Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had just recently purchased a black oxide model 82. I was looking over the rand had noticed that it looks like taurus adds it lazer marking after the finish had been applied. Does this sound correct that this is something taurus does? And if this is done why then because it would exposes bare steel to the elements when taurus is etching there info on ther side of the firearm.

·
21,940 Posts
I bet Taurus does their marking that way. Colt does now, at least that's how it looks to me.

DSC00557.JPG

I'd be surprised if the laser process doesn't create oxide in steel, and that will absorb oil and protect the metal. Bluing is really just a controlled oxidation process. I don't believe there would be any bare steel left behind because of laser marking.

Reactions: Dad1911

·
Registered
252 Posts
So I had just recently purchased a black oxide model 82. I was looking over the rand had noticed that it looks like taurus adds it lazer marking after the finish had been applied. Does this sound correct that this is something taurus does? And if this is done why then because it would exposes bare steel to the elements when taurus is etching there info on ther side of the firearm.
It's actually a fairly common process among manufacturers. My Ruger and Desert Eagle 1911s were marked using the same process. Congratulations on the 82. I own several Taurus revolvers and I'm very happy with them all. Check out Hogue, if you ever want to change the rubber grip to wood.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
The 82 sure has enjoyed a long run as one of the most popular .38 revolvers. I believe Taurus began importing them in the late 1960s, I've seen older examples with the grooved cylinder flutes that they did away with around 1973. I'd like to have one of the older ones in 3", I like the early versions with unshrouded ejector rods and compact wood grips - they just look more 'traditional'.

Curious - are the newer 82s +P rated?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts