Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
... Like I mentioned I like the dao for my wife...
The gun hasn't been 'converted to DAO'.

The hammer is following the slide down to the half cock notch. That is NOT a safe condition in ANY way, shape, form or fashion. DO NOT fire it again until it has been fixed. If the half cock notch fails or the sear slips, skips or breaks the gun will slam fire and might run away (go full auto but won't stop) if the damage is severe enough. Either way, I wouldn't want anybody shooting it- much less the woman I love and the mother of my children- until it gets fixed. Your kitchen table gun smithing has made it dangerous.

·
21,944 Posts
I suggest reading jtg452's post very carefully.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for that info. Will follow it. We'll see what transpires after I install the new spring. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The gun hasn't been 'converted to DAO'.

The hammer is following the slide down to the half cock notch. That is NOT a safe condition in ANY way, shape, form or fashion. DO NOT fire it again until it has been fixed. If the half cock notch fails or the sear slips, skips or breaks the gun will slam fire and might run away (go full auto but won't stop) if the damage is severe enough. Either way, I wouldn't want anybody shooting it- much less the woman I love and the mother of my children- until it gets fixed. Your kitchen table gun smithing has made it dangerous.
I don't think the PT92 will slam fire if the 1/2 cock notch fails. The firing pin block will still be intact unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. Only run away I've ever been around involved an M60 but that gun cooked off. I'd get the gun fixed professionally if it was mine. I'm sure Taurus would fix it for free other than your cost shipping it. Best way to insure it's repaired correctly..............Just my $.02

My last reply in this thread...........

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I don't think the PT92 will slam fire if the 1/2 cock notch fails. The firing pin block will still be intact unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. Only run away I've ever been around involved an M60 but that gun cooked off. I'd get the gun fixed professionally if it was mine. I'm sure Taurus would fix it for free other than your cost shipping it. Best way to insure it's repaired correctly..............Just my $.02
If it happens while firing, the trigger is still pulled when the slide finishes reciprocating. During the normal course of firing a single round, by the time the shooter has time to release the trigger, everything is all over and the gun is ready to be fired again. If the half cock notch or the sear fail in that situation, it'll double fire or possibly run away on you until you can release the trigger.

Considering the cyclic rate is gonna be outrageous, the recoil system isn't designed to slow a fully automatic cyclic rate down, just to absorb the recoil of single shots, I doubt a shooter would have the time to think of releasing the trigger- what with the surprise and trying to hang on to keep some semblance of control of the gun.

I've seen double fires (witnessed, not directly involved) happen a couple times on the range due to worn sears or broken half cock notches. That is some scary stuff. The 1911 I saw it happen to was firing so fast that I didn't notice the double fire because they were so close together that I couldn't hear them as distinctive shots. It sounded funny, so I looked up and I noticed the 2 empties in the air about 8 inches apart.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
This is the reason I've torn both of my 92s all the way down and removed all internal parts EXCEPT for the sear. That is one part that I really do not want to fail.

I had even been avoiding removing the trigger but finally took the one out of my oldest 92 today to install a stainless one that came in the mail. Right now I have it stripped completely down with nothing left inside BUT the sear so I can DuraBlue it next week. I'm going to take it to a shiny black, then install stainless parts like the trigger, trigger pin, trigger bar, mag release, slide catch, take down lever, and maybe safety levers just to give it some accents.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
This is the reason I've torn both of my 92s all the way down and removed all internal parts EXCEPT for the sear. That is one part that I really do not want to fail.

I had even been avoiding removing the trigger but finally took the one out of my oldest 92 today to install a stainless one that came in the mail. Right now I have it stripped completely down with nothing left inside BUT the sear so I can DuraBlue it next week. I'm going to take it to a shiny black, then install stainless parts like the trigger, trigger pin, trigger bar, mag release, slide catch, take down lever, and maybe safety levers just to give it some accents.

Now THAT I want to see!! :cool:

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
can't say for the 92 but I have witnessed two 1911 go full auto, both times from a table top trigger job.
Not sure what the cycle rate would be on a 92/99 but would imagine a "FEW" rounds would be gone before one could react and let the trigger go if you even thought about It.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just an update. Installed the new sear spring and everything is working ok. Hammer cocks and stays back. Can't push it off with my thumb. Functions as it should during 100 rounds of fire. Lightly polishing the components was worth it. Just my bad wrestling with that original spring. Hey,it happens. 95% of what I attempt usually works out ok. The other 5, well, that's what you guys are here for. LOL. Thanks again for the tips and heads up. Hope you all had a nice Christmas and wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Glad we could help. BTW, what was your billing address again? :D

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Originally Posted by CWB I'm going to take it to a shiny black, then install stainless parts like the trigger, trigger pin, trigger bar, mag release, slide catch, take down lever, and maybe safety levers just to give it some accents.

Now THAT I want to see!! :cool:
Here' the PT99. I'm not going to DuraBlue this one, it's in too good of shape to mess with. Not the best light (the left side PT92 stainless safety won't work on the non-decocker models) Traded barrels with my PT92afs for now. I'll have two like this except with black barrels:

DSCN1198.JPG DSCN1197.JPG

21 - 32 of 32 Posts