Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.running a box of Browning BPR 22 long rifle HV through the pistol, shooting double taps. About half way through the box I pulled the trigger and experienced a much larger report, the magazine came out of the pistol and something hit my left index finger ( my trigger finger-I'm left handed) REALLY hard.

Further inspection showed that the round suffered a case head failure. Did a little research and found other examples of this type of failure with this round. The round is actually made by Winchester and while researching the ammo, found that it's been discontinued.

The really good news is there was no damage to the pistol and the damage to my finger was blast damage not debris damage. It's been a few days and my finger still feels like it was hit with a hammer about a week ago but other than that no pistol damage whatsoever and that includes the magazine that was blown out of the pistol.

I ordered a case of CCI Tactical that will be here tomorrow-I know it won't blow up on me and I'm hoping the copper plated bullets will reduce the leading I'm experiencing-----but I kinda doubt it.馃槑

Glad you are ok. TX22 takes a licking and keeps on .......thanks for your report.

Super Moderator
Glad your finger is intact. :D I got a blood blister on my finger a few weeks ago while chronographing some 7mm Rem Mag handloads. Was my fault, case must've had some dirt dauber nest remains I didn't see or get out. The case over-pressured and separated at the case head and my finger was in front of the port which on a Savage rifle bleeds off pressure in case of this very event. I've got 50 new pieces of 7 mag brass I'm going to load for hunting. It's sealed in a plastic bag, so the danged dirt daubers can't get at it. :rofl: Concerning the finger, I got a blood blister on it, popped that, and it's all healed up now. :D

I think I shall avoid Browning .22 ammo. I don't need any .22 ammo at present. I hoarded all I could get during the shortage when I could get it. Now, I'm sitting on quite a stash and though I shoot a lot of it on my back yard range, it's going to take a while to get through all that. :D None of it's browning, buncha various CCI, Remington, Winchester, Federal, Aguila, etc.

Reactions: MARINEDIVISIONTWO

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YIKES!!!!

People may be tempted by the price I'm seeing the Browning BPR being listed at-I won't be buying any of it.

I'm assuming Browning pulled the plug on this ammo (which is really Winchester black box) because Midway has it in stock but it's listed as "discontinued"....

As a serious 22 rimfire shooter for my entire 66 years, I can't begin to imagine how many hundreds of thousands of 22 rounds I've probably fired and with probably just about every brand available and I NEVER had a case head failure. As stated, the Browning ammo was really just Winchester black box and I found quite a few examples of case failure. Not a factor for me though, I've felt that Winchester rimfire ammo turned to crap about 20 years ago and I don't use it. If I'd done my proper research beforehand, I never would have purchased the Browning ammo in the first place.

Super Moderator
Oddly, Winchester 333 bulk in the WHITE box is so mild it won't function in ANY of my semi autos except a cheap little Phoenix Arms HP22 which has a spring that came out of a bic pen. I've got a partial box of it I hang on to just in case I wanna actually SHOOT that HP22, which is rare. I mean, I have REAL .22s in the safe. :rofl:

Registered
yepppp!
I avoid that stuff like the plague!
any of my semi autoes rifle or pistol that i try to shoot with it is a constant problem, will not fire, will not chamber, will not extract, will not eject.
honestly I would not take it to the range wiht my weapons if they agve it to me, not worth the headahes.
course different weapons like different ammo, just no 7-8 of my 22 like this stuff.
mean while back at the remmy Golden bullet and Thunderbolt farm everything is peaceful and running well, federal does well for me too!

Reactions: NativeTexan

Registered
Oddly, Winchester 333 bulk in the WHITE box is so mild it won't function in ANY of my semi autos except a cheap little Phoenix Arms HP22 which has a spring that came out of a bic pen. I've got a partial box of it I hang on to just in case I wanna actually SHOOT that HP22, which is rare. I mean, I have REAL .22s in the safe. :rofl:
That was my experience as well, my TX22 would stove pipe, or not even pick up the next round when I fired Winchester 333 through it.

Super Moderator
yepppp!
I avoid that stuff like the plague!
any of my semi autoes rifle or pistol that i try to shoot with it is a constant problem, will not fire, will not chamber, will not extract, will not eject.
honestly I would not take it to the range wiht my weapons if they agve it to me, not worth the headahes.
course different weapons like different ammo, just no 7-8 of my 22 like this stuff.
mean while back at the remmy Golden bullet and Thunderbolt farm everything is peaceful and running well, federal does well for me too!
Of course, my Rossi REVOLVER will run about anything. :D

Registered
Heres the first issue I witnessed It was a cold week two weeks ago and magazines were already loaded up,My BIL shot all 16 rounds no issues he remove empty mag and drops 1 onto cement floor and shatters apart,he did not want to try this on his second mag I am seeing now that dropped mags are not very strong when very cold and even brittle from the very cold,it was 26 degrees.Anyone else have a similar experience,the frame is of a thicker composite but mags thinner and tend to get very brittle,the story ending is Dont Drop Your Magazines even when warmer weather prevails. MDT/Bill

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
26 degrees? Yeah, we don't see that too often down here-I'd probably shatter if I fell on the concrete!!!!! ��

Registered
Heres the first issue I witnessed It was a cold week two weeks ago and magazines were already loaded up,My BIL shot all 16 rounds no issues he remove empty mag and drops 1 onto cement floor and shatters apart,he did not want to try this on his second mag I am seeing now that dropped mags are not very strong when very cold and even brittle from the very cold,it was 26 degrees.Anyone else have a similar experience,the frame is of a thicker composite but mags thinner and tend to get very brittle,the story ending is Dont Drop Your Magazines even when warmer weather prevails. MDT/Bill

Give Taurus a call. They may replace the mag.

Registered
Early model CZ had a magazine Brake for just this reason, you had to remove the magazine from the gun with your hand once it was released about halfway with the mag release!
course you didn't loose many mags in the 3 foot of snow either.
I don't think any of the American destined CZ have this anymore.

Glad you're okay! And thanks for the report; did you get any pictures?

Registered
Aww man, I have a couple hundred rounds of that ammo too! Glad you and your TX22 are no worse for wear.

Registered
Dam, dude. Why you so hard on the little Phoenix? I have one with both barrels & it is a great little shooter. Even my gun snob BIL likes it. Disconnect all of the redundant safeties & you'll find it's a nice little gun. ( UTUBE HP22 safeties)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts