Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a number of posts recently that mentioned long slide 45's, and I just saw something really interesting along this vein. EAA has a pistol they call the Witness Hunter, and it's available in 45 or 10mm with a 6" barrel. It's got me thinkin'...

Looks like a sweet pistol with some first class features, and it comes with some really nice accessories -

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
DBeardsly, thinking can get expensive!:)

Reactions: CNCSC

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Yeah, my thinking looks like it's gonna cost me about $500 or so. But it's actually pretty fun thinking when your imagination is as vivid as mine. Lol

·
Registered
591 Posts
Money that would be well spent

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Thanks for the video link,
I love to hunt with my handguns and have been wanting to take a good look at EAA Witness in 10mm but haven't seen one show up at any LGS. Wish they would include a 10 round mag but at least they are available. Also like to see someone wring out the accuracy of this gun at 50 yards or more.

If you buy one we expect a full review!!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I were to buy one it wouldn't be the 10mm. 10mm's an interesting round, but I don't want to go caliber crazy again - trying to stick to 45 and 9mm these days. But for $935 it's going to spend some time on the wish list first. Manufacturer's love to tell you what you get for free, but the fact is you pay for everything - and with the nice case and accessories, as well as the trigger work and nice grips the price actually sounds about right. Buds has both the 10mm and 45 acp long slides showing as in stock if anyone's sitting on a grand that's burning a hole in their pocket....:D

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
If your into fantastic plastic at all and want something to piece together heres another idea, check out lonewolfdist.com they have what is basically a totally custom "glock" but it's all with their own stuff,... but basically you can build a G20 long slide, but you can order it piece by piece which is appealing to me. I've pondered doing something like that before and I'd bet you'd have less then 935 in it. Plus it's something you can have them customize however you want, or you can even just buy a G20 and buy a long slide off of them to.

this ones been coated somehow, I'd prefer just black myself.

Reactions: CNCSC

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a couple things I like about the Witness Hunter. First it's a CZ clone, and as such has the wrap around frame. That makes a significant contribution to accuracy, which is probably why the venerable Sig 210 was built similarly. EAA's are known for their very nice triggers, and that reputation is mostly from their double/single actions. This thing is single action only and the trigger is adjustable for over travel in two directions. I haven't handled one, but knowing a little bit about EAA I'm betting it's got one sweet trigger. I like the fully adjustable bomaresque rear sight, and I like the fact that it's hammer fired too. Looks like a first class target pistol to me, and when you consider a Sig 210 will run you a couple grand, $935 strikes me as a fair price. While I like polymer in a carry piece, when it comes to target pistols I much prefer an all steel gun. There's just something about the art of gun making that shows itself so much better in steel than plastic - IYKWIM.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Yeah very true. I'll eventually get a lonewolf glock just because I love how customizeable they are. I'll just get stupid with it and engrave flames into the slide and barrel and everything. I do love the CZ's though that's for sure. I have that cold war CZ75 I think we talked about at one time. Never did shoot it prolly never will, but I want another CZ75 now to shoot cause when I got that gun it felt like it was just molded for your hand... not like BLOCKS :p I've heard all kinds of great things on lonewolfs guns though.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I dunno but 699 for a long slide 1911 seems pretty good to me, centerfire is the only place I've seen them to.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I kind of like the EAA setup. It's got a ramped barrel so there's no link to wear out, and the previously mentioned wrap-around frame with internal slide rails. EAA tends to put some really nice triggers in their pistols, and it's one item that tends to beat CZ. They're really nice with DA/SA and the longslide's got a single action target trigger. I can only imagine what that's like - what I really need to do is get my hands on one so I can find out. I tend not to get in a big hurry when considering a new firearm purchase, and I'll think about this one for a while, too.

I looked at the RIA, and it looks nice but I'm not crazy about 1911's with accessory rails - particularly on a range gun. I don't think I've ever used a rail on a pistol for anything, so for me it's just extra steel and extra weight. Sort of boogers up the classic lines too. The Springfield Armory is beautiful, but it's in the same price range as the EAA. I should probably take a look at that one too. What the heck - looking is half the fun. :D

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I like the gun but I think for the money I'd go with the Glock too. I shot the Glock 29 and really liked it, I wanted to get a 6' Lone Wolf bbl for it and use it for hunting.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The longer sight radius is where long slides really stand out when you are shooting them and that little extra weight out front. The remark I made about cheaper than a custom gun comes from having a few built over the years. Pick up a Brownell book and start window shopping for just parts. Before you even get into the cost of labor the parts alone can get expensive. Now you can buy everything for a long slide. Years ago a lot of it was custom made. Also the guns back then were tuned and some ammo sensitive. They would not run with just anything you wanted to feed them. The factory guns now have a lot going for them for the money.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The longer sight radius is where long slides really stand out when you are shooting them and that little extra weight out front. The remark I made about cheaper than a custom gun comes from having a few built over the years. Pick up a Brownell book and start window shopping for just parts. Before you even get into the cost of labor the parts alone can get expensive. Now you can buy everything for a long slide. Years ago a lot of it was custom made. Also the guns back then were tuned and some ammo sensitive. They would not run with just anything you wanted to feed them. The factory guns now have a lot going for them for the money.
That's what I'm talking about. I always seem to wind up tweaking my pistols, and as TOR said - that stuff gets expensive. Not to mention the labor involved in jobbing the trigger - and you pay for that too. For what you get, the price seems very reasonable. Comparing it to a Glock is comparing apples and oranges. One is a finely tuned target pistol. The other isn't. I think you'd have one heckuva time trying to get a Glock trigger to act like an EAA. I don't like trigger safeties, and I refuse to buy a pistol that has one. That's personal preference, and they just rub me the wrong way. And as a work of art, it's like comparing a Rembrandt to a black velvet Elvis. :D I guess it just depends on what you want it for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts