Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like the title says, my new PT 92 is having problems consistently extracting fired rounds, resulting in jams. Happens with factory as well as aftermarket mags, and at least two different brands of ammo. Happens when the gun is clean or dirty, lightly or heavily lubed, SA or DA, slow or rapid fire. I'm loving everything else about this pistol, accuracy is outstanding, when it chambers it goes bang every time, trigger is more than acceptable both SA and DA. But I'm lucky to get through a full mag without at least one FTE, and most of the time, it's multiples.

So is this break-in pains, and I just need to keep shooting it? Today was my second range trip, first trip I put about 200 rounds through it with the factory mags, today was over 300 rounds with 3 new Mecgar 18 round mags. Or do I need to send it back to Taurus? Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I always make my disclaimer that I'm not expert on the subject but I do have a couple thoughts. First thing would be to make sure the extractor is not broken at the hook. I had a PT1911 have that happen. Just a tiny bit of the corner of the hook made it unreliable in extracting. Also while examining the extractor make sure it's clean under there so the hook can get a good grasp of the case lip.

Have you used any coated steel case ammo? Maybe take a brass brush and barrel cleaner and work around good in the chamber. That's the extent of what I can think of. Hopefully smarter folks will come along with the right answer. If not it may be time to contact Taurus.

·
Super Moderator
37,552 Posts
I don't have anything to add to Darbo's thought process, but will remind that Taurus will only pay shipping for a short period of time after the purchase of a new gun so don't delay on that end of it if you decide to send it for repair.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Just an echo...examine the extractor and the spring tension on it. It should be stiff but mobile. If you can manipulate it easily with a finger, the spring is probably the issue. These springs and parts are readily available and (depending on if this is a brand new store bought or just new to you gun) it may be less painful to just replace the spring yourself than sending it in.

The video is for a Beretta but basically the same thing :

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I might have found the problem, there were burrs on either side of the extractor pin holes through the slide. BTW, Beretta may use a pin with a head, but Taurus does not. Thanks for the vid, though, it helped.

Anyway, once I got the extractor out, I cleaned up the pin holes and knocked down the burrs. Cleaned everything very thoroughly too, of course. Got it back together, the extractor moves much more freely now, and there's noticeably more spring tension on it as well, pretty sure it was binding. Hope to sneak out to the range tomorrow for function testing, may not happen, but will update when I do. Later, and thanks, guys.

Dave

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Think I might have found the problem, there were burrs on either side of the extractor pin holes through the slide. BTW, Beretta may use a pin with a head, but Taurus does not. Thanks for the vid, though, it helped.

Anyway, once I got the extractor out, I cleaned up the pin holes and knocked down the burrs. Cleaned everything very thoroughly too, of course. Got it back together, the extractor moves much more freely now, and there's noticeably more spring tension on it as well, pretty sure it was binding. Hope to sneak out to the range tomorrow for function testing, may not happen, but will update when I do. Later, and thanks, guys.

Dave
Excellent I hope that solves the problem. Sounds like maybe it should.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was right, it was the burrs, problem seems to be solved. Made a quick stop at the range, put 5 mags through it without a single stoppage. Before, I was lucky if I'd only get one per mag, most of the time, it was multiples. Looking forward to shooting this beast a LOT more! Later, and than thanks!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
37,552 Posts
I was right, it was the burrs, problem seems to be solved. Made a quick stop at the range, put 5 mags through it without a single stoppage. Before, I was lucky if I'd only get one per mag, most of the time, it was multiples. Looking forward to shooting this beast a LOT more! Later, and than thanks!

Dave

Yay! They are a fabulous pistol when they run right.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts

Dave
I don't know all of the history of the gun but that certainly is a new one to me! Burrs on the extractor pin holes. Great find! Enjoy your 92!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Good news. Glad it worked out for you.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Dave
Sounds good! Glad you did not have to go through the Taurus CS nightmare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I was happy to avoid CS as well, very few companies seem to do that very well anymore, and Taurus does NOT have a reputation for being one of the good ones.

It was kind of a weird issue. Once I got the extractor out, I could see the burrs on both sides, it was as if the pin hole had been drilled from both sides with a dull drill. Seems like it should have been caught during assembly, that extractor should pretty much drop in, this one would have taken some effort, I had to resort to pliers to get it out. But at least it was an easy, obvious fix, and it really didn't take much time. Later.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts