Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
whie shooting my 1911, i experienced an issue where the slide would only partially return to battery. Turns out the firing pin stop had slipped partially down and was catching on the hammer. I think the stop is quite loose in it's slots in the slide but thought the firing pin should have retained it.
fix suggestions?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
One small drop of silicone sealant should hold the firing pin stop in place but still removable when needed.
Or buy a new oversize firing pin stop.
Or buy a new firing pin spring.
Or reverse the spring, in case it is directional. Try this first.
The firing pin should not be moving so far forward that the FPS can drop down it there is a case in the chamber.
Another possibility is the FP is too short.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one point i didn't mention, it happened after the last round was fired. I have opened a dialog with RIA service about it and I will see what they suggest. I'd like to not have to incure the cost and hassle of sending it in. I have some manuals as well as a couple other 1911's i can do parts swaps with over the weekend.
But tomorrow, i am off for a 1/2 day gambling cruise out of Port Canaveral so if things go well i will just throw it away and buy a new one.

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
I have never had this happen with a 1911 myself, and some of mine are pretty loose.
typically the hammer will not./ can not push the rear of the firing pin in far enough to clear the hole in the block.
personally I would just ask Armscor if they wouldn't send me a new firing pin stop.
the other option is take a small chisel and stake the firing pin block to the side of the slide a very little and lock it in place.
course IF and when you do want to remove it then you will need to deal with the stake portion.

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
RIA customer support said they are very sorry, and they have shipped out a new firing pin spring and block, N/C which they think sill solve my issue.
Typical RIA service from what I have experienced and read about.
I believe that you are talking about the Firing Pin Stop??--the small flat metal plate with hole in it at the rear of the gun that keeps the firing pin in place?
seems some are thinking that you are talking about the Firing Pin Block, as in series 80 design that prevents the Firing pin from moving unless the trigger is pulled to the rear?
I had a tad of problem at first understanding exactly what you were speaking of.

Reactions: muddcatt54
1 - 10 of 10 Posts