Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. With all the chaos that is our world these days I was finally able to talk my wife into me getting a handgun. I have owned other long guns over the years hunting but my wife and her family seem to be scared of handguns. I personally think it’s just a fear of the unknown. I will be showing her that I am taking all the safety steps I can. My 1st priority like all of y’all I am sure is the safety of your Family. I am on a budget so won’t be able go crazy out there. This 1st handgun I am looking to get one that I can Carry then hopefully later get a Home Defense gun. I am 5’10 and 200lbs so I am a bit stocky. What budget CCWs do y’all recommend? Thank y’all for any advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I think the Taurus G2C is the best gun for you.
It's simple, reliable, inexpensive, compact for carrying, and has great capacity for a compact gun (12+1).
The G2C also has a manual safety, which I think is imperitive for a beginner. The G2C's safety is a great one too. It's light and crisp; easy to both engage and disengage.

The advantages of a revolver are: extremely simple, extremely reliable, and easy to use. The disadventages are: only 5 or 6 rounds, and slow to reload.
The advantages of a semi-auto are: greater capacity, fast & easy to reload. The disadvantages are: more complicated, and a slight possibility to misfire.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Since you're on the Taurus Armed forum, I'll recommend the Taurus PT111 G2 9 mm. I've seen them priced between $190 - $240 new. They come with 2x12 round magazines. The ergonomics are excellent and it goes bang every time.

Only down sides: Poor finishing inside the slide (tooling marks); Not going into battery after firing (this issue goes away after a couple hundred rounds); And I'm not impressed with Taurus customer service.

Good Points: Excellent concealed carry size; Second Strike capability; Plenty of holster makers; External Safety (if that is what you want); Standard rail for light attachment; Not too bad of a trigger; Adjustable rear sight;

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you go with a semi-auto, the least expensive ammo in a good defensive caliber is 9mm. That could become important for practice purposes. You want to shoot plenty of practice rounds to become confident and competent with the gun. And not just at first; continual practice is important, too.

If you decide on a revolver, be aware that the smallest, lightest ones in .38 spl. can be difficult for new shooters. I would recommend a steel model, and maybe a 4" barrel rather than 2". A 3" barrel would be my ideal but they aren't as readily available. If you buy a .357, it will also shoot the less expensive .38 spl. ammo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone so far for your replies and info. I have been looking at a G2C and it seems like a very good good for the price. You know how it is it just seems Taurus has so much hate from the other groups I wanted to come here to where the people here actually use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
21,971 Posts
The G2C is a really good pistol, but my two standard do-it-all handgun recommendations are the 3" .357 Magnum revolver, and the Commander size 1911.

The most versatile, useful handgun around is a 3" .357 revolver. They aren't too hard to shoot well, because of the sight radius of the 3" barrel. But that barrel isn't too hard to conceal, either. And .357 is one of the greatest handgun rounds of all time. I'd say it and .45ACP pretty much are the best two. Which is better depends on the application. But .357 can be a lot to handle, so the icing on the cake is that a .357 will also shoot .38 special. So that revolver will shoot anything from pussycat .38 target loads to hard cast lead slugs that would ruin a mountain lion's day. Models worth considering include the Ruger GP100 or SP101, the Charter Mag Pug, the new Colt King Cobra (spendy), or the Taurus 692. Full disclosure, I've held a grudge against S&W since the Clinton administration, and they can take a hike. But I have heard some very disturbing things about their quality control and customer service recently, too.

Now, here's another big advantage of a double action revolver. Snap caps let you can do some really effective training dirt cheap. If you want to, you can also buy laser rounds for even better training, although that takes the cost from $20 to $120. But you can train exactly as you'd fight. Very, very effective. And of course most of these revolvers give you the option of using the safe, smooth DA trigger, or thumb cocking for a more precise shot. It's one of the best advantages of the traditional modern revolver.

A 1911 with a 4" or 4.25" barrel is another very, very versatile handgun. The 1911 is the greatest fighting handgun of all time. The ergonomics are exceptional, the trigger is The Best, .45ACP is one of the two Greats as mentioned above, and if you want to you can also get them in .40 or 9mm. The slightly shorter barrel makes it easy to conceal, the full size frame makes it easy to control and reliable, and again, there's that John Moses Browning trigger. Faster reloads than the revolver, and thinner magazines (easier to conceal) than anything double stacked. Rock Island and Taurus make good 1911s of this size that don't cost much.

The G2C gives up some barrel length and sight radius. The trigger isn't exactly a classic. But other than those comments, the ergonomics are great, the capacity is great, the accuracy and reliability are outstanding, and if you're a compulsive tinkerer Lakeline can sell you well made goodies at great prices. If you want a better round than 9mm they make a .40 version too.

Any one of these would be a darn good choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome thanks guys. Yea I know it is crazy right now and finding anything may be a bit of a pain. I did see the 1911s and I want one lol. Figured that would be a great home fun though as it just did t seem to be very concealable but I am new to this so prolly wrong lol. Would love to get me a get me a couple handguns eventually. This 1st one I am getting g I want to be my CCW. I work at a hospital and the hospital police is thinking about deputizing my department and allowing us to carry at work.

·
21,971 Posts
You are not wrong. I frequently carry a 5" 1911 with a double stack magazine. It can be done, but this is the one gun I will admit gets heavy after a couple of hours. A conventional single stack or a 4.25" are much better in that regard. The 1911 is the greatest fighting handgun ever devised, and the 4" or 4.25" model is more concealable than the 5".

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Hey everyone. With all the chaos that is our world these days I was finally able to talk my wife into me getting a handgun. I have owned other long guns over the years hunting but my wife and her family seem to be scared of handguns. I personally think it’s just a fear of the unknown. I will be showing her that I am taking all the safety steps I can. My 1st priority like all of y’all I am sure is the safety of your Family. I am on a budget so won’t be able go crazy out there. This 1st handgun I am looking to get one that I can Carry then hopefully later get a Home Defense gun. I am 5’10 and 200lbs so I am a bit stocky. What budget CCWs do y’all recommend? Thank y’all for any advice

Having used various revolvers and semi autos for CC, I FINALLY came to my senses and got a Ruger LC9S and a pocket holster, along with a small case for spare magazines. Ruger no longer makes this exact firearm, but it makes the EC9S, which is very similar, minus adjustable and replaceable sights. Yes, it is a little compact single stack 9mm, but it is more than adequate, IMHO. And Ruger quality and customer service are great.

As for home defense, I have various revolvers in .357 magnum and .38 Special that would work, but I have an older Smith and Wesson model 10-6 .38 Special that does the job great. I prefer a revolver for this role, especially if there are non shooters that might need to use it in a defensive situation. All revolvers are pretty much a "point and pull the trigger" operating system.

JMHO, YMMV.

Reactions: tobywan45

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
The OP stated he was on a budget. There are two main costs of a handgun, the cost of the gun and the cost of feeding it ammo.

When you go to the range to practice, it is common to go thru 2-3 boxes of ammo and maybe more. Over the course of the next 5 years, you would easily go thru over 25 boxes of ammo.

The most inexpensive ammo and the most common out there is the 9mm luger. 6 months ago, before this run on guns and ammo started, I could buy 9mm bargain range ammo for around $10.50 a box of 50, 38 special range ammo was $17 and most popular calibers were even more expensive.
As an example, if you choose a 9mm handgun, In the next 5 years you should expect to spend over $280 on practice ammo. That's around the price of a Taurus G2c.
If you choose a gun chambered for 38 special, the cost jumps an extra $175.

In these troubled times, there are shortages of handgun ammo and prices are rising as a result. I don't know what the current price of ammo. I do know that the 9mm is a great round, it popular and proven to be effective self defense ammo..... and will save you money.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts

well you kind picked a really lousy time to buy a firearm to be honest--selection is going to be very poor, cost will be a bit higher than normal likely as well.
I would within your criteria (not knowing exactly what on a budget is in terms of money) would suggest the new S & W 9 MM EZ, if you can't find that then the S & W 380 EZ.
they are not super expensive they are designed for the lady shooter or older individual with easy slide manipulation, very , very good trigger, external safties, accurate, pretty good sight setup, good ergonomics. they are great starter type pistola.
its an excellent idea that you nd the wife receive training as well.

Reactions: dogchild and darbo

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
If you decide on a revolver, be aware that the smallest, lightest ones in .38 spl. can be difficult for new shooters. I would recommend a steel model, and maybe a 4" barrel rather than 2". A 3" barrel would be my ideal but they aren't as readily available. If you buy a .357, it will also shoot the less expensive .38 spl. ammo.
exactly why I do NOT recommend a revolver for a newbie, not only Is the recoil objectionable and excessive, the trigger pull on the revolver takes quite a while to manage and seldom is the new shooter happy with the results, a semi auto is much easier for the newbie to learn and become somewhat proficient, a good quality semi auto is a very reliable tool, just pick out a reliable known brand.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Thank you everyone so far for your replies and info. I have been looking at a G2C and it seems like a very good good for the price. You know how it is it just seems Taurus has so much hate from the other groups I wanted to come here to where the people here actually use them.

ahh just to make a point--You do not own a handgun now, you want a handgun for protection---if you have a need for repair then you might want to understand that very likely you will be without your Taurus weapon for 8-10-12-plus weeks, so you again will be without a weapon!
you might want to browse through the Taurus complaint/ repair page!!!
just saying!!!

·
Super Moderator
35,573 Posts

I have an early PT111 G2 and it's a great combination for concealed carry value. Palmetto State Armory has them on sale today, I received an email earlier.

Reactions: Slicer021

·
Registered
583 Posts
My choice for concealed carry are a Taurus G3 and a Glock 48 with Shield Arms 15 round mags.
Not for everyone but they work for "me".

1 - 20 of 41 Posts