Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently don't own any guns I have been looking to buy and I will get to in about 3 weeks I hope. I have seen and heard about many guns on here from knowledgeable people and I appreciate all the info, but I am on option overload here. Here's the list I have been trying to choose from PT111, PT140, 609TI 9mm, PT809, PT840, Zavasta EZ9(Which I decided I must have), and the Sig P938. Now I don't have deep pockets, hell I don't even have medium pockets right now; But I do want a reliable and quality fires every-time gun I can conceal in a nice holster either around the back or on the side and I don't want my pants to sag like a hood rat either. I have only owned one previous handgun and that was the Khar P40 which I loved but never even got to break in, only got to 300 rounds. I don't have my CHL yet but its on my list of things to do before summer.(preferably sooner) I generally like the 40. S&W caliber, but I am learning that a 9mm can be supposedly more accurate, less recoil, and less expensive on the ammo choices. So hit me up with ideas, I can't really get anymore overloaded then I am now, and I might as well learn as much as I can before I buy the actual gun. Also while I am at it I might as well admit it now, that I am almost a total beginner.. Except I know basic gun do-s and don't-s when handling, everything else is learning...

Thanks,
Rob

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've carried both and they are both ultra-reliable and very accurate at self-defense ranges...reasonably priced and carry a lifetime warranty:

The Taurus PT111 9mm

or...my current main carry pistol:

The Taurus PT740 Slim .40 S&W

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I carry the Taurus PT145 & Ruger SR9c in cold weather and the SR9c in warm weather. Now I am thinking of getting the 709/740 or TCP as a BUG.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Thats a personal choice. It depends on what feels good in your hand and what you like as to caliber and how it feels being shot out the buisiness end! Me peronally I would go with the .40, but I am just biased against a 9mm personally. But some say the .40 has too much snap to it....

My suggestion is to find a range near you and see what you like if they rent them. (If not exact models, similar models in the calibers you are considering)

If thats not possible, go to a gunshop and handle them, see how they feel in your hand. It sounds like you picked a few you like already so the hard part of narowing it down is over.

Whatever you get put 300-500 rounds through it before you carry it a minimum. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Lots of things can be said regarding the benefits of one caliber vs another. The 9mm round is a LOT cheaper than a .45 and is the least expensive round for a caliber with sufficient power to be effective for self defense. You can also argue whether it is better to have a heavier bullet with less bullets in a a magazine or a lighter bullet with more but the point of fact is, shot placement is far more critical than caliber. Lots of folks will give you tips telling you to buy this or that but a LOT of handguns WORK. It comes down to preference. I am an old guy and carry a 1911 as that is a familiar tool. If you don't have a familiar tool, make friends with other members in your area and TRY different calibers and different pistols. When you read about them on the internet, the folks that own them want to appear clever so they will say they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and the folks who don't own them will knock them and talk about a friend of a friend who had such and such pistol and it blew up in his face. Take Internet guru advice with a grain of salt. My wife carries a PT111 and I own a Rossi 461 BUG in .357 and a Taurus 850 CIA in .38 Spec and have owned a 24/7 in 9mm and a PT1911 this year. Honestly, I only own two types of handguns.... keepers and trade bait. The 24/7 and PT1911 were trade bait. They were excellent pistols but I wasn't thrilled with them. Just do your best picking the pistol of your dreams and trade it if you see something you might like better and give that one a try and build up the heard so you always have a few keepers on hand.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
There are basically 2 ways to look at this since you are somewhat of a novice. One you need a pistol to build your skills with and you want a pistol that you can one day carry concealed.

So number one stay away from small autos until you have a better grasp of the basics of shooting an automatic. As an auto pistol goes down in size, the inter-dependence of each leg of the pistol, ammo, shooter tripod becomes much more crucial to reliable, and accurate operation. So much so, that it is not unusual for a small auto, like say a Kel-Tec P3-AT, to function reliably with you, but not work at all for another shooter. Large autos are much more forgiving and the best choice to learn on. So while your list is good, I think I would look at a full size service type auto first (and keep it for home defense), and then go for a smaller auto when you get your carry permit.

Also, when it comes to every day carry, you will find a need to change your carry weapon according to the season. I have a 738 that I carry in the summer months, when I'm in shorts and a t-shirt, and a CW-40 and a PT-111 that I carry as it gets warmer, or I'm just wearing clothes more conducive to concealed carry, like a suit. Also, weight may not seem like much until you start carrying it around on your hip all day, and especially when you are not carrying it on a nice wide gun belt. And I would tell you that any pistol over a pound in weight and you should be carrying it on a good gun belt of at least 1.5" in width.

Reactions: RobThatsMe

·
Super Moderator
35,150 Posts
I pocket carry year around because it's south Texas and on the coast (humid) and I carry 24/7, so my bias is to the little 9s like my Kel Tec and the PT709. They work for me, but you might prefer belt carry. There's a much wider variety that will work for belt carry. Don't get a whole lot better than a PT145, light, compact for belt carry. That's how I would go if I could belt carry much other than after frontal passages in what we laughingly describe as "winter" down here. :D

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I carry the Taurus PT145 & Ruger SR9c in cold weather and the SR9c in warm weather. Now I am thinking of getting the 709/740 or TCP as a BUG.

Well I looked at the Ruger line of 9's & 45s I didn't see anything I liked under $495 and I would like to stay around the $325-$375 mark. I know I am kinda limiting my choices but to start my collection off I gotta stay within a budget of some-kind or I will end up a broke gun enthusiast lol instead of a wise and patient one. I mean the "right now" situation is that I go into these gang-banger neighborhoods to deliver cell phones to inner city shops and various retail locations in all kinds of bigger cities all over Ohio, Kentucky, and Southern Michigan(including Detroit). I don't wanna get caught dead; if you know what I mean. I have seen gun fights several times with cops involved and between rival thugs and I just don't wanna be the only civilian around that doesn't have some lead to put down the pipe if I need it...

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Go to Clelands on Airport Highway in Swanton - just west of Toledo - and rent some guns and do some shooting. Or find a gunshop locally that has a range and do the same. Create a relationship with the gunshop!! We all know what opinions are, right? You really should shoot the gun you plan on carrying. Before you do that, sit down and come up with a list of "absolutely need," "would be really nice to have," and "not really important" features and discuss that with the folks at Clelands. Theresa Cleland, the owner, is probably one of he most knowlegable people in the area of SD guns I know. I carry a PT145 MilPro. I don't vary that often since I don't just want to be familiar, but I want to be intimate with the gun on which I stake my life and the lives of my family. If you buy a gun based solely on the opinion or opinions of members of a forum, you've made a mistake. You can factor those opinions into the final decision, but keep in mind, you have to live with the decision you've made.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are basically 2 ways to look at this since you are somewhat of a novice. One you need a pistol to build your skills with and you want a pistol that you can one day carry concealed.

So number one stay away from small autos until you have a better grasp of the basics of shooting an automatic. As an auto pistol goes down in size, the inter-dependence of each leg of the pistol, ammo, shooter tripod becomes much more crucial to reliable, and accurate operation. So much so, that it is not unusual for a small auto, like say a Kel-Tec P3-AT, to function reliably with you, but not work at all for another shooter. Large autos are much more forgiving and the best choice to learn on. So while your list is good, I think I would look at a full size service type auto first (and keep it for home defense), and then go for a smaller auto when you get your carry permit.

Also, when it comes to every day carry, you will find a need to change your carry weapon according to the season. I have a 738 that I carry in the summer months, when I'm in shorts and a t-shirt, and a CW-40 and a PT-111 that I carry as it gets warmer, or I'm just wearing clothes more conducive to concealed carry, like a suit. Also, weight may not seem like much until you start carrying it around on your hip all day, and especially when you are not carrying it on a nice wide gun belt. And I would tell you that any pistol over a pound in weight and you should be carrying it on a good gun belt of at least 1.5" in width.
So what you are saying a 4" barrel would be better for me to start on then a 3" one? I mean the Khar I had was a 3.6" barrel and a 6" length gun and I didn't have any trouble hitting a target; well after the first 100 rounds I anyway, but I guess I shouldn't even count that as experience? lol Ok so this is more complicated than I thought?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go to Clelands on Airport Highway in Swanton - just west of Toledo - and rent some guns and do some shooting. Or find a gunshop locally that has a range and do the same. Create a relationship with the gunshop!! We all know what opinions are, right? You really should shoot the gun you plan on carrying. Before you do that, sit down and come up with a list of "absolutely need," "would be really nice to have," and "not really important" features and discuss that with the folks at Clelands. Theresa Cleland, the owner, is probably one of he most knowlegable people in the area of SD guns I know. I carry a PT145 MilPro. I don't vary that often since I don't just want to be familiar, but I want to be intimate with the gun on which I stake my life and the lives of my family. If you buy a gun based solely on the opinion or opinions of members of a forum, you've made a mistake. You can factor those opinions into the final decision, but keep in mind, you have to live with the decision you've made.
Ok you are right practical knowledge beats opinion, and personal experience beats both.. So I guess I am gonna have to do some actual touchy feeley research and sling some rounds to actually find a good fit. I do value those opinions and first hand knowledge though and I appreciate everyone of them and I won't stop listening if you guys keep giving them, but the truth is I am just gonna have to do some work and learn what I can handle and what I can't, I might as well start with a clean slate and look at it as a 21 year old getting his first handgun, after all that first experience didn't continue or work out the way I planned. I should have stayed on top of this stuff instead of shoving it to the side for 9 years, but hey I didn't know I would be traveling into the "Hood" to do business after all I am just a Kentucky boy in a Yankee place...lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the Ruger SR9, Tarus PT111, and Ruger LC9 and feel it is the perfect selection for all occasions. Right now I am carrying the PT111 and will switch to the LC9 when the weather gets warm to the point I can't wear a sweatshirt ot jacket.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Clelands is the only place in NW Ohio that I know of that rents. This is excellent advice. Sportsmans Stop out on 590 in Elmore is a decent shop near you and they have a huge inventory plus a small indoor range. Maybe you could hook up with an experienced firearm owner that belongs to one of the local clubs who could help you.

·
Administrator
39,938 Posts
A friend of mine, that was an assistant police chief, introduced me to the Millennium series pistols in 2006. Gen 1 PT111, to be specific. Loved the thing, and bought a second gen. PT111 shortly thereafter. Excellent pistol, but being a bigger guy, wanted a bigger caliber. I bought a 3rd gen. PT145, and in my opinion, has been the perfect concealed carry piece since 2007. That's my recommendation, as I haven't regretted it at all! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
if you already once owned a Kahr P40 you have something to compare other pistols with. it's a personal choice and everybody has their favorite carry gun. i carry a Kahr PM45 most of the time. in the summer i can wear shorts and a t shirt and it conceals very easy, and is very comfortable to carry all day every day. IMO comfort is very important or you will find yourself unarmed. i do go to the other extreme and carry a PT1911 in colder months, but i wear a reinforced instructors belt. i carry the 1911 IWB & OWB depending on garment. holster choice ??you probably will go through several before you find your favorite. like others stated i would rent different pistols at a range.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
No, I meant a 5" barreled full sized service type pistol, like a PT-92, PT-1911, or a 24/7 OSS and work on your grip, stance, trigger control and aiming skills. And then when you have a carry permit, go down to the smallest and lightest pistol in the caliber of your choice that you can control, operate reliably and shoot accurately.

When you start to carry you will need a good holster and, depending on the weight of the pistol, a good gun belt. I would suggest the Crossbreed SuperTuck, or one of its clones. This style I have found to be the most concealable, most comfortable IWB holsters made and when tucked they will disappear like few other holsters made. If you want to save some money, this place a some very good kits at reasonable prices, a good forum and plenty of tutorials to help you through your first builds: Inside Waistband Holster - Custom Pocket - Paddle Shoulder - Tactical Gear - Western Gun - Conceal Carry Holsters - Cross Draw Holster - Kydex Holster Belt - Ankle Duty Holsters

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Greenwolf70:

I've gotta' hand it to you, brother; you're coming across with these great informational posts in the same category as our esteemed moderator, Quiks draw!

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Stop it, you are going to turn me into an Internet expert before long.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts