Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts
I have a bunch that I've loaded up and I have all the components I need to make plenty. Otherwise the cost is quite prohibitive.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
That's the thing that is making me strongly consider one. I have the dies, brass and bullets for my Beretta. I'm still PO at Taurus however for screwing me on the PT 145 and lately the Rossi R462. I just read today that a member got a model 66 in exchange for his in four weeks, took me twice as long and had to settle for a 608.

I think I'll wait until I get to the Georgia pawn shops for my next gun.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the thing that is making me strongly consider one. I have the dies, brass and bullets for my Beretta. I'm still PO at Taurus however for screwing me on the PT 145 and lately the Rossi R462. I just read today that a member got a model 66 in exchange for his in four weeks, took me twice as long and had to settle for a 608.

I think I'll wait until I get to the Georgia pawn shops for my next gun.
Your hesitation makes a lot of sense. You should get an award for what you have had to deal with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
327 Federal is a really great cartridge but it's a reloader's round. Those of us with dies etc are in ballistic nerd heaven. The balance of power to recoil, it's delivered "punch" vs felt "kick" all while sipping gently on the powder supply. While I haven't got to casting bullets for it I'm sure you can get a whole lot of pills out of a pound of wheel weights. On the other hand, if you are looking for a gun to feed strictly off the gun shop shelves 327 is not your friend.

I still have hopes that it will gain popularity. Likewise I wish the new "30 Super" well. I just like small bore. Considering how well the medium bore cartridges have dominated the market I might be wishing on a star. The tired old debate that gun magazine writers have flogged for decades of "big and slow vs small and fast" seems to have settled at medium size and medium speed. 38 Special and 9mm Luger/NATO rule the vast market.

No worries. We still have our 327 Fed Mag AND our big bore hand canons.

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts
I am having "non-buyer's" remorse. That was a great deal. He posted more after the first round were gone, but since I saw the additional ones yesterday they are gone. Maybe there will be a blue light special in Georgia!

Reactions: stupimlico

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just read today that a member got a model 66 in exchange for his in four weeks, took me twice as long and had to settle for a 608.
Sure, so I got a 65, not a 66. They said they were going to send me a 608, but I told them I didn't want a 5-shot and asked for a G3. They countered with the 65, which I greatly prefer to the G3, so I accepted.

I guess they are processing them much faster now, since the rush of responses must have slowed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Sure, so I got a 65, not a 66. They said they were going to send me a 608, but I told them I didn't want a 5-shot and asked for a G3. They countered with the 65, which I greatly prefer to the G3, so I accepted.

I guess they are processing them much faster now, since the rush of responses must have slowed.
Not bad. I have a pair of 66s and I like them, but the 65 still calls me. I just may have to act on it some day.

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts

I said I didn't want a five shot and they basically said take it or leave it.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let me know how it goes. I found one at LockedLoaded.com in Pana IL for under $300 and should be shipping soon.

Now I just need to find some .327 Federal Magnum under $3.00/round !!! And I thought GAS was High priced.
Well, fortunately for me, I am my own source of ammo with components that I accuired before things got stupid.

As far as how it went? Great so far. I only had about 30 rounds loaded up that I could run through it the other day, but it did well. I thought I had loaded some pretty stout rounds but I still had some factory federal 100 grain and let me tell you, federal loads those things strong! The primers were all cratered and they we noticibly stouter than my loads.

I like the gun, it's not a target pistol, but I can hit a small torso at defensive distance single or double action with no issue.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have an SP101 4"AS and a GP100 6" in 327. The SP101 is an excellent trail and home defense gun and the reloads I have tried so far are great. I shoot the RCBS 95SWC at 1200 and get excellent accuracy from both guns but the GP100 6" is a log to hold out for these old arthritic joints! The federal 100sp load is not for the faint of heart ! That load is HOT!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts