Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a trip, my son accidentaly left my P3AT under his pillow in his hotel room...long story. The hotel had signs posted "no firearms allowed on premises." We all checked out, in about 1/2 hour he realized he left my pistol for the cleaning lady to find. He went back to retrieve it, and the clerk had sent it to the police. Now in our state of Idaho, I'm pretty sure the clerk would have just saved it for us, but this was Clayton Missouri, close to St Louis, and alarm bells rang in my head. City ordinance? Not my son's weapon? My son not legal to carry concealed (even though I am)? I told him to walk away. Nice pistol, but it owed me nothing. 4-5000 rounds through it, 3 versions of jimmy rigged sights, not worth my son getting arrested or hassled. We were leaving to go back home.

Wrong decision?

Please advise.

Alex

"What you cain't duck, welcome" Cowboy wisdom
"Come what may and love it" Joseph B Wirtlin

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Whoooops

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sounds like quite the pickle. I'd start reading up on local laws. Sounds to me like it'd be fairly easy for them to follow up with whomever had checked into the room. Outside of that, IANAL and therefore cannot begin to give legal advice, but I'd certainly be concerned enough to read up on the depth of the problem, and be prepared to deal with the possible consequences. Was this firearm registered to any of you? So many things to think about...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
Rightness or wrongness is entirely up to you. I've lost things, expensive things - such as new 35mm camera with $$$$ telephoto lens - before through my total stupidity and recklessness. Oh, and that camera was back in the early '80s when those things ran ~ $1K.

Chalked it up to a life learning experience. I probably wouldn't sweat a 380 pocket pistol, as I have two, but that's just me. If I were to lose either of my SIGS, however, I would get really sick. Those things are $$$ and I saved for a long time to buy them. Also, our homeowners insurance don't cover guns - in fact our agent almost cancelled us out of coverage when we mentioned it. He looked at me and said he would pretend he didn't hear me then explained that they didn't cover guns and that discovery of firearms had nullified some claims in the past.

Assuming you didn't have any active insurance in the gun? If you did, and insurance would cover it, file a claim.

And, was the gun second hand or previously owned? The cops will have no trouble IDing you and your son as the guest who left it behind. So, not sure if they impound all left behind firearms and weapons or perform ballistics testing and serial number tracking in Idaho.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only registration for that gun was the background check when I bought it, and I don't think my dealer has to report it...I think. Not sure it would be worth the hassle for the police to get the info on my son from the hotel. We'll wait and see.
Sadly, I was getting close to having a good recipe for lead bullets and a good idea for sights that might have worked. Oh well.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Rightness or wrongness is entirely up to you. I've lost things, expensive things - such as new 35mm camera with $$$$ telephoto lens - before through my total stupidity and recklessness. Oh, and that camera was back in the early '80s when those things ran ~ $1K.

Chalked it up to a life learning experience. I probably wouldn't sweat a 380 pocket pistol, as I have two, but that's just me. If I were to lose either of my SIGS, however, I would get really sick. Those things are $$$ and I saved for a long time to buy them. Also, our homeowners insurance don't cover guns - in fact our agent almost cancelled us out of coverage when we mentioned it. He looked at me and said he would pretend he didn't hear me then explained that they didn't cover guns and that discovery of firearms had nullified some claims in the past.

Assuming you didn't have any active insurance in the gun? If you did, and insurance would cover it, file a claim.

And, was the gun second hand or previously owned? The cops will have no trouble IDing you and your son as the guest who left it behind. So, not sure if they impound all left behind firearms and weapons or perform ballistics testing and serial number tracking in Idaho.

Sounds like you need new insurance.
That kel-tec is gone. Make sure your local sheriff knows its gone, in case St Louis pd decide to use it for nefarious things.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Only registration for that gun was the background check when I bought it, and I don't think my dealer has to report it...I think. Not sure it would be worth the hassle for the police to get the info on my son from the hotel. We'll wait and see.
Sadly, I was getting close to having a good recipe for lead bullets and a good idea for sights that might have worked. Oh well.

If you put your SSN on the Ffl form ATF may be able to track the pistol. That said, I would still cover my butt and make sure YOU have a police report documenting it is no longer yours.

·
21,965 Posts
Yeah, "walk away" is the right answer here.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm living in FL now, and in FL you do not have to report a lost or stolen firearm, nor do you in ID and also MO, but in my old home state of NY it is a crime to not report a lost or stolen firearm, or even ammunition.

"New York requires any owner or other person lawfully in possession of a firearm or ammunition to report the loss or theft of the gun or ammunition to a police department or sheriff’s office within 24 hours of the discovery of the loss or theft. In addition, a firearms dealer or ammunition seller must report the loss or theft of ammunition within 24 hours of discovery of the loss or theft. A violation of these laws is punishable as a misdemeanor."

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Usually the local law in most places run the serial numbers to see if it is stolen. Some small towns don't do anything other than wait to see if it is claimed etc. Some large towns you can turn one in as stolen and if they recover it they do not call you. You have to check with them. I would write it off. A used one is not that expensive. We have given several to abused women over the years.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
If he checked into a hotel then they already have his information, especially if a credit card was used to register.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The police that have it now I'm sure have run the serial numbers to check to see if it has been reported stolen. I'd call your local police and let them know that it was lost while you were traveling. I had a shotgun stolen from me when I was packing to move to Mississippi. When I asked a state trooper what I should do he told me call the sheriff in the county where I was living when it was stolen and report the crime. That was March of 2012 and I have never heard back from them.

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
Sounds like you need new insurance.
That kel-tec is gone. Make sure your local sheriff knows its gone, in case St Louis pd decide to use it for nefarious things.
I might be in agreement as we were with one if the big name companies for 30 years; one my wife's youngest brother worked for as a claims adjudicator and later head of their IT division. He died a few years back so we really didn't feel "connected" with them any more and, indeed, our premiums for an all in one policy had gotten expensive. We redid all our coverage last year as I transitioned into retirement from medicine, and swapped to a small, no famous name, to save us a ton in premiums. My previous carrier, the one we have had for 30 years, actually covered my camera loss I described in my post. They did it "no questions asked" but I did supply the model info, not receipts, for the camera and the lens.

I can live with what I got now as I don't travel extensively or put my guns at high risk. It was funny, though, to see an agent react so quickly to the word gun or gun safe. I know I can always get firearms coverage thru NRA or USCCA but, we're still in a small town with little to no crime rate in our subdivision.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I'd call the police department and report it missing. Who knows, if in fact it made it to the police station. The housekeeper may have found herself a nice little handgun..... that could get out on the streets of St. Louis.
If it's at the police department and you can prove it's yours, go claim it.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I left a pistol in a Fairfield in one morning. I got down the road about 30-minutes when I realized that it was still under the mattress. I turned around immediately and went back to the hotel. Thankfully, they had not cleaned it yet and being Platinum with Marriott, they had no problem giving me a new key to the room. Moral to the story, always store your gun in a suitcase, bag, or briefcase.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Since MO is a Castle Doctrine state your motel room is your castle and themotel cannot prohibit your having a firearm.
Call the Clayton PD andreport it. If they don't have it the motel does...or the cleaning people do. In that case you won't see it again.

·
Banned
860 Posts
Well the police need a lost weapon report because the mail might have taken it and it could wind up being used for drug deals and it can and will be traced back to you. If you were with your son at the hotel, why didn't you turn it in as yours? That was the son is out of the picture. I bet the police do not have the gun. If they do they would have to return it to you as they can't keep personal property unless it was used in a crime.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,836 Posts
I would file it with my local LEO as lost on the trip. Location unknown. That way if it shows up later, it's on record when it left your possession. Jmho

Reactions: mingaa
1 - 20 of 55 Posts