Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back around Thanksgiving I was told to go pick up a couple of onions, well I did as I was told. However, it would appear that a 15 pound bag of onions is not what the wife had in mind...........silly me and my man brain.

Anyway, I seem to have more onions than a family of two would normally use so I thought maybe I could make up a batch of Onion Soup. And then I thought, well hey I also have a bunch of pork tenderloin in the freezer wonder if I could find a recipe that I could use both ingredients coming up with something special.

Any ideas or suggestions you can share?

·
Registered
14,636 Posts
It all really depends on what base you're using for the onion soup and whether they are sweet onions or not.
I can give you a recipe off the hip and believe that it should turn out delicious. I just need to know what you're starting with, what seasonings and spices you have and how you want to prepare it.
( Yes I do this constantly and never had a complaint.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
White/yellow onions, not sweet but good onion flavor. Prefer not to use wine, but rather beef or chicken stock/broth. Have a very good and wide selection of spices to choose from.

I'm a charcoal grill guy, if it involves grilling of the meat or onions.

So bring it on, if there is something I don't have I can either get it or we can find another that will work.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Rough slice some onions and place in the crock pot, add half your favorite seasonings, now add your pork after removing as much fat as possible. Now add stock or water and put the rest of the seasonings on top and go to work. When you can shred the pork with a couple of forks it's ready. Now you can make sammies, burritos, tacos...etc.

·
Registered
14,636 Posts
sorry for the delay. had to run to the office ( while on vacation at that).
ok, cut the onions in slices about 1/2 thick so you have a bunch of rings. Cut the tenderloin into 3/4"-1" thick chops place them on a grill to get some nice grill marks. Once you have decent grill marks, continue to cook the onions with a light saute in butter or even bacon grease. When they're clear, crank up the heat to the point where they will start to carmalize and remove. put in the chops and add a second layer of cooking and color then remove. add in about 4 cups of your broth of choice to deglaze. add in some rosemary, salt and pepper, savory and a pinch of sage. let that come to a boil and taste it. adjust the seasonings to taste. Put in 1/4 teaspoon of paprika.
In a roasting pan, put down a layer of onions, then the chops then the remaining onions. add in the sauce and cover with additional broth. Add 1/2 a stick of butter (or margarine) and cover with foil. Bake at 300 for 90-100 minutes. Serve over rice or with mashed taters. You can also serve it over egg noodles but you'll need to thicken the sauce a bit with starch, flour or arrowroot. This goes well with just about any veggies.
I recommend an IPA or a Blush wine.

Reactions: jonrjen and ozzy

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
sorry for the delay. had to run to the office ( while on vacation at that).
ok, cut the onions in slices about 1/2 thick so you have a bunch of rings. Cut the tenderloin into 3/4"-1" thick chops place them on a grill to get some nice grill marks. Once you have decent grill marks, continue to cook the onions with a light saute in butter or even bacon grease. When they're clear, crank up the heat to the point where they will start to carmalize and remove. put in the chops and add a second layer of cooking and color then remove. add in about 4 cups of your broth of choice to deglaze. add in some rosemary, salt and pepper, savory and a pinch of sage. let that come to a boil and taste it. adjust the seasonings to taste. Put in 1/4 teaspoon of paprika.
In a roasting pan, put down a layer of onions, then the chops then the remaining onions. add in the sauce and cover with additional broth. Add 1/2 a stick of butter (or margarine) and cover with foil. Bake at 300 for 90-100 minutes. Serve over rice or with mashed taters. You can also serve it over egg noodles but you'll need to thicken the sauce a bit with starch, flour or arrowroot. This goes well with just about any veggies.
I recommend an IPA or a Blush wine.
YUMM!!

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Sometimes, I put Orange Marmalade on my Pork Tenderloins then bake them. YUM!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts