Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I'm have been looking tonget started in reloading for a while. I'm kinda looking at the Lee 4 hole turret press. Also looking for suggestions on a decent tumbler. Thank you
I started with a single stage Lee press but soon graduated to the 4 hole turret. The turret press can be used as a single stage if you want, or you can load one cartridge every 4 strokes of the handle. I like them both. I also have a progressive press but it is not for the impatient or temperamental user, as the press itself can be as temperamental AS the user, or more so. My vote is for the 4 hole turret. But, I only use a powder measure on the press for light everyday plinker loads. I load heavier loads using an electronic digital powder dispenser. PM me of you would like to chat.
hombre

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
I started out with a Lee Turret of the four hole variety some 15 years ago and it still does everything I need to to load. I do them all from .32 ACP to 44 Mag, 223 Rem to 45-70. I started with an FA vibratory tumbler and the motor bearing went out 2 years in. The Harbor Freight two drum rock tumbler is versatile and can do dry media or SS Pins. Most of what I clean now is done in the FA Platinum Tumbler with SS pins.

Get at least one reloading manual, maybe two and read all about it! It's a great hobby and will keep you shooting in times like this.

·
Administrator
39,354 Posts
Google Dillon Precision. In my opinion, they make the finest presses on the planet. Their customer service is second to none. I just received a 9mm conversion for my machine a couple of days ago.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,819 Posts
Another vote for the Lee 4-hole classic turret and wet stainless pins to clean. I knew I would tire quickly, of a single stage. I also have a progressive, but 90% of the time it’s the turret.

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
If i order the deluxe kit from midway what else do I need

For this kit I would add a digital scale...20-25 bucks. The beam scale they provide works but I prefer the digital type.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013020237

I don't see that it includes any dies, so you'll need a four die set for every caliber you want to load and the "turret" which is the plate that holds the dies. I niw use a Lee Universal Decapping die that is set in one of the blank turrets that I have. You can decap dirty dies before cleaning and keep your resizing dies clean and scratch free.

If you are going to reload rifle calibers you will need a resizing lube as those dies are not carbide. I use the Lee Lube in the tube and mix it with isopropyl alcohol and spray my cases for resizing.

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
Here's a guy who makes his own spray with lanolin and alcohol. I use a tiny spray bottle from eyeglass cleaner and squirt a healthy bunch of the Lee lube in and fill with 96% isopropyl. I put the cases in a plastic bag, spritz, shake and repeat a few times. Wet or dry they resize quite easily. I may buy lanolin next time.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,819 Posts
Thanks CB for the video.
:hand2:

I would suggest that the lanolin be put in first. That way you could rinse the funnel with the alcohol as you pour it in. I will try this before I run out of “one shot”.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
Thanks CB for the video.
:hand2:

I would suggest that the lanolin be put in first. That way you could rinse the funnel with the alcohol as you pour it in. I will try this before I run out of “one shot”.
The Lee lube in the tube is probably mostly lanolin but is a white paste. I put that in my small spray bottle and then fill with alcohol leaving room to shake it up well. I'll keep shaking it to mix and keep the aspirator tube from clogging. In that little 3 or 4 ounce bottle I'll be able to lube hundreds of cases before it needs a refill. The 96% alcohol flashes off faster and if the coating after it dries is not milky white, add more lube and shake.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
The deluxe kit comes with lee sizing lube. Not the best but it works.
You need a good caliper.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012741342?pid=417494
I used the lee lube from the kit, then switched to the RCBS Case Lube kit. It is sticky as heck but it never fails. And it is water soluble so a damp rag will wipe off the cases when loaded and the lube won't harm the powder. If you use a spray lube make sure you don't spray the necks. It can cause oil dents in the shoulder which reduces case capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9336-Case-Lube-Kit/dp/B007ZZO7XY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=RCBS+case+lube+kit&qid=1600010731&sr=8-1

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
I have went the entire route of presses, started with a Single station, went to a turret, thought hey this progressive thing sound neat-- nope not for me- went back to the Turret and haven't looked back and that was some time back.
everybody has their likes and dislikes!
NEW LOADER -- one thing that you will likely need is a Bullet Puller.
I use the older vibratory cleaner that uses a dry media to clean myself, its a lot easier to me than mixing ingredients, then having to strain the brass /media apart, then rinsing and then drying the brass, but again to each their own.
a scale, a [powder measure, a powder trickler, a bullet puller, dies of course, a lot depends on what you get in a kit, or if you buy a kit or a press and individual parts, and of course a manual, I prefer the lee manual as it covers a lot more different manufactures components than say Speer, Hornady, etc manuals.
enjoy and IF you have a friend that reloads then use their knowledge to get you started.

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
I have went the entire route of presses, started with a Single station, went to a turret, thought hey this progressive thing sound neat-- nope not for me- went back to the Turret and haven't looked back and that was some time back.
everybody has their likes and dislikes!
NEW LOADER -- one thing that you will likely need is a Bullet Puller.
I use the older vibratory cleaner that uses a dry media to clean myself, its a lot easier to me than mixing ingredients, then having to strain the brass /media apart, then rinsing and then drying the brass, but again to each their own.
a scale, a [powder measure, a powder trickler, a bullet puller, dies of course, a lot depends on what you get in a kit, or if you buy a kit or a press and individual parts, and of course a manual, I prefer the lee manual as it covers a lot more different manufactures components than say Speer, Hornady, etc manuals.
enjoy and IF you have a friend that reloads then use their knowledge to get you started.
Yeah, but you probably still have your Scott Air Pac to wear when to separate the media and brass.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
For whatever it's worth, my opinion is the Lee Classic Turret press is the best value and best all-a-round press made for the average reloader. It is more versatile and faster than a single stage and simpler than a progressive with nowhere near the learning curve. It will handle even the smallest pistol cartridge yet strong enough to do large bottlenecks.

No you are not going to be able to do much necking down or swagging like you can on some of the big Single Stage presses nor would you try to crank out a couple thousand rounds in a couple hours either like on a full blown progressive. But then not every reloader is trying to accomplish those tasks.

As others are mentioning, at this time finding components such as bullets, powders and primers and even some tooling is near impossible.

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
For whatever it's worth, my opinion is the Lee Classic Turret press is the best value and best all-a-round press made for the average reloader. It is more versatile and faster than a single stage and simpler than a progressive with nowhere near the learning curve. It will handle even the smallest pistol cartridge yet strong enough to do large bottlenecks.

No you are not going to be able to do much necking down or swagging like you can on some of the big Single Stage presses nor would you try to crank out a couple thousand rounds in a couple hours either like on a full blown progressive. But then not every reloader is trying to accomplish those tasks.

As others are mentioning, at this time finding components such as bullets, powders and primers and even some tooling is near impossible.
That's what I've always told new reloaders also. The Turret will handle most people's ammo production needs up to 1-2,000 rounds per month and of course that's dependent upon the time allotted to the hobby. 100-150 rounds per hour is a comfortable pace, less when new and double checking the operation often. It's when a shooter gets heavily into competition, shooting a few matches and practicing multiple times per month that the need for speed and output increases into progressive press territory. When I was shooting USPSA and going to the range four times each month the Turret took care of my needs just fine.

I do reform 30-30 cases to load 32 Winchester Special and also form my own 300 BLK cases from cut down .223 brass, along with loading 45-70 with 405 grain LFN for the Springfield so the capability of the Lee Deluxe Turret has been adequate for those operations.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
The deluxe kit comes with lee sizing lube. Not the best but it works.
You need a good caliper.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012741342?pid=417494
Driswalds is correct in that you need a godd caliper and not those 15 dollar cheapos that accuracy is questionable. I highly recommend https://www.ideaengineering.us/?ec_store=pageid1904modelnumber100-700-06 There is free shipping, no sales tax, quick shipping and their discount code is Idea5off .

You'll also need a kinetic bullet puller, to take apart ammo. Everyone makes mistakes. A different reloading manual is good so you can compare your reloading data betwen the two. Powder manufactures have online reloading data with their brands of powder, wihich is an excellent resourse. And as mentioned, you need; dies, empty brass cases, primers, powder and bullets. There has been a run on many of these items and are hard to find.

Read your manuals, choose which caliber and weight of bullet you're reloading and select a powder you want you want to use and try to find it and the approriate sized primer. Good Luck

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
Yeah, but you probably still have your Scott Air Pac to wear when to separate the media and brass.
Why of course--although we went to a positive pressure mask quite a few years back, but wearing the SCBA does keep small children and scared old women away as I look like the Creature from the Black lagoon when cleaning brass!
need to figure out a way to drink my Beer while doing this???

Reactions: kmw1954
1 - 20 of 32 Posts