Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to do more shooting of my .45 acp 1911s, but get tired of some of the factory ammo I use. Looking for a reliable low recoil factory ammo.

Thanks

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
What is it about the factory ammo you've been shooting that you don't like?

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is it about the factory ammo you've been shooting that you don't like?
I would like a little less recoil. I shoot Winchester, Federal, Remington 230 grain.

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Reactions: Plano Mark

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
If you want low recoil you could try a heavier recoil spring too. Try Gunsprings dot com.

For cheap ammo reloading is the best way to reduce cost. Reloading 45 ACP you can recoup
your equipment investment pretty quick.

All the Best,
D. White

·
22,981 Posts
Are you sure you dont want 9mm instead of .45acp?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Personally, I find the recoil of .45 much more enjoyable than 9mm. Lower pressure round.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
I used to by "match" .38's to shoot in my .357. The bullet was flush with the cartridge and they had less powder. The .357 is pretty large, so there isn't much kick with a .357 shell, but these match .38's gave almost no push back on that big gun.

It's been 25 years or more since I've seen them. I don't even remember where I bought them. Something like that may be great for the kick of a .45.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
Personally, I find the recoil of .45 much more enjoyable than 9mm. Lower pressure round.
I don't download any caliber that I shoot myself, I want a 45 to FEEL like a 45 or a 10 MM to FEEL like a 10 MM.
but to each their own.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Other than to start reloading I can only suggest you try some of the loads from Georgia Arms Co. I've used a lot of their lead bullet ammo and found it quality ammo with low recoil. You can always call them and tell them what your looking for.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info. I think I will go to Cabella's and check out some ammo.

I have seven different 1911, Colts, Springfields, Sigs, Taurus, and Ruger, so I don't plan on changing springs. I've also reloaded in the past and really am through with it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I reload but have a friend that owns a reloading, reloading supply company. I often got him to reload case lots of 45's in years past. Because shipping will eat your lunch, check around and find a commercial reloader in your area. Look at 185 grain match loads. They are reliable and less recoil in a 45. Buying in bulk lots I get 500 to 1000 rounds to a box, buy at least 1000 rounds per order. Trade in equal amount of brass for rounds purchased. There are commercial reloaders all over the country. They have ffl for reloading and are a full time business, you also have some with in home business. Good thing about dealing with commercial reloaders is being able to get a custom load if you want it. Choose type bullet, powder etc you want. For 45's, 38's, 32's, etc that I shoot a lot would rather pay someone else to load in bulk. Buying a few thousand at a time of any one load gets cost down reasonable. Last order of 38 wadcutters I got new brass, plated wadcutters, and my load requested for few cents per round over my cost to load same round. Guy loads with a machine and quality is excellent. Same with all his loads.

·
Registered
27,648 Posts
With any semiauto, shooting low recoil ammo will benefit from a change in recoil spring. Shooting a lighter bullet will yield less perceived recoil. Most of the major manufacturers have come out with low/managed recoil SD ammo, I don't know of any range ammo specifically marketed as low recoil. There is, however, variability in velocity, look for the lowest you can find. It's not going to be cheap. Cheap comes with economy of scale, and so only the most popular loads will be cheap, and there just isn't a big market for reduced recoil .45 range ammo.
As has been said, the answer is reloading. There are many low recoil, economic loads out there. My favorite uses the 200 gr. Rainier FP and Accurate #5.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would like a little less recoil. I shoot Winchester, Federal, Remington 230 grain.
The Federal Syntech loads were mentioned. They use poly-coated lead bullets. As far as lower recoil, or really tailoring any load to your own needs, the obvious solution is handloading. The .45 ACP is probably one of the easiest cartridges to start handloading with.

Remington used to offer the 185 gr. FMJSWC that was very soft shooting, and generally, that will be the case with lighter weight bullets producing less felt recoil. Myself, I load what many term a "bunnyfart" load with a 200 gr. polycoated SWC at around 800 FPS. Just about anyone could shoot such a load all day long. Maybe look around at different sales sites for loads that use lighter weight lead or poly-coated bullets. I've never handloaded a FMJ bullet in .45 ACP, and until recently, the same was true for 9 x 19mm. JHPs are often sold at the same price, so when I don't load JHPs, I've always loaded cast lead bullets instead, and now they're even better with poly-coating. Much cleaner with less smoke and we even have a couple of new powders that are blended particularly for poly-coated bullets: W244 and Alliant Sport Pistol.

Defense loads are a bit different. At 230 grs. most 230 gr. JHP defense loads have as much or more recoil than 230 gr. FMJ. Practice is also a great help, and you can eventually zone out thoughts of recoil as you squeeze the trigger, and that is true of any cartridge you shoot and how we become better marksman. Even if the bullets are FMJ, if you can find some that are lighter weight, even when their velocity is higher they will still produce less recoil. And there's a very simple way to determine that. The simple calculation for Power Factor as used for gun games is a good indicator of recoil. Bullet weight x Velocity / 1000. A 185 gr. bullet at 950 FPS produces a PF of 176. A 230 gr. Bullet at 850 FPS produces a PF of 196. Simple as that.;)

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I shoot 1911 .45acp for SAAS Wild Bunch shooting and I have seen others use factory low pressure low recoil ammo so I know it is available. Try the SASS web sites and check out the advertisers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts