Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so if you read my posts I often complain about how getting older is challenging. One of my most recent wake up calls was running 20 rounds through my only remaining high powered rifle, a type 56 SKS. I found it way too hard to keep the front of the 12lb rifle supported with my left arm. So after ruminating on my fate for a few days, I tried my Henry steel 357,,while it is only an 8lb rifle , I still felt like keeping the front site steady was not something I could do for any length of time. Soooooooo.
P1030060.jpg
I am working with my gun dealer friend to sell both rifles to him. I estimated about $1,100 is what we will eventually wind up at, since I am including 500 rounds of quality 7.62X39 ammo for the SKS. So enter the MFG ( Modern Fun Gun ). My intent was to get a rifle that I could accessorize but keep under 6lbs. It needed to be short like a scout rifle, but with good power factors and distance. Well you see from the pic above, I chose a Palmetto State Armory 10.5" AR pistol.
P1030073.jpg
I added a Hogue pistol grip, a Magpul forearm grip, single point sling, a Troy compensator and a Sightmark reflex optic. The pistol weighs in empty right at 6lbs. It is no longer than a tennis racket.
P1030077.jpg
In fact I call it my tactical tennis racket. So why do I call it a MFG. I have owned two AR's , but sold both when we moved out to the farm. I couldn't see a need out here for such a powerful SD weapon. I already have a 308 Ruger rifle for hunting, so I sold my AR's on armslist, for a small profit.
P1030075.jpg
So what makes this rifle so fun...Wow who knew shooting a short barrel AR would be so easy,accurate and plain old fun! No more issues with holding the rifle level because it is so light, but still an all metal AR. The PSA components are all good quality, the BCG is coated...but not ugly looking, it actually stays lube wet and shiny for days. The trigger was ...well military. it weighed in at 8+lbs and was gritty. The receiver walls are thick aluminum , and the upper is very well made. With no play between the upper and lower.
P1030076.jpg
So I polished the friction surfaces in the trigger group, lopped off 1/4 inch off the hammer spring, did a little lube and wala!!! it is now a 4.5 lb smooth trigger. Took it out this evening and ran 200 rounds of 55grn XM193 through it flawlessly. This target was at 75 yards and was shot from the cheek/shoulder. What can I say...I am back in the high powered rifle game. This puppy is so easy to shoot, accurate, and reliable.

·
Registered
483 Posts
So I haven't been keeping up with all the rules and regs as of late, but is that classified as an SBR, or a pistol? It sounds like that's a arm brace but it almost looks like a stock to me. I saw an ad recently that showed someone shouldering an arm brace which I thought was a no no, but the comments made it sound like that decision might be been overruled?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
ARs are awesome! The level of customization is ridiculous. Looks like you got yourself a good one too.

Now, I do hate to be THAT guy. But there is only one condition in which it's lawful to have a vertical fore grip on a firearm with a barrel less than 16" long. If the total length from the end of the barrel to the end of the buffer tube is more than 26", then it's ok. And so you don't have to take my word for it, you can take the internet's word for it! https://johnpierceesq.com/can-you-add-a-vertical-fore-grip-to-an-ar-pistol/

·
Super Moderator
37,589 Posts
Sweet shooter...My 300 BLK pistol gets out much more than the carbines.

·
8,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ARs are awesome! The level of customization is ridiculous. Looks like you got yourself a good one too.

Now, I do hate to be THAT guy. But there is only one condition in which it's lawful to have a vertical fore grip on a firearm with a barrel less than 16" long. If the total length from the end of the barrel to the end of the buffer tube is more than 26", then it's ok. And so you don't have to take my word for it, you can take the internet's word for it! https://johnpierceesq.com/can-you-add-a-vertical-fore-grip-to-an-ar-pistol/
I'll measure it,,if too short will swap with afg on my Hi point. thanks for heads up.

·
Super Moderator
37,589 Posts
Is one like this acceptable?

MAG414BLK_00.jpg

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
So I haven't been keeping up with all the rules and regs as of late, but is that classified as an SBR, or a pistol? It sounds like that's a arm brace but it almost looks like a stock to me. I saw an ad recently that showed someone shouldering an arm brace which I thought was a no no, but the comments made it sound like that decision might be been overruled?
That is a pistol. Note the "Stabilizer" as opposed to a standard adjustable stock. As others have pointed out, it should most likely not have that vertical grip on the handguard, but it is classified as a pistol and, especially with the brace, can be fairly easily fired single handed.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Very nice! AR pistols are rad. That said, the ready availability of match-grade pencil/lightweight profile barrels and the current AR market's obsession with light weight parts makes a full-sized sub-MOA rifle under 6# totally doable. Check out the 'What Would Stoner Do' series of videos on the InRangeTV YouTube channel for inspiration. I used a lightweight barrel on my last build but didn't really sweat weight on the other stuff and it still came in just a bit over six pounds.

Reactions: silverstring

·
8,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just for anyone keeping track, I returned my AR pistol to normal mode. No VFG.
P1030087.jpg

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts