Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I'm selling my PT145 to a friend of mine, and I'm wanting to get a dual purpose firearm to replace it with. I'm looking for something to carry, and to go have some fun with in some shooting competitions. I told myself I took the responsibility to get my CCW, I need to take the responsibility to be proficient with the fire arm I'm going to carry. What better way than some steel shooting etc...!?!?!?

This being said I'm looking into 1911 style guns. I shot a friends Kimber, and OMG what a nice piece. Ever since then, I've wanted one bad. I never used to be a fan of them until then.

So getting down to it, how many of you carry your PT1911's on a daily basis? I already saw a thread about competition shoots so no need to ask that I suppose. What about comparing the PT1911 to the Para? I've seriously considered going with the Para, but it's about another $150 or so extra. Thats a holster and some ammo for me and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money? I'm sure I could put a fiber optic front sight on the PT no issues, but are there any long term issues any of you had with the piece?

FWIW I dropped the idea of getting a wheel gun for carry in the summer time to go with a Ruger LCP, but that won't be purchased until I get the dual purpose gun, weather it's the PT1911 or other.

Anyway, thanks in advance

Dustin

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 1911. I carry one of 4 on a daily basis. My oldest PT1911 has 2300+ rounds with the only failure to feed being caused by an out of spec round. Best of luck on your quest.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I may be spending a little more now, I have all but bought the Para PX745S. Mmmmm sexy weapon right there.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you really want to know more on which 1911 to get go to m1911. org. They have threads for all the manufacturers of 1911s. This may be a help to you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
full size 1911 is a good gun (great for range), but not everyone's first choice for CCW; it's a lot heavier than your PT145. There is a reason why so many people carry plastic guns.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah they are heavier, but a good belt/holster go a long way too. I still plan on getting a Kel-Tec or LCP for pocket carry too.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
full size 1911 is a good gun (great for range), but not everyone's first choice for CCW; it's a lot heavier than your PT145. There is a reason why so many people carry plastic guns.
Not only that but you must practice using the external safeties. That is the hardest thing I have seen new 1911 owners try to master at first, to get off that first shot. Mainly coming from owning a revolver our Glock type weapons.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I picked it up today, and all I had to take photos with was my camcorder. I'll get better pics and put 'em up when my camera makes it's way back home.

Here it is with my PT-145.

·
Registered
968 Posts
grats on the buy

i carry my pt1911 every day, currently useing a cheapo gander mountain cloth IWB holster, still searching for a decent one though. if you have any questions post em up

·
Registered
31 Posts
scwilli said:
grats on the buy

i carry my pt1911 every day, currently useing a cheapo gander mountain cloth IWB holster, still searching for a decent one though. if you have any questions post em up
I'm probably going to end up buying this one: http://www.blade-tech.com/-Tactical-Light-IWB-pr-895.html along with a SureFire X200A rail-mounted light. Its kind of expensive, but I think its going to be worth it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys.

The 1911 is a Para Ordnance PXT. I have my crossbreed supertuck on order, I can't wait for it to show up! Last night I field stripped the Para, cleaned 'er up, wiped 'er down, greased the slides and put 'er back together. Can't wait to go break it in this weekend!

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I really like my pt1911. It's a very nice shooter. I gotta say, for me, it's a little large to be carrying. I'm a smaller guy and would have a hard time concealing that heavy of a piece of steel without it printing or sagging real bad.

At any rate, it's a great gun to have in the collection. I really wished Taurus had a smaller version of it to fill the niche other weapons could fill.

·
Super Moderator
21,709 Posts
Congrats I'm a 1911 fan and own 2, one being the PT1911 it's great had a little problem with one mag but was easy to fix bought a new Novack almost identical to Taurus and getting ready to send the old one in.Vary nice gun 1000 rounds and sill going boom.

I love your purchase always wanted a Para with the LDA trigger. :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
cant wait for the 2tones to come out. might pick up another boat anchor

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
45 Forever said:
Congrats I'm a 1911 fan and own 2, one being the PT1911 it's great had a little problem with one mag but was easy to fix bought a new Novack almost identical to Taurus and getting ready to send the old one in.Vary nice gun 1000 rounds and sill going boom.

I love your purchase always wanted a Para with the LDA trigger. :)
Thanks for the compliments. I didn't get the LDA trigger as I got a pretty good buy on the PXT. I wouldn't mind picking up an LDA carry piece either. Ah so many things I would like to purchase haha.

·
Super Moderator
21,709 Posts
I seen It was the regular trigger but I love the feel of the LDA. I never owned one but hold them often in gun shops, if I get the money it mine :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is now carried daily in a Supertuck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts