Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 809 with +- 500 rounds thru it. The gun operates fine but it has a lot of free play in the slide (side to side) and where the barrel rests in the frame. Wondering if this is normal?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Are you saying you can move the barrel when it's in battery, or that the barrel and slide both move together? It's normal for slide to frame fit to have a little play in it, but that barrel should stay locked to the slide. Also, "a lot of free play" is kind of subjective. How much free play?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barrel and slide move together, but I can "wiggle" the slide/barrel from side to side, appears to move about 1/16" or so. The rattle is what's annoying. The mag also rattles inside the frame. The gunshop guy said it was normal. Not sure I like his "normal".

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The really important thing is that the barrel stays locked to the slide. I could tell better if you posted a nice clear pic of the rear of the slide/frame. But almost any semi-auto slide will wiggle around a little bit. A lot of times you can buy a pistol, and when it's brand new the slide to frame fit is extremely tight, and they loosen up during break in. And at 500 rounds yours should just about be broke in. At this point I'm thinkin' the gun store guy was probably right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dbeardslee, I tried to download a pic, but I'm working rom my iPad and not sure how to find the pic. I'll keep trying, thanks
For your replies.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
No sweat. Post a pic when you get a chance. In the mean time if it's just wiggling a little I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's still shooting accurately. Semi auto slide to frame fit pretty much has to have a little wiggle room. What I would do is to inspect it and make sure you don't see anything that's obviously showing abnormal wear. Never hurts to look close.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
If it gets a bit too loose for your liking, Taurus will happily replace the barrel and slide parts. They did it on my 945 before i bought it, and the has worked flawlessly since i've owned it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's shoots great, and I've thoroughly inspected the slide rails for excess wear. I was just curious if anyone else had as much play in theirs.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
The slide on my 840 has a slight wiggle but barrel is rock solid. Mags do rattle but it’s not my CC weapon so not too concerned with that issue. My old Glock 22 slide wiggled a lot more than my 840.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
As long as the pistol puts the rounds where you tell it to I would not be concerned. A certain amount of play is a healthy design as it assists in getting gunky crud out of the weapon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I compared the movement of the 809 against my other pistols and although the 809 seemed to have more play than the others, they all have similar movement. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I compared the movement of the 809 against my other pistols and although the 809 seemed to have more play than the others, they all have similar movement. Thanks for all the input.
As they say in Iran, ayatollah you so. :D It's better to ask the question if something doesn't seem right - better safe than sorry. Now go shoot that sucker some more. :D

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Barrel and slide move together, but I can "wiggle" the slide/barrel from side to side, appears to move about 1/16" or so. The rattle is what's annoying. The mag also rattles inside the frame. The gunshop guy said it was normal. Not sure I like his "normal".
Mine rattles. Doesn't bother me, or prevent the gun from shooting really well.

ETA: Barrel doesn't move substantially without extreme force applied. Lockup is great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I bought my 809, I examined four of them before choosing mine due to the same side-to-side play in three of them. My 845 has some side-to-side play, but shoots great without absolutely any problems. So from my personal experience, as stated in the first sentence, you have ~25% chance of picking the gun without this kind of side-to-side play. This is not statement about all Taurus guns, but it was my experience from last gun show held in Portland OR this month.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts