Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Wasn't sure were to post this so I decided here since some might recommend a different brand than Taurus.

I'm looking to get a new .22 in the family. The one we have now which is a AK22 from Armscor, is a jam-o-matic. I need to get a new magazine for it but heck, that things is accurate! So, I'm looking to add another for plinking and just shooting to get some practice in.
Plus, It's the only thing my kid brother who is 11 will shoot. He's afraid of recoil after his first range trip (...My fault...)....

I and he as well, Like the revolver versions such as the Heritage Rough Rider and see there pretty cheap,. Plus There cool! Love the single action. I been thinking about it and got to shoot one last year, Those triggers are quite light really....But there fun.

Other brother who is 20 say's semi-auto. His argument is 10 rounds VS 6 so you don't `have to keep reloading as much. He has a point but IDK....I hate jams. I had enough of them with the AK22. That how ever does not mean, I will not try for a semi-auto.

Bud's has the 1911 PUMA for 199 shipped. The rough riders are 150-190. What else is out there? My max on this is about $250
We want to stay with a hand gun this time around instead of a rifle. I'm not sure what Taurus has to offer in this department but would like to know from anyone who has any of them.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is interesting but I never see that one around here at the LGS....Might have to take another look at the shop and if not, Resort to online.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think a plain old Heritage in 22lr (have an old one myself) would be a great starter gun although I'd say pop for the Ruger if funds allow. Single action revolvers train a new shooter like no other firearm IMHO.

I see a lot of shooters start with a semi and can't hit squat with them. Load up a 22lr revolver with four live and two empties and they figure out what the issue is real quick. Besides there's no mag to drop and bend up plus revolvers shoot any ammo while semi's are picky.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Take a look the Smith and Wesson 22A line they are low in price but high in function and accuracy. I bought mine used for $150, have thousands of rounds through it and it shoots great.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
You could get a larger capacity revolver to offset that 6 shot vs. 10 shot situation.

Taurus makes their 94s and Trackers with 9 shots. Other manufacturers put out 8 shot, 9 shot, and 10 shot revolvers. Most of them are out of the price range of the Heritage unless you are willing to look at (and find) used revolvers like Harrington & Richardson.

H&R Model 929 9-Shot 22 Revolver - 2½" Barrel : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
H&R R93 PREMIER 22 LR 9 SHOT REVOLVER W/BOX : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
H&R Model 976 nine-shot western style revolver : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
H&R model 905 22 lr 9 shot revolver : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
H&R Model 904 .22 22LR Heavy Target REVOLVER + Box : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
45 Posts
Definitely take a look at what you can find used. In that price range you should be able to find a nice plinker that might be of higher quality. I've seen plenty of Ruger Mk's, buckmarks, etc in the sub 250 range, you might want to keep an eye out for one of them.

-Jay

·
Registered
99 Posts
A lot of good suggestions so far. I went with the GSG 1911 versus the Chiappa Puma. I found more bad than good reviews on the Puma. Do your homework before you buy that one just saying.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My wife and I got to shoot one of these a few weeks ago and she fell in love with it (ordering hers soon). It shoots great and the fun factor is definetly there too. Its alil more but well worth it IMO.

SIG MOS22OD MOSQUITO 22LR OD $337.00 SHIPS FREE

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
They have both been around forever and are excelent shooters. Look for a Ruger Mark series pistol or Browning Buckmarks. Many aftermarket parts and excellent reliability. My Ruger 22/45 has over 8000 rounds thru it and it is still as accurate today as it was the first day I bought it. It will also eat up the cheap Federal bulk ammo. They can be found for your budget just have to look. Good luck!

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
My stainless steel 9 shot Taurus model 94 revolver does just fine.

I highly recommend them, reliable and cheap to feed. ;)

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
well I have several 22 plinkers, none are Taurus actually!
the 250 is going to be a squeeze on many that i own.
for sheer fun and cheap to shoot its the Ruger single 6 (they also make a single 10) you can shoot these all day long as they require that you take a break to reload, but for a accurate fun filled day of shooting without breaking the bank thats the way to go.
The Beretta Neos can be had for under or about 250, they are plenty accurate, very ergonomic and catchy in eye appeal to most, they also have a built in rail for scope/red dot mounting.
the Ruger Mk series is also a very accurate weapon, althoguh pricey, and has a long good track record.
the Browning Buckmark is right up there with the Rugers and actually my favorite of my 22.s, very accurate weapon, fits most hands very well.
None of these are jam a matics and run reliably on bulk 22 ammo, most are very accurate weapons, with all having fully adjustable sights.
If I were going to buy just one then it would be the Browning Buckmark.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All good suggestions. Thank you every one. Sadly, Funds don't allow past 250. But my LGS does have one of those Ruger MK but I think he wanted quite a bit for it being new. I will keep looking for some deals out here. If not, I will just resort to buying online and natuarally I will do my homework.

Thank you everyone. I know I could couint on you guys for countless sugesstions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All good suggestions. Thank you every one. Sadly, Funds don't allow past 250. But my LGS does have one of those Ruger MK but I think he wanted quite a bit for it being new. I will keep looking for some deals out here. If not, I will just resort to buying online and natuarally I will do my homework.

Thank you everyone. I know I could couint on you guys for countless sugesstions.
Within $250 I'd suggest one of these:

Smith & Wesson 22A 4",5",5.5" or 7" barrel
Beretta Neos 4.5" & 6" barrel
Puma 1911-22

I've rented the 5 or 5.5" Barrel S&W and the 6" barrel Neos at my range a few times. Loved them both.

If you can strecth your budget by about $40 or so you can get a Walther p22 or a new Ruger Sp22

good luck!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Heritage makes a 9 shot single action if it is anything like me 6 shot you will not go wrong getting either of them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can recommend a S&W 22A as an inexpensive range gun, it has a decent enough trigger, the ergonomics are user-friendly - once you get used to the mag release, and accuracy is good enough. The gun is backed by S&W's great warranty and they have sent me all the parts that my gun needed during its long life of over 100,000 rounds. Around 60k the frame broke and within six weeks S&W had built a new frame with the same serial number and returned the gun to me.

I had only gotten this cheap plinker when my sons were little and pretty hard on guns and I did not want my rimfire pre-war Walther PP, Hämmerli, or S&W K22 subjected to such rough handling but in the end got quite attached to the gun.

It has a replaced sight rib, frame, springs, fourth or fifth firing pin but the mags are original and the gun works fine and its accuracy did not noticeably deteriorate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can recommend a S&W 22A as an inexpensive range gun, it has a decent enough trigger, the ergonomics are user-friendly - once you get used to the mag release, and accuracy is good enough. The gun is backed by S&W's great warranty and they have sent me all the parts that my gun needed during its long life of over 100,000 rounds. Around 60k the frame broke and within six weeks S&W had built a new frame with the same serial number and returned the gun to me.
Agreed. Other than the mag release, it's an excellent range gun, Is that the 4" or the 5" one you have?

·
Registered
751 Posts
All good suggestions (except IMO the Puma)
If you own a 1911, a 92 series or Glock 17 or 19 ever consider a conversion kit?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
They have both been around forever and are excelent shooters. Look for a Ruger Mark series pistol or Browning Buckmarks. Many aftermarket parts and excellent reliability. My Ruger 22/45 has over 8000 rounds thru it and it is still as accurate today as it was the first day I bought it. It will also eat up the cheap Federal bulk ammo. They can be found for your budget just have to look. Good luck!
I also recommend the Ruger 22/45; I have a MK III bull-nose. It hates Federal bulk but likes most other 22LR ammo. The Federal will run fine in my 22LR rifles. The Ruger is more fun to shoot than most other 22 pistols because of its accuracy and reliability.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Ruger has a new compact .22 auto, SR22, I've shorta got the hots for, though I might spring for the .22 conversion for my Kel Tec for 200 bucks. The Ruger is DA/SA, though, and the SA might be a better way to go for plinking and such.

As for revolvers, a Taurus DA is an accurate revolver. The DA is stiff, but the SA is fine. I have no problem with my old out of production Rossi 511, though, a very accurate, very fine little "kit gun" in stainless with a 4" barrel I love that thing, many bulk packs of ammo through that thing, shoot it about every range trip. It's an amazingly accurate little revolver and accuracy wins me over every time. :D

Before I went Heritage, I'd try to spring for a Ruger Single Six. Just a better gun for just a little more money.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts