Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be going to my Brother's place in Georgia soon and he has a place to shoot out to 1000 yards.
Well, my scope is only BDC to 500 yards, so I made a 500 yard custom target.
The X ring is a 5" black circle and I did an approximate 1 MOA grid for 500 yards.
Once I recheck zero at 100 yards I'm going to give it a try.

Here's the target I made. Lots of printer paper and a Sharpie Pen.

SN850180.JPG

I'll be shooting my Mossberg 100 ATR with 150gr 30-06 Pointed Soft Point from Federal.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Sounds like fun. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I'd love to have somewhere to shoot long range, and have a scope that can peek out that far also. Definitely sounds like fun, farthest i've shot is 200 yards with a bolt action .50 cal..

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'll be going to my Brother's place in Georgia soon and he has a place to shoot out to 1000 yards.
Well, my scope is only BDC to 500 yards, so I made a 500 yard custom target.
The X ring is a 5" black circle and I did an approximate 1 MOA grid for 500 yards.
Once I recheck zero at 100 yards I'm going to give it a try.

Here's the target I made. Lots of printer paper and a Sharpie Pen.

View attachment 18771

I'll be shooting my Mossberg 100 ATR with 150gr 30-06 Pointed Soft Point from Federal.

Great fun. Let us know. Lots of pics.

·
Registered
32,137 Posts
I think you will be amazed at how well you will do once you get your range dialed in.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I've been out to 600 yards (Dragunov 7.62 x 54R) and it was reading the wind flags that threw me at first. At 1000 yards the weather can be different at the target never mind the wind! (Well, in the UK anyway).

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been working on the target to make it a bit easier to see at 500.
Difference in black color is where packing tape is at the paper edges.
I have one more black circle to do, but have to make a 25" diameter one someway.

SN850184.JPG

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Good luck to you Sir and have a blast.......

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm jealous!! I've shot out to 675 yards open sights with an M1 Garand years ago in Albuquerque. That was fun! Have fun and let us know how you did!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Been working on the target to make it a bit easier to see at 500.
Difference in black color is where packing tape is at the paper edges.
I have one more black circle to do, but have to make a 25" diameter one someway.

View attachment 18792
Put your sharpee on a 25 inch string ad a nail in the middle.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought of that.
All I have is nylon string and it stretches, I need to find some cotton string.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Try checking the Civilian Marksmanship Program's (CMP) web site to see if they have targets available for that range. National Match High Power matches use a target specifically designed for 600 yard slow fire stage that would work very well for you. The also use the same target for the 800, 900, and 1000 yard Palma matches.

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
For long range targets I've used 3' wide butcher paper with white or brightly colored papers stapled on as bullseyes.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, did not get a chance to try at my Brother's place yesterday.
I went there for the memorial service for his wife.
I decided not to take any guns.
We'll work something out for Spring or Summer and I'll go for a couple/few days.

But in the meantime I think I will get the Lee Classic Loader for 30-06 (same like my 9mm), find the best 168gr target bullet and do some reloads.
I have 20 empty cases ready to go, just need primers, powder and bullets.
Yes, there is a reason for 168. The scope BDC reticle is supposedly calibrated(?) for 2800fps muzzle, which is what most factory ammo is with 165gr.
So I'll get the right powder for the bullet and load for that velocity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts