Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the forum ( :) )
Just received my NM CCW permit today! Woot!
Currently own an XD40 subcompact, which I'm finding a tad bulky for CC. Thinking of the 740 slim. A couple of the reviews I read talked about "bruising recoil." For you 740 owners, what are your thoughts on the recoil of this gun? And is it reliable enough for a CCW?

As a bit on an aside, I do not find the recoil from my XD40 subcompact to be too bad, and I enjoy shooting 4" 1911s, no problem with their recoil either.

Thank you guys, really appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Recoil? Yep. Bruising? That may be a bit much. I've taken mine to the range and put 150 rounds through it without bruises. Good little gun and it has a place in my rotation.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I enjoy my PT 740 Stainless. As you are aware, the recoil in a 19 ounce pistol in .40 is a little heavy, and keeping the sight on target is difficult after taking a shot. While I would not call it "brutal" it is heavy but manageable.

The .40 is a lot of fun to shoot, and more reliable than the 709 in terms of FTF and FTE. I had ZERO problems shooting the 180gr Federal Champion (WalMart special), or any other ammo. I carry it with Remington Golden Saber, which works fine. I bought a box each of the Hornady and the Federal JHPs with the "short barrel" loads, but have not yet tried them.

As with ANY CCW, practice, practice, practice, and learn the idiosyncracies of the weapon.

I carry mine in a Remora clipless IWB, a High Noon Split Decision tuckable, or a DeSantis Tuck This II (with extra mag pouch). I also have a Kholster tuckable for my PT709 that the PT740 fits perfectly, but I have not carried the PT740 in it.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Thanks, TxDeputy.
How is the trigger pull? I have heard good things about it.
Actually it is surprisingly good. When fired SA (cocked) it is fairly short and crisp. The DA (second strike) is a little longer and heavier, but not bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a good holster, like a Crossbreed or N82 Tactical, think it would disappear into dress slacks with shirt and tie (required work attire)?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love my 740 / and it is what it says, SLIM. Carry mostly in a remora holster, have several hundred rounds out the end without a problem one. I also have the XD40sc, and there is no comparison as to concealability. I think you could almost make it disappear in a bathing suit, lol ..... I really do not think you will be dissapointed, but would be good if you could go to a range and shoot one, before buying.... good luck.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

I am 100% satisfied with my PT740 Slim. I've shot five 50-round boxes of ammo through the little pistol without one hiccup with either FMJ or JHP ammo.

Yes, it does have noticeable, but manageable, recoil due to its small, compact size; but it is not designed to be a range gun~~it's a self-defense carry pistol.

I'm amazed at the accuracy of the pistol at self-defense distances.

I have several other handguns that I've carried from time to time, but the 740 is my all-time favorite because it has signicantly more power than my .380 pocket pistol, and has the edge over my PT111 9mm MilPro because of it's larger caliber, yet slimmer and more lightweight size.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So Far, I have shot 500 rounds through My Taurus 740 slim, "knock on wood" I have not had 1 malfunction !!! I am impressed and do carry it every day as my cc weapon...The only problem I have had , is after 200 rounds, the rear site set screw came loose, and now after 500 it came loose again...Is there anything I can do to permanently fix the rear site set screw? I also clean my guns after every time I shoot..

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm new to my 740 as well, and honestly haven't shot it yet. But, I was carrying a USPc in .40, and it was WAY too bulky and heavy for me. As far as recoil goes, I fully expect it to be harsh, but will likely be surprised pleasantly based on reading I've done. However, if TSHTF, recoil will be the last thing on my mind. Having a gun on me that will put a nice big hole in a BG will make the recoil worth it. Keep in mind, that like any ultra compact, especially ones that shoot bigger bullets, that the manufacturer is pushing physics to the absolute limit. These guns are designed to shoot enough to maintain function and proficiency, and not much more. Carry it a lot, shoot it a little is really the mindset you should have for guns like this. Again, if your day goes bad, a bit heavier recoil won't really matter once your adrenaline kicks in.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
I love my 740. Beats me up on the range, but it has been reliable, accurate (I shoot it much better than 709). It is a great CCW and my favorite.

Reactions: dazdncnfusd

·
Registered
913 Posts
My first Taurus pistol was a 740. I really liked it, and it functioned very well. I trusted it as a carry weapon, but I didn't trust *me* with it. Reason was, I hated shooting it extensively at the range. And I want to carry something with which I am incredibly familiar and comfortable. I was very impressed with it, but it was just the wrong weapon for me. Now my primary is my PT111 G2, with a TCP as a pocket carry when needed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My PT740 is my primary carry weapon. It's a snappy handful to shoot but the addition of a Pearce extension and some traction grips have made it much more manageable. I has eaten all manor of ammo including JHP defensive loads with no issues but, I prefer to shoot 180 gr. FMJ at the range. It seems to have less snappiness to the recoil than the 165 gr..
I shoot it every two weeks during our regular range trips, shooting 4 or 5 mags worth to make sure nothing is broken and to keep my skill with it up to par. After all, l'm carrying it, I should practice with it regularly.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts