Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. drop and loose your takedown pin in the house you have to mail pistol in for that one part. 4 week turnaround.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Probably a "restricted" part,been there,done that.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, restricted part, (what she said) have to mail 738 in if you were to loose it. Could just give it to my cnc buddy! Thats one part i would like to have extra. Its a lawyer thing i guess. Alot of other companies hand out parts our you can purchase them. That theory of bussiness is harder to understand at 60 after growing up with the likes of Sears & Roebuck.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
This is about as dumb as the mag release assembly being a supposedly restricted part. I'm not believing this (not you OP, Taurus).

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
Taurus really needs to re-evaluate this policy.

1. It cost them may more money in time and postage then the part is worth.
2. Most people would be willing to pay for the part and shipping = lost revenue.
3. Customer satisfaction. After all that is the name of the game.
4. Any part that comes off as part of standard field stripping should not be restricted, along with grip screws and sight parts.
5. If you are that worried about legal issues, put a legal cover your butt card in with all parts.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have a Savage Axis rifle and while it is a great gun, many complain about the heavy trigger pull. Many owners have shown on Youtube how to cut the trigger spring a bit to lower the pull from say 7 lbs to 5 or 3 etc. I thought I may try that but before I mucked things up, I went on-line to Savage with the intent of ordering a spare spring in case I screwed mine up. Lo and behold, the spring is only $2 but Savage will only ship one to a gunsmith. Again, a way to protect themselves from cowboys who go too far with these mods.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Wow. drop and loose your takedown pin in the house you have to mail pistol in for that one part. 4 week turnaround.
Hi there,

This might seem like a silly suggestion but can you borrow a metal detector (or own one) to search for the part? Those things are very sensitive.

It's worth trying IMO before you ship off your weapon.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Being one of those lucky few who actually read the Owners Manuals, they tell you about restricted parts in there. WE are the reason why parts aren't available today from many manufacturers. WE screwed around with replacement parts, and then, WE sued the manufacturer.

Over the years, I've lost some parts, latest was a screw that holds the magazine tube into the barrel of a Remington Model 552. The whole screw is under 3/16" long, and has three threads on it. Luckily, my Tabby was there when it hit the floor. I thought, "here we go" when it hit the floor, but the cat had it in his paws before it stopped bouncing. For that he was given a big treat. Now, whenever I go down to work on guns, he's right there.

The four week turnaround is a boiler-plate answer to anyone who asks. I would imagine that it will take much less time. For myself, small parts go into bins while I work on the gun. The screw from the 552 was sitting on the table, ready to be placed in a bin, when the gun exploded apart (anyone who has taken a 552 apart knows what I mean).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the slide and mag release, i would pay $6 each plus uspo,, and prob 6 for the take down pin. Hell i usually send all parts to ccrrefinishing.com for plating, i take whole gun apart ship pieces then put the dang thing back together when mary and brad are finished. Like the one below: I would have liked to have done my tcp738, but i am a tinker, i like doing it myself. I dont want to hassle brad and mary. If one of the parts breaks, they'ed hav to wait too, even though they are gunsmith's. The member up above has it rite. Big T needs to rethink the part issues.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Moral of the story - don't lose the takedown pin. ;)

Reactions: sasquatch40

·
Registered
796 Posts
Being one of those lucky few who actually read the Owners Manuals, they tell you about restricted parts in there. WE are the reason why parts aren't available today from many manufacturers. WE screwed around with replacement parts, and then, WE sued the manufacturer.

Over the years, I've lost some parts, latest was a screw that holds the magazine tube into the barrel of a Remington Model 552. The whole screw is under 3/16" long, and has three threads on it. Luckily, my Tabby was there when it hit the floor. I thought, "here we go" when it hit the floor, but the cat had it in his paws before it stopped bouncing. For that he was given a big treat. Now, whenever I go down to work on guns, he's right there.

The four week turnaround is a boiler-plate answer to anyone who asks. I would imagine that it will take much less time. For myself, small parts go into bins while I work on the gun. The screw from the 552 was sitting on the table, ready to be placed in a bin, when the gun exploded apart (anyone who has taken a 552 apart knows what I mean).
I just re-read my owner's manual (with a magnifying glass as the print font is about size 4 and the manual itself is about 4" x 5" but I digress) and I did not find any mention of "restricted" parts. Just sayin' :confused:

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
"25
P T 7 3 8 T C P
ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION AND FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.
SAFETY FIRST:
PARTS
All firearms require periodic maintenance and inspection which may
reveal a need for adjustment or repair. Have your firearm checked by a
competent gunsmith annually, even if it seems to be working well,
since breakage, improper functioning, undue wear, or corrosion of
some components may not be apparent from external examination. If
you notice ANY mechanical malfunction, do NOT continue to use the
firearm. UNLOAD the firearm and take it to a competent gunsmith
immediately.
Our Service Department maintains a full complement of replacement
parts for our firearms of current manufacture. Even though most
gunsmiths have the knowledge, training and ability to make the
necessary repairs to your firearm, the skill and workmanship of any
particular gunsmith is totally beyond our control. Should your firearm
ever require service, we strongly recommend that you return it to
Taurus. Follow the instructions outlined below. Remember,
unauthorized adjustments or parts replacement can void your
warranty.
It is the responsibility of the purchaser to be absolutely certain that
any parts ordered from Taurus are of the correct type and are properly
fitted and installed by a competent person. THIS FIREARM IS A
PRECISION MECHANISM AND THE IMPROPER FITTING OF PARTS OR
IMPROPER MECHANICAL ADJUSTMENT MAY RESULT IN A DANGEROUS
MALFUNCTION, DAMAGE TO THE FIREARM, AND POSSIBLE SERIOUS
INJURY TO THE SHOOTER OR TO OTHERS. Therefore, the purchaser
and/or installer of parts must accept full responsibility for the correct
adjustment of and function of the firearm after such installation has
been made or attempted."

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have a Savage Axis rifle and while it is a great gun, many complain about the heavy trigger pull. Many owners have shown on Youtube how to cut the trigger spring a bit to lower the pull from say 7 lbs to 5 or 3 etc. I thought I may try that but before I mucked things up, I went on-line to Savage with the intent of ordering a spare spring in case I screwed mine up. Lo and behold, the spring is only $2 but Savage will only ship one to a gunsmith. Again, a way to protect themselves from cowboys who go too far with these mods.
Yep, I lost the washer between the firing pin springs on a .308 savage axis,same deal...but a grade 8 washer that I oil hardened works just fine.

·
Registered
796 Posts
"25
P T 7 3 8 T C P
ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION AND FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.
SAFETY FIRST:
PARTS
All firearms require periodic maintenance and inspection which may
reveal a need for adjustment or repair. Have your firearm checked by a
competent gunsmith annually, even if it seems to be working well,
since breakage, improper functioning, undue wear, or corrosion of
some components may not be apparent from external examination. If
you notice ANY mechanical malfunction, do NOT continue to use the
firearm. UNLOAD the firearm and take it to a competent gunsmith
immediately.
Our Service Department maintains a full complement of replacement
parts for our firearms of current manufacture. Even though most
gunsmiths have the knowledge, training and ability to make the
necessary repairs to your firearm, the skill and workmanship of any
particular gunsmith is totally beyond our control. Should your firearm
ever require service, we strongly recommend that you return it to
Taurus. Follow the instructions outlined below. Remember,
unauthorized adjustments or parts replacement can void your
warranty.
It is the responsibility of the purchaser to be absolutely certain that
any parts ordered from Taurus are of the correct type and are properly
fitted and installed by a competent person. THIS FIREARM IS A
PRECISION MECHANISM AND THE IMPROPER FITTING OF PARTS OR
IMPROPER MECHANICAL ADJUSTMENT MAY RESULT IN A DANGEROUS
MALFUNCTION, DAMAGE TO THE FIREARM, AND POSSIBLE SERIOUS
INJURY TO THE SHOOTER OR TO OTHERS. Therefore, the purchaser
and/or installer of parts must accept full responsibility for the correct
adjustment of and function of the firearm after such installation has
been made or attempted."
I read that JR. All I was saying is the the word "restricted" or the phrase "restricted parts" does not appear. At least not to me. Savage actually writes "This component is restricted to gunsmiths". No where in the TCP manual does Taurus tell you a part cannot be purchased.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Klo, call em up an ask for a take down pin, and get back with us. I'd like to have a bunch of extra parts, I'd send all small parts and mags to ccrrefinishing for nitrite-borite plating. Most members above agree a policy change would be nice.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Taurus is NOT an American company. They have a more European attitude about "home gunsmithing". Try calling up Hk, and ordering internal parts. Taurus USA still, after all is said and done, is not the tail that wags the dog. Policy is set in Brazil, and buyers will follow that policy. The OP was informed of that policy upon calling.

America, and Americans, routinely ignore this: "TAURUS SERVICE POLICY
Before shipment your firearm was carefully inspected and test fired in order
to ensure that it conformed to our specifications and standards. Should your
firearm require adjustment or repair, we strongly recommend that you return
it to Taurus for factory service.
If there is any question regarding the performance of your firearm, please
WRITE to our Service Department fully describing all circumstances and
conditions involved. If our Service Department makes the determination that
your firearm requires factory service, you will be so advised and will be
given instructions for the most expeditious handling of your shipment.
Our Service Department will give your firearm a complete inspection, and
evaluate the problem(s) specified in your letter. If the work required is not
covered under the terms of our “Warranty,” (when applicable) you will
receive an actual cost quotation, not an estimate. Any repair work must be
authorized by you, and no work will be done without your expressed
approval.
Please follow these suggestions to expedite service in the United States of
America to return any firearm to us for adjustment or repair:
1. Federal law permits you to return your firearm to the manufacturer for
service via common carriers such as United Parcel Service (UPS).
However, state and local firearms laws vary greatly; you should consult your
local prosecuting attorney regarding any restrictive laws in your jurisdiction
regarding your shipment or receipt of firearms. With the above in mind, it is
strongly recommended that any firearm sent to us for repair be sent through
a Federally licensed dealer.
2. All firearms must be shipped to us prepaid. WE WILL NOT ACCEPT
COLLECT SHIPMENTS.
3. Be sure to enclose a letter stating serial number, caliber and barrel length
of your firearm. Also state nature of trouble experienced or work required.
Merely stating “defective” or “repair as necessary” is inadequate
information. Be specific and enclose copies of any previous
correspondence. Please keep a record of your serial number. Work (other
than warranty repair) will bear minimum labor charge of $10.00.
4. FIREARMS MUST BE SHIPPED UNLOADED. Double check the
chamber of your firearm before shipping. If firearms are sent to Taurus in a
loaded condition, we are required by law to notify the Federal authorities.
5. DO NOT include telescopic sights, custom grips, holsters, or other acces-
sories with any firearm shipped to us."

Instead, we call Customer Service, rant at a non-gunsmith about what "we" have determined to be a problem, and expect Taurus to magically ship, repair, and return the firearm in minutes. Brothers, if we could have a dime for every "defective" gun that is the result of dirt, poor grip, or unreasonable performance, we'd be capable of OWNING Taurus. Heck, if we got an additional nickel for every gun bought without, apparently, ever having been examined by the buyer prior to buying, we'd be the Mayor of New York City.

Losing a take-down pin puts you at the mercy of the manufacturer, due to a lack of due diligence. Same as losing a screw, or breaking a part while attempting to reassemble a gun. It's life, get on with it.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I don't consider a breakdown pin any different than I would a replacement sight or sight screw, recoil springs, magazine, mag release assembly. I lost front and rear sights off my new PT24/7 CA at range. Never occurred to me that I should check a new weapon for loose sight screws - my fault lost? Yeah, probably. However, Taurus sent sight and screws under warranty (front sight still on backorder for 3 months or so). I could understand having restricted parts for the trigger or firing mechanisms, but a breakdown pin is a ridiculous item to be restricted and it's ludicrous policy on Taurus' part regardless of where their policies are set, which is a cause of undue expense, not only for the customer, but themselves.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts