Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a 44 magnum like a need another hole in my head. Nevertheless, I got this itch. Other than Preparation H, does anyone have a homeopathic cure to relieve this troubling condition? I'm thinking if a gaggle of 44 magnum owners don't come forth with testimonies that explain such a path will NOT bring happiness (they just end up sitting in the gun safe) I may do something silly. I'm reaching out here guys.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Other than hunting wildlife what it’s good for ? Unless that is you live in bear country ;) !

Dressing up as DIRTY HARRY and carrying it for Halloween? How about playing DIRTY HARRY and carrying it every day?

(truth be told, I've had the same itch as the OP)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than hunting wildlife what it’s good for ?
That's what I'm trying to determine. My neighbor thinks that when Beto "buys back" all of the "weapons of war that were designed for the battlefield" it will include the 1911. But six-shooters may escape his list. But then again the Remington Model 1858 was used in the Civil War. Damned if I can understand all this silliness.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Go to your local range and rent one, if you can. Also purchase the hottest 44 Magnum ammunition available. Shoot it until your hand throbs, and you can not hold the gun at all. Remember this sensation every time you get the urge to buy a 44 Magnum. Repeat as needed every time you get the urge to buy a 44 Magnum.

Yes, I owned a 44 Magnum at one time. After a few range trips like this, I decided that I really did not need one any more.

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
Personally, I got a .45 Colt Blackhawk. It can scratch my Dirty Harry itch OR my Wyatt Earp itch just depending on what I load it with. :D I kinda wanted that Rossi compact .44 mag when it came out, but I got over it. :D It was quite affordable, though.

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
Other than hunting wildlife what it’s good for ? Unless that is you live in bear country ;) !

"...but, being as this is a .44 MAGNUM, the most powerful handgun ever made (in 1972), and could blow your head clean off, you just gotta ask yourself........"

:)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to your local range and rent one, if you can. Also purchase the hottest 44 Magnum ammunition available. Shoot it until your hand throbs, and you can not hold the gun at all. Remember this sensation every time you get the urge to buy a 44 Magnum. Repeat as needed every time you get the urge to buy a 44 Magnum.

Yes, I owned a 44 Magnum at one time. After a few range trips like this, I decided that I really did not need one any more.
Sage advice.

·
Registered
24,595 Posts
But, but, but, you know you want it. There, I have done my part.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,937 Posts

do I need it or not :alberteinstein:, probably not :image001:
But, but, but, you know you want it. There, I have done my part.
Yep shot them until I couldn't hold them; Ruger RedHawk 7.5" ss, Ruger NM Super BlackHawk 7.5", S&W 29 6.5" made when the firing pin was on the hammer.

Now I keep them around for those "manly men", most of whom don't get through the first cylinder, not your store bought stuff. :rofl:

I agree with Ron and Krusier!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had the same itch a while back. Went to my LGS with cash in hand. The store clerk was very helpful up until the moment he said "you aren't going to enjoy shooting this",....

I left with the cash and not with the gun.

Spent the cash on Gin and Tonic instead. Tastes better than Preparation H.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I owned several, including three different S&W M29s. That was decades ago when I was young and adventurous. The older, wiser & more practical me doesn't really have that itch any more.

Reactions: Desperado

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If You get one make sure You take up reloading if You don't already, factory ammo is pricey at close to a dollar a round.
I have a Taurus model 44 and enjoy shooting it, the hardest part of a range trip with it is putting it away.

Reactions: Kevin Keith

·
Registered
13,931 Posts
You are getting a lot of comments along the line of "It's makes no sense", "You are not going to enjoy shooting this", "Only good for bears and hunting". Some of these comments maybe close to if not dead on correct. However, if you go shoot a 500 magnum a few times, you will begin to notice that the 44 magnum is kind of a sissy round to fire.

So, what's it going to be? Well, do you feel lucky punk?

Personally I recently sold a Rossi 44 magnum and don't miss it at all.....but then I never fired it either. And if I do get the need for personal hand and wrist abuse well there is always that trip to the closet that can be make. The closet is where I keep my Taurus 444 44 magnum titanium beast. It's not the beast that my Taurus 500 was, but then there is a reason that I no longer own my Taurus 500.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
No, no, no, you absolutely do not need it. In fact, you know you really don't want one.

Now, however, it is your civic duty to keep the economy rolling, so you must buy one, but you just don't need it.

[please PM me and I'll send you my transfer agent's address so you can ship it to me because hey, you don't need it and you don't want it.]

·
Registered
164 Posts
They're extremely accurate and fun to shoot. Even without reloading, ammo is available in a great range from mild to wild. While none of it's dirt cheap, it's not so high that you can't afford to pop off 40 or 50 rounds with some regularity. I enjoy my big heavy 44 mag so much that I had to buy a smaller, lighter 44 mag. The top is my S&W 629-6, the bottom is my Mdl 69 5 shooter. If you've never shot a 44 mag, is it as bad as you think? Probably not. Notice that both of mine have Hogue rubber grips for a reason, but they're both quite tolerable in moderation. Do you NEED a 44 magnum? Maybe not, but if you like revolvers there's no reason NOT to have one (or several)

I shot these 5 shots yesterday at 25 yd offhand with the 629. 2 1/8" group. That was with 240 gr ammo at about 1050 fps. Enough to know you're shooting a magnum, but not enough to hurt. I shot 25 of those yesterday and another 25 at about 1300 fps, which is just about enough.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts