Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, how many of you shoot steel targets, gongs, jugs, etc at long range with your handguns? What gun/caliber do you use, and to what range have you stretched your gun out? Please, no fish tales ("By golly, I shot a squirrel at 400yds in the dark with my .22 snubbie during a tornado") :) Pics and videos are most definitely encouraged.

·
10,379 Posts
I think the longest I've reached out was around 80 yards with my 1911. Wasn't really target shooting, just kind of screwing around after sighting in my rifle, I did manage to hit the target a couple times, but, it was more like doing the old cannons in the old black and white movies...elevation and windage were definitely factors.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I don't have any pics, but the longest I have ever shot with a pistol is between 50 and 100 yards with a friend's AR pistol. I have heard folks say that they have hit consistently at a 100 yards with the Ruger SR40, but I don't think I could do that with mine -- my eyes are not sharp enough these days....

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Once while out 4x4ing two tracks out in the high desert in Wyoming, we spotted a jackrabbit out around 100 yds from us. My friend asked me how good a shot was I with the hog-leg I was packing that day ( a Ruger Blackhawk SSA .45LC, 7 1/2" bl ) So I stopped my 4X4 got out rested that pistola on the hood of my truck and just drilled that sucker. As I put that pistola way my friend said; GOOD shooting, Luck pure luck but I never told him that. He always thought I was the best shot with a pistol he had ever seen....

1.1 USA.gif

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I have the perfect revolver for such shooting. The Dan Wessons were very popular in silhouette shooting some years back. Even using the Creedmore aiming technique,(link below) I'd be lucky to hit a barn at 100 yards. My old eyes (yea,blame them) just ain't all that good. I have been considering an optical assistant, ie. red dot, or low power scope.
I don't worry about it, much. My prime concern is C.O.M. hits in a defensive situation.
Handgun Shooting positions: Handgun Hunter Magazine - Field Shooting Positions That Work

·
Super Moderator
40,413 Posts
I will shoot my PT-99 out to 50 yards on a regular basis. A paper plate is the normal target at that range. I have the rear sight marked so I don’t have to remember how many clicks to put it on the plate. I am pretty happy with my results, and if I could push it farther I would.

The range I go to only allows 100 yard range for rifles from 1-5 on Monday afternoons. I think the elevated trajectory would hit the 50 yard line roof. On Mondays afternoons the range is only open for the 100 yard shooters. You shoot through the 50 yard line, over the shooting tables and under the roof. I think it is like that by design; they do not want anyone overshooting the berm and sending a round out over some prime fishing flats on the ocean.

·
Registered
75 Posts
At the SO I work at we had to qualify out to 50 yards 10 shots in 15 seconds on a man sized target but you need about 8 of them in the 10 ringto pass. I was using a kimber 1911 and most of the others were using glocks and I think one had an xdm.. We all passed but would never shoot anything alive at that range with a pistol. Maybe a good revolver like my RB454...I love that gun more than my dog

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I was at the 200yd range a couple years back watching a couple folks shoot while waiting to go down range to change out targets. They had some clays laid out on the berm at 200yds , the women was shooting a 10/22 and I was using my binoculars watching , then I heard something a bit louder than a .22 . It was a guy with a snub nose .38 shooting at the clays ..... and to my amazement he was getting hits , as I remember he hit about 3 outa 5 shots that I saw. I talked to him and he was somewhere from the south west , said he was in a shooting club back home and they target shoot with .45's at 2' square steel targets at 400 and 500 yds !! , He was using what he called hot loads in the .38 he had with him. Best handgun shooting I've ever seen personally.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Long range handgun shooting has been around awhile. You even have guns built for long range that will shoot with rifles. Bolt actions are chambered in most rifle chamberings. TC started with their single shot Contender years ago. The handgun silhouette matches were 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters, you also had 50, 100, 150, and 200 meter matches. Many shot revolvers in these matches instead of the single shots. Scoped handguns from a rest extend ranges and the ability to take game to a different level. It is common for people to take deer and other game past 100 yards. A XP100 bolt gun of mine has a Burris 3 x 12 handgun scope on it. Off bags there is no difference between it and a rifle. Same with a Contender that has a 14" barrel and scope. You have people using custom handgun shooting targets at 1000 yards. A guy wrote an article in Precision Shooting years ago about shooting big bore revolvers out to 1000 yards with open factory sights. The article was in 2 or 3 parts and very interesting. On the 100 meter handgun silhouette matches. I watched an older bullseye shooter use a custom 1911 in 45 acp shoot a match. He checked the drop before the match at different ranges. Shot the 40 rounds in typical 1 handed bullseye form and placed. Standing behind him you could see the 230 grain hardball rainbow to the 100 meter line and he connected with a few.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
JayRitz...."("By golly, I shot a squirrel at 400yds in the dark with my .22 snubbie during a tornado")"

I guess I don't have anything to say! ;)

Seriously...about 40 yards in a USPSA match with my 9mm PX4.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Soon after buying my 24/7 I was at the Leeds Rifle Range (Sumter National Forest) shooting my 30-06 at 100 yards and decided before leaving, just for S&G to send 10 rounds downrange with the pistol.
My target was a 24"X24" cardboard with 4 100 yard rifle targets.
3 rounds hit the cardboard.
I have been thinking about trying 50 yards in the backyard with a full size B-27.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input - that's awesome! I feel a whole lot more comfortable with my M66b4 than with my rifle, so I the other day I stretched it out using .38s. It is a bit like the old cannon that was mentioned - elevation and windage. It was a testament to the quality pistol that Taurus makes.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I shoot my .44s out to 100 yards, but the .357's I limit to 75 yards... they are pretty "combat" accurate for a man sized target for both at those ranges. I have hit targets consistently with a Ruger 22 pistol at 100 yards... not sure what damage it would do at that range... but could hit larger targets at that range with one.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've shot my 5" 1911 at 100 yds one time. I'd like to do it some more but there's only two ranges around here with 100 yd lanes and neither one allow pistol shooting. The one is indoors (and underground) and you're kind of shooting through a tunnel so I understand that but the other is outside. The sign says no pistols but we were sighting in some rifles and at the end of the session we just did it on a lark. I believe it's a good idea for anyone who carries to know how their pistol acts at longer ranges. We were shooting at a full size B-27 target and as I recall I held my sights about the neck area. I only shot one magazine (9 rounds) as it was getting dark. They were Winchester Ranger Ts which is one of the rounds I usually carry. I put every round into the 'body' of the target which was a pleasant surprise to say the least as my front blade pretty much obliterated the target at that range. Next time I'm there I'm going to try it again. It's an eye-opener and a good experience.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I used to take tree rats out to 30 yards on ocassion with my Herters 22 LR SA revolver, but usually tried to keep the range under 25 yards. That was about 40 years ago though, now I would have trouble even seeing one at over 50 yards! LOL!!!

I always tried to take them with a head shot whether using the Ithica M49 or the Herters. I am not saying I was always able to do it though!!!!

Shooting rats at the local dump with the deputy sheriff and the PD's Chief of Detectives using revolvers made for great practice though. Today they would hang you out to dry for doing that in most areas.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I have a swinging target with 8" and 4" disks set up at 100 yards in the pasture that has provided hours and hours of entertainment. Have hit the 8" 9/10 several times with my Buckmark and 5/6 with my .44 Spl. But never a full cyl or mag that I can remember.

The 4" is a little harder to hit with open sights on a regular basis, but tin cans and clay pigeons beware!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
If you know your weapon and its sights for a given load, long-range shooting with a pistol is not difficult. I've shot my .44 mag Ruger Super Blackhawk at ranges out to 500 meters with little difficulty and hit what I was aiming at better than 60% of the time. I used Keith 240 gr semi-wadcutters designed by him (Elmer Keith, that is) for the .44 pistols cast with wheel-weight lead and loaded ahead of 20 gr of H-110. I've taken jack rabbits regularly out at ranges from 50 to 200 yards. Longer ranges require you recline in the so-called "Creedmoor" position. Whatever. My brother-in-law said I was full of big talk until we went to range one day with his new Red Hawk. It was obvious he was having serious problems with recoil management and flinching. He was definitely having a bad day. He was pissed and complained about how inaccurate the pistol was, so I asked if I could shoot it. He said "sure, why not. Maybe you can do better." So I load 5 rounds, made sure it was on target, loaded 5 more and asked him to choose a white rock at 150-160 yards. He did and I pounded it to pebbles holding up about 1/4 of the front sight. I handed the gun back to him and told him there was nothing wrong with the gun. He never called me a liar ever again. The point is you don't need fancy guns, fancy equipment or fancy loads. What you do need is one load in a good, solid, reliable pistol that you shoot every few days so that you know where the gun will shoot at any range. No tricks. No yarns. No B.S.

Find a copy Sixguns by Elmer Keith and learn from the master.

Reactions: JayRitz

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Quiks...Check you local libraries and see if they have it. I bought my 2001 Blue Book for $2 when they got the new one. We buy books regularly, usually at the yearly "spring cleaning" for $1 or $2. Magazines for 50 cents or less. And it's a Donation to the library if you want a receipt.
We generally donate them back after we read them. Not my Blue Book, though.
P.S. I almost forgot. They have a Book Store where they sell used books all year round. But prices are generally $5 and up. (except kids books)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts