Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for camping season already and there has been a spotting of a Grizzly Bear in our favorite Huckleberry picken area where some Huckleberrys grow as large as a nickle.

Have a new 338 Mag Mossberg Rifle with 5 shots, but if a bear gets close in and for some reason the Bear Spray doesn't work well enough, will need a Large Caliber Revolver. What would you recommend? Thinking about a 454 cal or 44 mag, or a S&W 50 cal. EEA makes a copy of the CZ Pistol, but with a large 10mm round, which has by interest and 10 shot.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I would definitely go with the .454. I have a friend who lived in Alaska while stationed there, and his field carry revolver was a Ruger Super Redhawk .454. Whether it was fishing or hunting, he told me that he knew that his .454 would take care of things if the situation ever arose. His word and experience are good enough for me. Now seeing as we are on the Taurus forum, I do believe that you ought to get yourself a Raging Bull -- .454 of course! :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
.44 Magnum is the minimum for brown bear.....with hard cast bullets.

Personally, I'd be carrying something in .454 Casull, .460 S&W, or .500 S&W if I knew the possibility of running into a large grizzly was that high.

There is no auto pistol caliber that I would feel comfortable with --- even the venerable 10mm with proper loading.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Yeah, I like the Raging Judge too. You can load it out all .454 Casull or for times when you aren't really that worried about bears you could throw in some.410 shells!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I love the Taurus Raging Bull revolvers, but in this case I would go with the Ruger Redhawk. First their longer cylinders will handle the long heavy widenose flat points. Some loads do not fit my 454 Raging Bull cylinder. Also the Taurus is not rated for some loads. The Ruger Alaskan with good grips handles the recoil of the heavy loads well. Given a choice berries can be bought and bears watched on tv. I like the joke about the best bear gun being a 22 pocket gun. Shoot your friend through the knee and leave while the bears has lunch.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
.454! Or develop a taste for another kind of berry.

You probably should have less fear of griz in the wild than the community you leave behind.

·
Registered
337 Posts
12 Ga with slugs and extended mag would be a bare (pun) minimum! I've seen black bears run up dead fall laden mountain sides and there is no way a pistol at close quarter will do it. My opinion. I used to spend all my free time in Griz country and used to carry .44 mags so I have some experience. Never had to shoot, yet.

Oh, and the Gun Police thing WILL happen if O Berry gets back in.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Magnum research BFR in 45/70

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Getting ready for camping season already and there has been a spotting of a Grizzly Bear in our favorite Huckleberry picken area ...if a bear gets close in and for some reason the Bear Spray doesn't work well enough, will need a Large Caliber Revolver...
For yourself or the Grizzly? :unsure:

Guess I'd have to go with the .454 and pray the good Lord directed the projectile with divine deliverance...
:angel:

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
Bringing a handgun to a bear fight...
Remember that you are closer to prey than predator. It seems to me that bear situations should be treated like other defense situations. Yes, you want to be prepared, but if you think that a confrontation is likely, the best tactic is avoidance.
If that is not possible, bring a superior weapon - which is a large caliber rifle. Train with it and keep it to hand.

That said, I have a .460 S&W which I have tried carrying. It quickly becomes painful. 70+ ounces is too much for even a good gunbelt to handle. If you are going to try carrying something like that, get a custom harness made which will spread the stress and allow you to actually keep it to hand. From what I've seen (and I've looked), expect to pay $500 or more for the holster and harness.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
After just watching the Documentary "Grizzly Man" and how fast the big bears are. I think the 12 gage shot gun would be best, to shoot a face shot several times and blind the Bear first, then a brain shot with a 44 mag or better.

No guarantee Bear Spray will work, or how long it will take to effect the Bear.

BTW the Documentary "Grizzly man" is available as a used dvd at Amazon. The guy was effected by drugs I think, he spent 13 summers in Alaska living with Large Bears in the wild, until one of them wouldn't respect him any longer..

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Getting ready for camping season already and there has been a spotting of a Grizzly Bear in our favorite Huckleberry picken area where some Huckleberrys grow as large as a nickle.

Have a new 338 Mag Mossberg Rifle with 5 shots, but if a bear gets close in and for some reason the Bear Spray doesn't work well enough, will need a Large Caliber Revolver. What would you recommend? Thinking about a 454 cal or 44 mag, or a S&W 50 cal. EEA makes a copy of the CZ Pistol, but with a large 10mm round, which has by interest and 10 shot.
Well I reckon that if I knowed I was gonna be runnin' into any Grizz I'd be takin a M-113 decked out with a Ma duce.... :D

m113.jpg

Reactions: rodfair

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
Not too experienced in this...but I would suggest a Holiday Inn and the local supermarket!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I reckon that if I knowed I was gonna be runnin' into any Grizz I'd be takin a M-113 decked out with a Ma duce.... :D

View attachment 24129
I'll swim with gators all day long, but I won't go in bear country without anything less than an MRAP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know you asked for a revolver, but I would be remiss in not recommending the bear gun of choice for most Alaskan guides. I have a good friend who calls Alaska home, and know a good number of guys that do hunts there every year. The Mariln 45-70 - Marlin Model 1895GBL. Has a big loop for gloved hands and with the right load this will drop any bear with one shot placed just about anywhere. Then load it up with this - Garrett Cartridges Inc. and call it a day.

If I were sticking with revolver, it would be the .454 Casull no question. Find one that will handle any load you can throw at it and find a cartridge put together like the one above for the 45-70.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts