Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought it might be easier to work from the "one's you've shot/owned/heard from a reliable source that you would not recommend" perspective. I'm open to polymer through 1911-style, so feel free to 'not recommend' any .22 pistol :)

For example, I've heard very mixed reviews of the Walther P22.

I'm web-searching and youtub'ing, in the meantime, but I like interacting with folks here.

One item to consider is that I've got a ton of CCI Stingers and Velocitors I want to shoot, so if you know of a pistol that doesn't work well with those hotter ammos, feel free to mention.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Sig Mosquito. Sig doesn't make it any more. One of my 4-H kids has one and it's been a disaster. Can't even get a mag through it without a FTF or FTE. I've polished the rails, cleaned and polished the feed ramp, cleaned and lubed the ejector and tried a couple of different mags. I've also changed the recoil spring. I've also had other people tell me that this gun is junk. Sig has had the gun and says they can't find anything wrong with it. I'm not novice to the gun world, and I can't make it run. So, it's not something I would recommend.

Reactions: Valjean

·
Super Moderator
38,020 Posts
I just posted a thread on my selection of a 22 LR pistol search two or three weeks ago. The Ruger MK III and IV got a lot of recommendations and the S & W Victory also got major referrals. Both are reputed to be more accurate than my ultimate choice which was the Ruger SR 22. I bought the Ruger for it's smaller and lighter size and find it to be very accurate. You can find all of these, maybe except the MK IV, for 300.00 or less. I love shooting my SR 22 and almost stopped at the range again today to run it some more. If I wasn't so tired I would have.

The GSG ..what used to be the Sig Mosquito gets some good reviews and some not so good. We have folks here with them who bought them recently and they have no complaints. It's much less expensive than the other I mention and I would have considered it more except that it has a zinc alloy frame and/or slide and so is not legal to purchase through an FFL in ILLinois.

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/other-handguns/403057-ruger-has-landed-sr-22-got-here-today.html

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/firing-line/402643-i-am-jonesing-22-cal-pistol.html

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
If you can find a Jennings J-22 DON'T buy it!

·
9,094 Posts
Jennings, Bryco, Sig Mosquito, Jimenez, ISSC, and ATI all all hit and miss
GSG - has been getting more good reviews in the last year - but previous years there were lots of complaints.
Unless you know what you are looking for I would stay away from used 22 semi auto's.

So S&W, Ruger, Browning, and Beretta all make decent 22 semi's..Walther does as well but I have heard some of their pistols work better with Hi Velocity ammo only. ( which you have with the stingers.) The P22's I have shot all ran great and were as accurate as the Ruger Mark 4's.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Jennings, Bryco, Sig Mosquito, Jimenez, ISSC, and ATI all all hit and miss
GSG - has been getting more good reviews in the last year - but previous years there were lots of complaints.
Unless you know what you are looking for I would stay away from used 22 semi auto's.

So S&W, Ruger, Browning, and Beretta all make decent 22 semi's..Walther does as well but I have heard some of their pistols work better with Hi Velocity ammo only. ( which you have with the stingers.) The P22's I have shot all ran great and were as accurate as the Ruger Mark 4's.

I pretty much agree with silverstring on this post. I would like to add one manufacturer to the buy list and that is Grand power. They make a beautiful 22 which is accurate, very well made, fit and finish are top of the game, and it shoots everything from standard to super high velocity. It comes with a threaded barrel so it is suppressor ready. It is not an inexpensive gun but quality cost money.

Don

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
USFA Zip .22

Quite possibly the worst .22 pistol ever made.

I don't own one, few do as it drove the company to bankruptcy shortly after it was released, but it has a well-earned reputation for being an absolute wreck of a firearm.

Reactions: cassrh and Valjean

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I would NOT buy a Walther P22. I WOULD buy a Beretta Neos or The latest Ruger Mark series pistol. The SR22 is also good from Ruger.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
If you can find a Jennings J-22 DON'T buy it!
The one I used to have was utterly reliable, but then I might've just got lucky. I'm sorry now that I sold it. The reliability of it was so good it convinced me to buy their 9mm version, which turned out to be a jammamatic. If I was considering buying a Jennings of any kind I would definitely want to test fire it first. Heard about too many of them in any caliber that wasn't reliable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts