Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know the gauge but I am guessing 20ga there is 20ga hand typed load data with it. Everything is there including the original paperwork. Looks like there is a shotgun in my future.

P02-16-13_20-06.jpg

P02-16-13_20-06[1].jpg

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I dont know the gauge but I am guessing 20ga there is 20ga hand typed load data with it. Everything is there including the original paperwork. Looks like there is a shotgun in my future.

View attachment 48291

View attachment 48292

Trust me, as long as there are shells for $4.99 still in the stores, you don't want to reload. Go ahead and buy powder, primers and wads. You can load whatever you want that will fit in the wad/cup for shot, but that is an emergency only shot shell reloader.

I have a Lee Loader like that for .38 special, and did load a few boxes with it back in the day when I reloaded shot gun shells with a good press, but that has been over 30 years since I used it. I keep it around for emergency use, but why, I don't have any powder or primers.

Truth is, unless you shoot trap or skeet, a lot of turkey, ducks and geese, there isn't much reason to reload shotgun shells any more. You can't save a dime on dove and quail loads.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I used to hand load (with black powder and hand cast bullets) 45/70 rounds, one at a time for an original 1873 Trapdoor Springfield I had when I was 17. Cool rifle to shoot and very accurate well beyond 100 yards. I have no idea why I let that one get away, oh wait, yes I do......... Girls and the need for a back seat with 4 wheels!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Great find!

I used a Lee Loader in the late 60's and loaded THOUSANDS of .30-06 rounds with it, as well as .38 S&W (not "Special"), .44 Special, .303 British, and 7mm Mauser. For those who have the time, they are great!

I later replaced it with a Herter's U-3 press, which was much faster and more efficient than the Lee Loader. Sadly, the U-3 press was lost in moving when I came to Texas nearly 40 years ago, and Herter's is no more. Cabela's grew out of the Herter's bankruptcy, but they do not have the same Minnesota made products that the original Herter's had. If I could find another U-3 press at a decent price, i would buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Sweet find - do the math. If you shoot enough or need specific loads to succeed and improve reloading any round provides that edge!!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Maybe I owe you an apology, While I would never again buy a Classic Lee Loader with the intent of doing any serious loading, I would still pay $20 for one for the novelty factor if nothing else. If I had three or more of them in calibers I considered as defensive, or to be correct, offensive calibers or gauges that I own, and could share at least a common powder, I would buy the powder and primers.

In general, I prefer all my powder, primers, cases and projectiles to be all in one component, they are easier to carry if you bug out, and you don't need the extra weight or storage for the re-loader.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To fill everyone in as I did not do in my OP this is the same reload kit that my Dad and my Uncle had when I was a teenager and I reloaded many a shotgun shells and it is NOT easy I know lol but shoot for 2 bucks and the memories of days gone by wow. Dad is gone my Uncle is long gone and Granddad is gone too... Just a piece of the past and really I do see a shotgun in my future lol but I wont be using this to reload with been there done that when I was young, had fun but to old and crippled up with arthritis to use it but it will look really nice on my shelf in my reloading area.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I owe you an apology, While I would never again buy a Classic Lee Loader with the intent of doing any serious loading, I would still pay $20 for one for the novelty factor if nothing else. If I had three or more of them in calibers I considered as defensive, or to be correct, offensive calibers or gauges that I own, and could share at least a common powder, I would buy the powder and primers.

In general, I prefer all my powder, primers, cases and projectiles to be all in one component, they are easier to carry if you bug out, and you don't need the extra weight or storage for the re-loader.
Jake you owe no appoligy and if it ever comes down to it and it is needed in a bug out I have it and like I said 2 bucks and she throwed in like 500 Winchester Shotgun primers too lol. The memories back in the 60's loading 12 ga for Dad my Uncle and My granddad was fun. I am putting together a bugout and range bag now.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The great thing about going to carport sales / garage sales / yard sales is that you never know what you are going to find.

Great score!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Good find -- it's whatever you want it for. Lots easier to tote than a press, if you're putting together a bug-out kit, fewer parts to break, etc.

We had one when I was a kid -- loaded lots of .222 at the kitchen table with it. I let the loader get away when Dad passed, but have the .222 (fortunately -- can still find plenty of reasonable ammo for it).

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Be a nice display to have set up. Just for memory lane of times passed.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Nice find, I would have grabbed it as well regardless of plans to use it or not.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Neat find! Used one as a kid with my Dad.

I found one a few years ago at a yard sale and use it for blackpowder shells.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That why I got it but it dosent stop there. Ok here is the deal, its cool here weather wise but it was a sunny day yesterday and I headded into town late yesterday and saw the sign and turned around and went back. The lady was getting ready to put everything up. The shotgun primers was sitting on the table and the press was sitting on top of a box of stuff. I asked her what she wanted for the old press, she said make an offer so I said a dollar and she walked over and said while she was putting the shotgun primers in the box I took the press out of and said well I dont know so during this time were making small talk and I had told her how I grew up using one with my dad,uncle and granddad. She put it all in this big box and said would you give me 5 for the whole box so being the tight wad that my wife says I am lol I said I will give you 2 for it she said ok and said just take it all (meaning the whole box) so I'm thinking ok Geez now I have her junk to get rid of. HOLY COW you guys are not going to believe whats in the bottom of that box under the junk.

Looking over all the stuff I also have a 45 Colt hand loading kit by Lee and yep its all there too. LOL I stopped at the yard sale actually looking for lead and came home with a box full for a little of nothing. You can find old fishing weights and dive weights from time to time here living around the lake. I found a few weeks ago a Lady selling off he Late fathers stuff and he was a gun dealer so I have all kinds of bullets. Some I can use the 44's went to my best friend. I have several rifle bullets I will never use so I think I will melt the lead out of them and sell the copper. In the box is an RCBS T handle bullet puller with 4 collets,30 cal,35 cal,45 cal,and 44 cal.
I would have to count them all but geez I loaded up on Primers, I cant use any of them but my cousin and best friend can. I bought 2000 Federal Large rifle, about the same small rifle, 2700 Large Magnum Pistol Primers, and 500 shotgun primers, Thats not everything but most of it. Hey I may have something to resell for a good profit.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I can tell you that for some obsolete calibers, (.348 Win.) an old lee loader can be invaluable. I had one for my old varmint rifle that I would use to work up flatter, faster loads, 6-12 at a time. When I would find a load work up that I wanted to run with, I'd convert to the big press and crank them out. There are still piles of those Lee Loaders out there and are just waiting to be found.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also have a complete Lee 7.65x53 Mauser reloading kit. Its a little rusty but everything is there. I have a new pair of Mold handles and 2 (one is new) Lyman hand presses. Dont know what caliber yet but will go thru all the dies for the lyman stuff. I found 3 dies in a die box it says Pacfic 30 M1. OK now I feel bad that I got all this for 2 bucks even tho she only wanted 5 for it all. I really dont think she knew what all this was, it was her dads stuff. Now the lady back in Dec I bought some stuff off of that was her dads, she knew what she had, he was a gun dealer and gunsmith but I got some stuff at a good deal and resold most of it. In the stuff I got back in Dec I kept the Lee 3 die sets in 44mag and 45 acp.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I got out my digital calipers and miked the inside of the shotshell loader it is 12 gauge. ith measures .729. Some of this stuff I am going to keep but I think I will sell some of it to.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I put the shotgun reloader and the other two the Mauser and 45 Colt as well as the 44 Mag dies on Ebay. Got a little under 2 days left on the auction. I hope the bids continue to climb lol...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice score!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts