Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bad sign....usually everytime I get the itch to "just go look" at a gun that I am interested in, I usually have it within a few weeks. This time it's a .17 HMR. I've been thinking about it for a while but I'm not sure which one to get. LGS has a couple "package" deals, (rifle and scope). I've seen Savage, Marlin and I think a Remington. My question is, is it better to buy the package deal with the scope or to buy just the rifle and pick out my own scope? This is mainly for Groundhogs....Also, what brand do you like best? Thanks.

Reactions: ozzy and VILLAGE

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I would honestly buy just the gun and get your own scope. Some manufacturers don't put the best scopes on their package deals. Plus, you just may plain not like it. I have a Savage 93 that is very boringly accurate and the Accutrigger is excellent.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a Savage 93 in stainless with a bull barrel - it is a fun little gun and accurate as well. I think I would opt for putting on my own scope. As CC Viper pointed out, the scopes on the package guns are generally low quality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Grab the gun.
Forget the scope.
Get your own.

Or Grab the gun, With the scope and use it to see how you like it. If you don't you can always sell it for a few bucks to help fund a new scope.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Howdy
i have bought 2 savages in the last 3 years or so. I opted to get my own scope. Nothing fancy on either. One has a 'world class' tasco..works fine, the other is a 'pro staff nikon' which i like a lot. Both serve well. Savage is known for accuracy . I also have the 30-06, 25-06 in savage. They do me well.
Rifles and pistols are like pizza shops......once you find one you like, then all you have to do is order double cheese!....enjoy folks:)

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have the Marlin 917 VTR. The scope is a cheap 3-9x40 from another rifle but is perfect for this one. The barrel is 22" compared to 21" on some other brands but get what you like. There a fun caliber as long as a mouse doesn't fart. :D. I get dime sized groups at 100 yards so no accuracy problems with this caliber.

Reactions: ajaxakita

·
Registered
428 Posts
I must go look in my safe.............you been here??......wow............nice gun

i have the marlin 917 vtr. The scope is a cheap 3-9x40 from another rifle but is perfect for this one. The barrel is 22" compared to 21" on some other brands but get what you like. There a fun caliber as long as a mouse doesn't fart. :d. I get dime sized groups at 100 yards so no accuracy problems with this caliber.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts