Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little lady is just about ready to buy her first. We have decided a 380 is the right fit for her. But the ones we are seeing have no manual safety.
So we are looking for opinions on models (new) that do have manual safeties.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
If I remember correctly the S&W Body Guard has a safety. Keep in mind the small .380's are pretty snappy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Bodyguard is small, and the sights are tiny. The Ruger LCP's sights are practically nonexistent.

The Beretta 84FS is larger (still smaller than a Taurus 92/99) but has usable sights.

mbogo

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ruger's new LC380 is a i little bigger than the LCP and it has good sights & thumb safety. Supposed to be lighter recoiling too. S&W Bodyguard and SIG238 both have sights & safeties.
Not yet fired one but they feel good to hold.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Ruger's new LC380 is a i little bigger than the LCP and it has good sights & thumb safety. Supposed to be lighter recoiling too. S&W Bodyguard and SIG238 both have sights & safeties.
H140 is right. While I never liked the LCP ( sold mine within a month of buying it ) the LC9 is SUPER! When I pocket-carry, it's either my LC9 or my Mod 851. The LC380 has all the bells and whistles of the LC9, just smaller caliber. Besides the thumb-safety, the LC9 has one feature that the LCP did not have, and for me is a must: hold open after last round.

With the LCP, you only knew the mag was empty if you counted or if you heard a "click" instead of a "bang". (It could be Ruger is trying to phase out the LCP and use the LC380 as it's replacement. I think folks want the safety features.)

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
For a first gun - Bersa Thunder 380. Everything and then some. Dead accurate (even in my sloppy hands!!) and minimal felt recoil. Can be had for around 300, and is great value for money.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Design

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I took the wife recently to my LGS and the new ruger LC380 has the easiest slide to pull back on and the gun has good sights a manual safety and definitely going to have a lot less felt recoil then the smaller 380's

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Another vote for the Bersa Thunder .380....

Handgun holster Gun accessory Revolver Starting pistol

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I carry my Bersa Thunder 380 everyday. My wife likes it just fine, but prefers her Taurus 709 Slim. Interestingly enough, the Slim has about the same recoil as my Bersa.

Reactions: 24/7 compact

·
Registered
913 Posts
Another Bersa Thunder vote. I Also have the Thunder 22, which is just more fun than human beings should be allowed to have. But for certain, Bersa really makes its bones in 380. If you can find it, they also make the Thunder Plus, which is an unheard-of-in-380 double stack that carries 15+1. Tnoutdoors9 does a nice review of it on youtube.

If she wants a dainty frame, I've been shopping pocket 380's, and the only modern one I've found with a safety is the S&W Bodyguard. Thought about stepping down to the Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP. If your wife doesn't want to rack the slide, the tip-up barrel would obviate the need to do so. It does have a safety.

Waltherfan01... I can't belive the PT709 and the Thunder 380 have similar felt recoil. What cartridges are you firing? (my view may be colored because I used to drop the striker on the PT740. Boom indeed)

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Taurus MilPro 938....holds 12 rounds and has a safety.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I bought a Bersa Thunder Plus (15 round) for my wife and haven't let her have it yet. I like it to much and have used it for my daily carry. I have a good friend with the Sheriff's department and another on the State Patrol who really like mine and are looking for one for off duty.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts