40 to $65. There is no set fee. I am an NRA Instructor and I give the class for an NRA Membership. The student shows me proof of his/her membership and I give them the class. I don't have a lot of money to send NRA but this way I am sending them 12 or 15 memberships a month.

I think the way Florida has it set up makes it at least a little more affordable.

Don

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
TA.... the license cost is $112. That is $70 license fee and $42 fingerprint processing fee.

As far as a concealed carry class.... Florida has recognized the fact that not all people have a lot of money. They have set up a number of ways that you can show "training". The Florida Statues list the following recognized proof of training.....
any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission orsimilar agency in another state;

any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Departmentof Agriculture and Consumer Services;

any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security officers, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified bythe National Rifle Association.

Cost for training depends on where you go.... a hunter safety course takes place on a Saturday and is free with the state covering the cost.

Private classes are available at different levels of cost. In large cities it (a CCW class) can cost up to $100. Many small instructors charge from $40 to $65. There is no set fee. I am an NRA Instructor and I give the class for an NRA Membership. The student shows me proof of his/her membership and I give them the class. I don't have a lot of money to send NRA but this way I am sending them 12 or 15 memberships a month.

I think the way Florida has it set up makes it at least a little more affordable.

Don
Thanks for the information!

It really does sound like yall have things set up pretty well. The guys I talked to took theirs at some range (they were from Tampa). I think its great what you do, that really is putting your money (along with your time) where your mouth is!

So it boils down to you can do it for as little as $112 in Florida vs Texas ~$240 (not including ammo)... We really need to follow your lead on this in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TA, there are a couple other ways one can show proof of training. I added them after I posted....

For instance if you have been in the military your DD214 is acceptable.

The Florida Legislators have recognized the natural right of people to defend themselves and the right of the people to keep and bear arms. While in these times there seems to be a demand for gun laws they have at least (under the circumstances) tried to make it as painless as possible.

It is not perfect, don't take me wrong, but it is a lot better than it could be!

Don

Reactions: TexasAviator
1 - 20 of 22 Posts