Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Colt guy, but when I came across this gun, I couldn't pass it up. I paid $350 for it. I have typed this gun into every search bar, every gun site, and can't find anything to match it perfectly. I was just wondering if somebody here can shed some light for me. Is this a reliable gun? More importantly, how much is it worth? Thanks all. It's a Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum with a 6.5" ported barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I am guessing what you have is the 6 inch barrel. 350 sounds like a good deal to me. But, the experts can chime in on that one.

Oh, and welcome to the forum from Northern MN.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Being relatively new to Taurus I don't know; that said, I have two Trackers, a 41 and a 44. Mine are both 4" externally but internally the 44 has a relieved expansion chamber in the first inch of the muzzle, under the ports. The 41 is not relieved. Is your 6.5" 44 Tracker back bored or relieved at the muzzle to create an expansion chamber? I like my 4" but there would be room in my range kit and maybe hunting for a 6.5. Nice and the price is very right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far! I have found a bit more info on the gun. It's a Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum ported 6" gloss blue with hogue grips.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, guesser, this has the relieved expansion chamber as well, and is moderately easy to fire with the recoil.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota. You will find your new wheel gun very reliable and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You done right good 740cordaws! The days of getting a nice big-bore revolver for $200-250 are long gone, especially if its clean and in good shape mechanically.

Trackers are a solid mid-sized frame Taurus offering. And in case you aren't aware yet...you also got a free lifetime, transferable warranty on your purchase.

The only for-sure negative on this gun is you need to develop some thicker skin so you can blow-off the ninja-mall internet posers who think they know alot about guns and say "Taurus Sucks" to fit in!?!

And as others have said "WELCOME to one of the most unbiased firearms websites around!". Maybe its because many of us have had to suffer the inevitable "Taurus Sucks" comments, but we welcome all brands! In fact if you have a few choice Colt items you'd mighty proud of, make sure you show them to us in the "Other Handguns" or "Other Long Guns" sections...we like pictures!!!

UPDATE: Here's a few reviews on Tracker .44Mags:
http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Tracker44.htm (its a 4" stainless but maybe it will wet your whistle)
http://3gn.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=17994 (buyer rejeme sounds alot like you...scroll down for his range report just past halfway down page...sounds like its made it into his collection and now he's getting stouter rounds)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm a Colt guy, but when I came across this gun, I couldn't pass it up. I paid $350 for it. I have typed this gun into every search bar, every gun site, and can't find anything to match it perfectly. I was just wondering if somebody here can shed some light for me. Is this a reliable gun? More importantly, how much is it worth? Thanks all. It's a Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum with a 6.5" ported barrel.
Well, obviously, it's worth $350.:) Seriously, new .357 trackers were going for $475 at gun shows in Houston before the panic started last December. I'd say you made a good buy. Enjoy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha! Thanks for the replies guys. I've popped off a few rounds yesterday and I'm hooked! Thinking about purchasing the Raging Bull soon. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
339 Posts
just thought I would add that, that's not a Hogue grip in your picture, that's the factory Taurus "Ribber" grip that most Trackers came with.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
$350 is a very good deal...
Welcome aboard from
Florida the "GunShine" state.

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I think about 2 years ago Taurus did a limited run (for some distributor) on this 6.5 inch 44 mag Tracker with the blued finish. They were met with mixed reviews on quality but it sounds like you got a good one. If I recall correctly they did go for around what you paid for yours.

It may be interesting to note that Taurus did a similar run on a stainless steel 6.5 inch Tracker about 6 years ago. Anyways, you don't see the 6.5 inch 44 magnum Trackers very often. So... if you collect Trackers your collection will be incomplete until you have these 6.5 inch 44 mag Trackers.

Earlier in this thread someone had mentioned something about the grips. I would have to check, but I believe Hogue does make the Ribber grip for Taurus. Can anyone verify this for me?

Coop

1 - 17 of 17 Posts