Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any suggestions? I’m a lefty.

Taurus is a good option, I know. Looking at the S&W 1911SC, Rock Island has some.

Springfield has som ambis, bit they all seem to be 7 rounders.

Looking online you often can’t tell if it has an ambi safety and the description doesn’t say.

I’m still searching, but any suggestions appreciated.

TIA~

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
MY suggestion is to get the 1911 that you want, then find a 8 round mag that you like.
there are plenty of 1911 to choose from and plenty of 1911 mags to choose from.
Most 1911 above the G I models will have an ambi available.
if its a spec 1911 then all spec 1911 mags should fit and function in it.
I must have 30-35 mags of likely 7-8-9 different manufactures and they work in all my spec 1911.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MY suggestion is to get the 1911 that you want, then find a 8 round mag that you like.
there are plenty of 1911 to choose from and plenty of 1911 mags to choose from.
Most 1911 above the G I models will have an ambi available.
if its a spec 1911 then all spec 1911 mags should fit and function in it.
I must have 30-35 mags of likely 7-8-9 different manufactures and they work in all my spec 1911.
Specs don’t have ambi safeties (that I know of, anyway), and if I don’t get a spec, but DO get a non-spec gun that holds 7+1, finding 8+1 (or higher) mags could be a (small?) issue due to fit, correct?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Specs don’t have ambi safeties (that I know of, anyway), and if I don’t get a spec, but DO get a non-spec gun that holds 7+1, finding 8+1 (or higher) mags could be a (small?) issue due to fit, correct?
Practically all 1911's are built to the same standard (based on the old military specs). A single stack 1911 is gonna pretty much have be built to standard if it's gonna be a successful product.

Yes, the original didn't have an ambi safety BUT the ambi safeties on the market are derived from the original single side design and were made to be replacements of the original single side. The sear block under the left thumb pad is the same as what's on the single side. The manufacturers of the ambi safeties have just changed the pin part of the single side so they can hang a thumb pad on the right side of the gun for us Southpaws.

Proprietary parts and 1911's don't go well together. You will run into things like different sight cuts, the occasional fully supported chamber and 1 piece ramp barrel that's not mil spec or you get into the double stack designs. Even in the double stacks, it's pretty much limited to trigger bows, mags and mag releases. Some of the frame parts may be different due to having to work with a double wide mag but that's about it.

That's why the 1911 is the Chevy 350 of the gun world. Parts are available everywhere except the McDonald's drive thru and there's plenty of companies out there that are making the parts. You can sit down with just a Brownell's catalog and build several guns without using more than a part of two from each manufacturer. What I mean is you can sit down with a parts list and some bare frames and build whole guns (plural) using different manufacturers for each part.

·
Registered
14,128 Posts
For a long time I just wasn't into the 1911 platform. Then one day all of that changed. I just didn't have an appreciation of the pistol until I bought two like 1911's and using one as a completed model and the other as a take it down and learn all about it victim.

Since that point I have owned a number of different 1911 pistols from ATI, RI, SW, Sig, Springfield, Para, Colt, Taurus and a few others. Prices varied from $300 to above the $1,600 mark.

I have depleted my 1911 ownership down to 2. Both of which are Taurus PT-1911 pistols. One in the tried and trued black and the other in polished stainless. Truth be told the others that I have owned didn't do anything that the Taurus 1911 can do. The Taurus have been trouble free, accurate as can be, never falter, reliable weapons from day one. The features that come with the PT1911 at the price point beginning around $400 new is an astounding bargain.

I'm not saying by any means that it needs to be your choice, I am saying that it does deserve a strong second look before passing on one.

Of course, had I not owned all of the other brands of the 1911 I would not now know what a great pistol the PT1911 truly is.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Many companies offer different models of the same gun, with and without ambi safeties.
Generally, the higher priced "budget" models will have ambis.

If you're looking for a mid priced gun, Ruger makes an excellent 1911. Kimber, SA, Taurus and Auto Ordinance also make great guns for fair money.
I think Rock Island make a very nice gun, but the finish has not impressed me, especially on the higher end guns.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Buy the one you want and then get aftermarket 8 round mags for it (mec-gar, Act and metalform are all good low cost mags ) it does not matter if the original gun was 7 or 8 as long as its a commander or full size frame

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone, good to know. Even saw a nice 10-round Wilson Combat mag with spacer.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
even the officers models will work with a 8 round standard magazine but the mag will stick out of the bottom of the gun

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Thanks, everyone, good to know. Even saw a nice 10-round Wilson Combat mag with spacer.
I like the Chip McCormick 10 rounder better but I like Wilson 8 rounders.

Reactions: Stroker

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
ahh, I think you are confusing what I said.
if its a true 1911 design then any 1911 mag should work, providing its the correct caliber. see a 9 MM, 38 Super, 10 MM, 45 acp is all the same outside dimensions, so either will fit in any standard 1911. as for the ambi, I stated that pretty much any 1911 above a G I model will likely have an ambi in the choice somewhere.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
I am with the others, buy the one you want first. If all you have left wanting are the safety and mag those are very easy fixes. You can easily buy 1911 magazine (I just bought a couple more this week myself). As to the ambi safety like others have said as well, many have them.

Good luck in the hunt, let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
36,916 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Rock Series Rock Island Armory 1911 will fit the bill as will the Citadel which is made by Rock Island/Armscor.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm familiar with RI's good reputation. I've heard of Citadel but had not yet seen any comment about them, and didn't know they share the same manufacturer, so I'm glad to see what that line offers. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
The ATI is also a very solid gun made in the Philippines. I don't own and have never shot one, but have manhandled them many times.
My buddy has a Citadel, very good shooter. It came with two grips, wood and a nice finger groove rubber grip.

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
I'm familiar with RI's good reputation. I've heard of Citadel but had not yet seen any comment about them, and didn't know they share the same manufacturer, so I'm glad to see what that line offers. Thanks!
Citadel is made by Armscor (Rock Island) and then from what I understand is sent to Howa in Japan fro final fitting and assembly.
then its imported here.
Rock island does all the warranty work on them as well.
Mine has a better fit and the bluing (finish) seems to be a higher quality than either of my 2 Rocks, but then again I am comparing 1 Citadel to 2 Rocks so not really a large comparison.
The main reason that I went with Citadel is that I wanted another 1911 in 38 Super, the Citadel had upgrades and the Rock only offers the 38 Super in the stripped G I Model.

Reactions: Stroker and jwc007
1 - 20 of 39 Posts