Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to add a few semiauto's to my growing collection. Hope to find one that needs little breakin time. Right now I like the Bursa Thunder Pro HC, can by two for the price of one Sig Sauer P226 or maybe P229.

Leaning to the Bersa because it shows if the gun has a round ready to shoot, decoker, micro polished bore, lockable, and holds 13 40sw's, or 17+1 9mm.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Well it sounds like you've already decided on what you want, not so much that your looking for opinions. Just get the gun and show us some pictures already, it's mean to string us all along.

Reactions: aero1

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The PT 92 / 99 series (.9mm) or the PT 100 / 101 pistols (.40 S&W) are rock solid, dependable, and shoot with pin-point accuracy.

I'm sure there are many other fine choices out there, but these deserve a close look and a bit of consideration.

Oh yes, and just a reminder...there's a lifetime warranty from Taurus that makes these pistols an excellent buy for the money spent.

My PT92 Combat was $519.00 OTD, and it was some of the best money I've ever spent.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
The PT 92 / 99 series (.9mm) or the PT 100 / 101 pistols (.40 S&W) are rock solid, dependable, and shoot with pin-point accuracy.

I'm sure there are many other fine choices out there, but these deserve a close look and a bit of consideration.

Oh yes, and just a reminder...there's a lifetime warranty from Taurus that makes these pistols an excellent buy for the money spent.

My PT92 Combat was $519.00 OTD, and it was some of the best money I've ever spent.

D-mn, Harry! That gun is taller than your fence!
What caliber is it?
And do you need a come-along to pull the trigger?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
What caliber is it?
:D:D Mil's philososy is come big or stay at home! :D:D

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
What caliber is it?
:D It's a .9MM:D
;):cool:Nix, on the come-along to pull the trigger. I just love the trigger on this pistol...even the double action pull is unbelievably smooth!:)

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Finding any pistol that will run with all ammo right out of the box is a pretty tall order. I've had a few. They were Glocks (3), XD9, PT99, and my PT1911AL. None of these have ever had an issue with anything I loaded them with and I've run a bunch of different ammo through each of them both target and self defense. But, that doesn't mean that if you buy one that you will have the same experience. Some pistols are just finicky with some ammo and the brand doesn't make a whole lot of difference. You can buy two pistols of the same brand with consecutive serial numbers and one will run better or at least differently that the other. The solution is to buy a model pistol that historically has not had many issues and then tune it as necessary to shoot what you like.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Not much love for the Bersa, huh?

I own a Bersa Thunder 380. I also own a Taurus TCP 738. Both are 380acp's, of course, so I can't refute the 9mm or 45acp recommendations, but I can give both little pistols some
positive feedback and respect.

The thing I like about the TCP is the "velvety" trigger pull vs. the Keltec or the Ruger. Also the fact that the slide locks open after the last round.

The things I really like about the Bersa is the ability to carry de-cocked and either locked or unlocked, with the DA trigger pull required to fire the first round.
After that, it's SA, and the rounds fly!

Will either of them perform flawlessly out of the box, without thorough cleaning, lubing and break-in?

Nope.

Good luck in your search- Give the Bersa a chance- Don't overlook the TCP- Practice, practice,practice....

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Several to choose from:

Here's what I've had that meet your criteria:

PT99, Ruger P90, Sigma 9VE, PT92.

My new baby is a SigPro2022, only out once, put 3 types of ammo through it, no problem either.

This tack driver and I are going to get along just fine, I can feel it! ;) hehehe!

·
Registered
29,842 Posts
Lots of good advice.

But since you asked for opinions, I go along with the time/street proven 9mm PT92.

Since you (for whatever reason) don't want to "break in" your gun.

Personally I don't want to trust my life or my family's life on a gun I haven't put 300-500 rounds through.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Glock is a pretty easy answer - they may have their faults, but 'doesn't go bang' isn't one of them. I'd also suggest the PT92 and CZ75, both of which I own and are dead nuts reliable and more accurate than I am with everything I've fed them. Admittedly, both are somewhat suboptimal for carry due to their size and weight, but they're runners, for sure.

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
The only guns I have ever owned that has never had any problem out of the Box is a XD-9 And my 24/7 Pro 45 C DS. They both shot everything I could put through them. Now my M85 .38 was used and it has never failed me either. But everything else has had a favorite or several favorite rounds. As far as Glocks go I agree they are good but I had a G-19 that broke a firing pin so they do break like all the rest.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've Had a Springfield 1911a1 loaded 9mm made by imbel of brazil for 6yrs shot a couple of hundred no prob but groups were large slug test show the barrel was over sized got a kart barrel, alot better groups 5000+ rounds fartory and hand loads no probs with factory ammo some fail to feed on light hand loads over all I would trust my life and my family with this pistol.

·
Super Moderator
34,935 Posts
Want to add a few semiauto's to my growing collection. Hope to find one that needs little breakin time. Right now I like the Bursa Thunder Pro HC, can by two for the price of one Sig Sauer P226 or maybe P229.

Leaning to the Bersa because it shows if the gun has a round ready to shoot, decoker, micro polished bore, lockable, and holds 13 40sw's, or 17+1 9mm.

Any suggestions?
DON'T GET A GLOCK!!!!!!!!!!! Glocks won't handle cast lead bullets. Subject line says "any ammo". The polygonal rifling won't work with cast lead and that's one reason I won't own one.

My Ruger KP90DC will feed ANYthing. Unfortunately the P90s are discontinued, I hear, but I've owned 3 Ruger P guns (still have the P90 and P85) and all three were quite reliable right out of the box.

·
Registered
39 Posts
DON'T GET A GLOCK!!!!!!!!!!! Glocks won't handle cast lead bullets. Subject line says "any ammo". The polygonal rifling won't work with cast lead and that's one reason I won't own one.

My Ruger KP90DC will feed ANYthing. Unfortunately the P90s are discontinued, I hear, but I've owned 3 Ruger P guns (still have the P90 and P85) and all three were quite reliable right out of the box.
Had a glock 35 before I got the springer 1911 feed more hard cast 180gr cone hand loads than factory ?? No probs ?? Half of the iPsc shooter at my club use glocks with hardcast lead reloads no probs ??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts