Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the pt92 trigger job. Just polish no d spring.Followed the video and everything is back correctly. Was NOT aggressive on polishing. I have done trigger work before. Very nice in da but can't lock trigger back in sa. Although SOMETIMES if I really yank on the hammer I can get it to stay. Also, when the grips were off I could get it to lock back if I pressed on the sear slightly. My guess is worn sear but I was careful. Anyone second this diagnosis?

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Check the sear and see if it has been moved in anyway..............
Could be a worn sear, but I kinda doubt it.................

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only other possibility is the sear spring. I had a hard time getting the spring on the sear according to the video. It kept on snapping back off the screwdriver numerous times. Maybe it lost some tension?

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
sounds like its time to move on to doing 1911 trigger jobs now!!
Seriously I haven't got the tools to properly do such and I really don't know enough to do this either, so if I am having a trigger job done then my gunsmith would do it.
hope you get it figured out though.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know I'm liking the dao. Worked fine at the range. It's primarily a house gun. Might be better for the wife. She does not shoot much and almost exclusively a revolver. Less controls to cope with. A revolver was fine but I convinced her 18 rounds are better the 6.

·
Super Moderator
35,570 Posts
IMO a fire control group that doesn't work as engineered is a gun that I don't want around my house. If you're OK with it, I suppose that's all that matters.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Another thing I just found. If I point the pistol straight up it will catch in sa.
Possibly you have a model 92AA-- (anti aircraft), its only designed to work in an up pointing direction!
Sorry--I know that I am not helping at all.------------------------:sorry1:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Possibly you have a model 92AA-- (anti aircraft), its only designed to work in an up pointing direction!
Sorry--I know that I am not helping at all.------------------------:sorry1:
No problem. I'm kinda of a joker myself. Never was against a little humor.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sounds like a spring problem
I second that. I'm going to get a sear spring from numrich. Just to have. Like I mentioned I like the dao for my wife. I think Taurus did make a pt92 dao themselves back in the day. Also I think there was a way to convert the sa/da pt92 to dao. Maybe using Beretta parts? All in all I think the polishing job did improve things. Just my screw up not getting the sear in/out easily. Eyes and dexterity not quite the same at 68. LOL.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have reached the age where I firmly believe to leave well enough alone.
I'm not even sure what the difference is between a good and bad trigger.
And the word 'job' in the procedure sounds like too much work.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I'd be scared to mess around with the "innards" of any of my guns...I'm no gunsmith.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Another thing I just found. If I point the pistol straight up it will catch in sa.
sounds a lot like the spring under the sear is out of place or you stressed it during the teardown/rebuild..
the weight of the sear is lifting up when you tilt the gun & its getting into position to catch (like it should -If the spring were functioning)
should be pretty easy ti fix.
should do the same thing if you turn the gun upside down.

you could just shoot it gangsta style
Gangsta-shooting.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sounds a lot like the spring under the sear is out of place or you stressed it during the teardown/rebuild..
the weight of the sear is lifting up when you tilt the gun & its getting into position to catch (like it should -If the spring were functioning)
should be pretty easy ti fix.
should do the same thing if you turn the gun upside down.

you could just shoot it gangsta style
View attachment 133822
Your description sounds right for what is happening. USUALLY I have no problems but just hit a sticking point getting the sear back in. Probably played with the spring too many times. It happens. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts