Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
always wanted a 357 revolver and after owning the taurus pt1911, decided to go with taurus for a revolver. i dont want to spend more than $450. this wont be carried(live in illinois!) just a range toy and home protection. want to go with a 4 or 5 inch barrel. im leaning mostly towards the taurus model 66. what is the general opinion on this revolver? good buy? should i wait and up my budget to go with a diffrent taurus revolver? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well, you have come to the right place! :D The model 66 is a good choice. Were you looking for one with adjustable sight, hence the 66? The 627 would be a good choice if you aren't planning to carry it. Also, don't leave out the Rossi 971....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leaning towards the 66 over the 65 because of the adjustable sights and 7 round cylinder. dont plan on carrying at the moment but that may change soon now that illinois is the only state that doesnt allow some form of concealed carry(the pressure is on!). the only diffrence i can see between the 627 and the 66 is a ported barrel? is that correct? looking for a stainless steel revolver,not blued. the 66 and 627 have a matte finish correct? not a highly polised mirror finish? i would like a polished look but its not a deal breaker if its not.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi btfresse,
I have the 627. its not stainless, its titanium, 7 rounds, and the ports help hold the barrel level while shooting. has ajustable sights also. I love mine. its a bit large for CC in the summertime, but a coat hides alot of things in the winter, and the 627 is a lot of gun!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
leaning towards the 66 over the 65 because of the adjustable sights and 7 round cylinder. don't plan on carrying at the moment but that may change soon now that Illinois is the only state that doesn't allow some form of concealed carry(the pressure is on!). the only difference i can see between the 627 and the 66 is a ported barrel? is that correct? looking for a stainless steel revolver,not blued. the 66 and 627 have a matte finish correct? not a highly polished mirror finish? i would like a polished look but its not a deal breaker if its not.
What Pirate said! I believe that the 627 would be more versatile than the 66, IMO. I threw the Rossi in there simply because of price, and I am a sucker for a blued gun! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what are my options as far as a taurus 357 4inch revolver with a polished/mirrored stainless steel finish?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love my 627. its not impossible to carry.

Reactions: trooperc7

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have no idea. I thought it was matt stainless?

·
32,534 Posts
The 66 is one of the bread and butter guns for Taurus for many decades and a very successful one at that.

I own two. A older 25 years plus blue 6 shot version. This one is 2.5 inch accurate at 25 yards. It has had countless rounds sent down range over the decades. Mostly of those rounds were .38 Special, but a goodly number were still .357 magnum. I do not shoot full power 125gr. .357 ammo through mine. Other full power .357 magnum,yes. 125gr. magnum light rounds,yes.

The gun likes the 158gr. rounds the best with the 140gr. rounds next.

With 158gr. .357 magnum and .38 Specials these hit to the same point of aim at 25 yards. Just one of those odd things, but others have seen the same thing. Some with other brands of guns.

The newer 66 is a stainless steel 4 inch 7 shot version. HomePage makes 7 shot speedloaders that fit the 66.

The newer 66 is just as accurate as it's older sibling.

No hiccups or problems. Nothing but sterling service for both 66s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quicks draw- What about full power 125 gr. through your 4 inch? Did you mean no full power 125 loads for both the 2.5 and 4 inch or just the 2.5?

Which brands and loads do you like best for target? Which ones for SD?-for your 4 inch model-which is what I have.

I tried the Hornady-CD and Winchester pdx1 and they both shot very well for SD.

One question: The adustable sights. The model 66 has them and did you need to adjust them for the different loads-125,140,158,etc.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 66 for a few years and loved it. When I got married, the wife was a little nervous about having several guns in the house (first red flag). I ended up having to sell the 66 :( Then I got a divorce, so it was game on again! The second time around I went with the 65 because the adjustable sights never did too much for me anyway, and I had a 617 with seven round capacity for concealed carry. All the revolvers have been flawless. No problems and I have shot a variety of ammunition through all of them. I like the 65 because it is just a solid, "meat and potatoes" revolver that I have for home defense. I keep her loaded with 158 gr jhp and sleep like a baby knowing that I can place that bullet anywhere on a target at 25 yards. You can get one from Buds delivered for under 400.00. If the adjustable sights are a must then the 66 won't let you down either.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the M66 with 4 inch barrel and 7 shot in stainless. It is accurate and I like the adjustable sight. I did not want a ported barrel because I sometimes use snakeshot and I don't think it is recommended for ported barrels.

Reactions: roy2

·
32,534 Posts
I shoot 125gr. magnum lights a majority of the time and a small portion of 125gr. full power .357s through both guns. I try to shoot as little of the full power magnum rounds in 125gr. guise as I can through both guns.

The 125gr. light loads give up very little to the full powered ones. Anything from 140gr.-158gr. full powered .357 magnum rounds there is no problem with.

For out in the woods/field the Winchester 145gr. Silvertips get the nod or the 140 grainers put out by Hornady, Corbon, and others. This way there is little 4 or 2 legged that these cannot take down with a well placed shot and possibly at a distance. Not more than 50 yards, but I do like to try some longer range gunnery in the field. Those are tried on inanimate objects in a responsible manner.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I vote the tracker. Its a fantastic choice. Looks great, and shoots even better!

·
32,534 Posts
Magnum light is Remington Golden Saber. Winchester PDX1 is just on the border for that. Gold Dot 135gr. Short Barrel for sure. Corbon PowerBall is a screamer in velocity but not hard on the gun. It's a 100 grain round.

Any 110gr. round would also be acceptable. At first these seem light, but as stated before, with the new bullet technology, the bullets stay together instead of fragmenting and penetrate deeply. The older Nosler and Sierra bullets used to fragment to a degree and the secondary missles caused trauma to what they hit. Not true for the newer bullet designs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well gentleman i finally decided and ordered the taurus 608 4inch stainless steel! it wasnt too much more $$ than the 627 tracker and i like the extra round capacity of the 608 over the 627. the 608 is heavier and a larger frame than the 627 but this is going to be a range toy so the size diffrence doesnt really matter to me. should be in my hands in about a week or 2 and will definately post some HQ pics with my wifes nikon 3100 dslr! can wait till the revolver gets here!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts