Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum - and have a question. I'm looking at a PT111 Pro, model #1111039P12. Most listings describe it as DAO but also as 3rd gen. According to the 'What Generation of the Millennium Series Do I have' sticky, the 3Gs are SA/DA. Which is it? This will be my first firearm and I intend to use it as my EDC. How exactly does the SA/DA work?

Thanks in advance!​

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Well you can't go wrong with a PT111...a lot of folks have those and are totally happy with them...Oh an let me: Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Welcome Eslavs

First, Eslavs, welcome to this forum. You have foung the best place tp learn all the good and bad about the Taurus lline of firearms. Beyond that we love to talk about darn near everything, knowing we are among friends. The moderators are some of the friendliest and most knowledgeable people I've every met. (OK guys, the bill is in the mail.)

Now, about the pt-111, 3rd gen. It is the last iteration of this lovely compact pistol and for me, the nine mil is a perfect fit. The Millenniums come in 9mm, .40 and .45, according to their online catalog. Yes it's SA/DA. When loaded and jacked, it's in SA and will stay that way until there is a misfire, then it falls to DA and gives another chance to fire that cartridge. There are many owners lauding theirs in all calibers.

I found it to hold, aim and fire nicely. Williams Firesights are an improvement on the original sights. I carry it in an IWB holster from Kholster just in front of the hip-bone. It hugs a rib and doesn't appear to print at all. After two hundred rounds it settled down to be reliable. I have over 1300 rounds through mine now. I carry one in the chamber and safety on (cocked and locked). The factory service has steadily improved to become pretty quick and agreeable. I expect you already know that the lifetime warranty follows the gun.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.:cool:

The 3rd generation PT111 is single action/double action. They are great little guns with a loyal following here, including your's truly.

They are reliable, accurate, compact, light and hold a respectable 12+1 rounds.

The 9mm was originally designed before World War I for full size service pistols.
The PT111 is a subcompact, which requires a firm and consistent grip to give the system enough resistance for it's slide to reliably operate.

The slightest bit of "limp wristing" will result in stoppages.

Improper trigger control and not adhering to the basics of shooting results in a lot of "my gun shoots low and left" reports you see here. The gun's fine it's just pilot error.

Good luck and good shooting.
;)

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
If it is third gen then it is DA/SA.

As to the action description, here is a note I came across on the web which explains it more succinctly than I can:

Traditional Double Action / Single Action Abbreviated DA/SA.

This type of trigger is what is found on the Beretta M9,and other semi-automatic pistols. The first shot can be double action or single action. In double action one pull of the trigger will cock and release the hammer. If the hammer is manually cocked, the pulling of the trigger will release the hammer. As the M9 is a semi-automatic pistol, the slide will re-cock the hammer after the gun is fired. With a DA/SA type of gun, all subsequent shots will be fired single action until shooting stops and the hammer is de-cocked.

Another thing that you will notice is that the DA trigger pull is generally about double the pull weight of the SA. The DA mode allows you to have a hammer down safely on a live round hence the heavier pull. It also helps you in not taking that first shot until you are truly ready to do so -- it takes a more deliberate pull in DA than SA. The SA is a lighter trigger pull for more accurate firing. However, some DA/SA autos have a manual safety instead of decocker only, so a cocked and locked mode for SA is available then. This mode of carry is generally not recommended for those new to firearms or carry.

As an additional note, the DAO you spoke of means double action only, and cannot be cocked for single action fire. Many prefer this mode of trigger operation because it gives you the same trigger pull (weight) in a consistent fashion rather than learning to manage the different trigger feel of a DA/SA mode. Many LE agencies prefer this type of trigger. BTW, a strict DAO is nothing to be afraid of these days. Many manufacturers have made the DAO trigger so smooth that you won't miss not having a SA trigger at all.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum - and have a question. I'm looking at a PT111 Pro, model #1111039P12. Most listings describe it as DAO but also as 3rd gen. According to the 'What Generation of the Millennium Series Do I have' sticky, the 3Gs are SA/DA. Which is it? This will be my first firearm and I intend to use it as my EDC. How exactly does the SA/DA work?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum! The 3rd gen MilPro's for CA might be DAO to make them safer or so they said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure it's not a CA/MD type b/c it's 12+1.

Hopefully I'll be able to make my purchase within the next month!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not a CA/MD type b/c it's 12+1.

Hopefully I'll be able to make my purchase within the next month!
Then it's not a 3rd gen MilPro if it has the DAO trigger

or if it's a 3rd gen MilPro, it does not have the DAO trigger.

Edit: You can find its model on this page. It might be a 3rd gen CA gun but the owner had bought the 12rd mags for it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new PT111! It is the perfect size for EDC. Fantastic little firearm, too! Practice a lot on it (agree with Moondawg on this) and you'll see it really does hit where the sights point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for your input. I had my mitts on a PT111 and a 709 slim, and I liked the PT111 much better. Ended up putting one on Bud's layaway. Still, on their site for whatever reason they list some PT's as DA, and others as SA/DA. I tried to get an answer from them, but they weren't much help. I'm OK with either - tho I always thought that DA/SA meant that the first pull of the trigger was DA, and each subsequent would be in SA. Still, it's all good.

Once I have it in my possession, I'll have to join the pic thread...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome to the forums Eslavs!! The PT111 is an excellent pistol!

·
Registered
53 Posts

Thanks in advance!​
Got mine a month ago. LOVE IT!!!! SA first pull and DA after...100 rounds through it.....so far so good!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts