Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere , some time ago.....Probably several years, truth be told, I read something about storing rifled with the barrel down.

Can't remember exactly why, but I do remember hearing that having a rifle rest on the barrel could mess up the crown and thus, mess up accuracy.

Well, a few days ago, I was at the house of a customer doing him a favor.
This guy has given my company a lot of business, and as he always requests me, he has given me packs of fish, deer sausage, jerky. a safety harness for a tree stand, ect..

So anyways, we were talking about how many deer we have gotten this year 9 or lack of) and he shows me his Remington bolt acion in 7 mm. Can't remember if it was a 700 or 770, but it was real wood furniture, not synthetic.

Anyways, he has a 54 gun safe that is just about slam full of any rifle you can think of: 8mm 7 mm, .222, .22-250, .223, .223/5.56, .234, .243, .270. .300, .308, .30-30, .30-06 etc...
He has lever action, bolt action, pump action, semi. Has several Ar in .223/5.56, .300 and .308

Blah, blah, blah just makes me so damn jealous, etc and so forth! ;)

I notice that every single rifle is barrel down.

I ask him why and he tells me that I know why.

I say that I don't, but he says to me: "Yeah, you do know why - you just don't know that you know why."

Then he asks me how often I clean my rifles, and it hits me- He stores them barrel down in order to keep any residual oil or cleaning soultion from getting onto his stocks.

Now, other than his AR's, and the one .300 , all his rifle have honest to goodness wood furniture. No synthetic, no laminate, no composite.

Yeah, over time, the oil that runs down can eventually hurt the wood, and make it crack and break.

Still, I have concerns about messing up the crown.
He tells me that the only thing the crown does is help reduce pressure and even a little bit of sound control.Says it has nothing to do with the shot, accuracy or trajectory.

The man is a very accomplished hunter based on his living room wall alone. Multiple buffalo ( WOW are they ever big) , elk, moose, deer, bear, fox mounts , every where. Ducks, geese, pheasants, etc...

But still, I worry about the gun resting and the scopes getting knocked off alignment.

So, now that I am done giving the Gunnysburg Address ........ how do you store yours?

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
It doesn't sound like your friend really know what a crown is. A proper crown ensures the bullet leaves the barrel straight and is not pushed to one side by gas escaping from one side of bullet as it leaves the muzzle. I prefer a recessed crown on my long range rifles as the recess protects the crown from damage. I store many of my long guns muzzle down but only to keep the recoil pads from compressing and taking a set.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't sound like your friend really know what a crown is. A proper crown ensures the bullet leaves the barrel straight and is not pushed to one side by gas escaping from one side of bullet as it leaves the muzzle.

Chances are greater that I just didn't understand his explanation. He is a very accomplished hunter, has written at least two books on turkey hunting and is the Dos Equis guy of shooting.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Chances are greater that I just didn't understand his explanation. He is a very accomplished hunter, has written at least two books on turkey hunting and is the Dos Equis guy of shooting.[/QUOT

I didn't mean to sound like a (know it all) and I don't doubt your friend knows his stuff.

I find it amazing that most of the hunting rifles that ride & bounce around in pick ups and ATV's with the muzzle on the floor board still manage to take game at some long ranges. I know a couple farmers that keep their rifles in their trucks or on their tractors all year round. I doubt they get cleaned once a year and the muzzles are worn shiny from all the dirt and sand in the floorboards but they still take deer/coyote and hogs. A proper crown is important for long range target/varmint and with smaller/lighter bullets a worn/damaged or improperly cut crown can ruin accuracy but for a hunting rifle unless it is severely damaged I doubt it matters that much.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Unless you are storing them muzzle down on a hard surface like concrete you are not likely to hurt the crown or the muzzle. A carpet pad or foam pad is all that you need and of course a little bit of care when handling them.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
No concern about bending the barrel and changing point of impact?

·
Registered
29,948 Posts
This is sorta like the toilet paper threads...duh.

Check out all the high dollar ($3,000 +) gun safes and see how they're set up.

Then make up your own minds.

After all it's your money.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I guess I am one of those lucky guys that has been doing it wrong for over 45 years, storing them with the muzzle up. All but two of them are wood furniture. All those M1 grands and M14 etc. that we stored in the armory were muzzle up also. Well, now I know I have been wrong all this time. But, I think I will leave them the way they are, no need to change now.

A good thread and informative.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No concern about bending the barrel and changing point of impact?

Damn! I started laughing at your humor, but then I thought : " What if he is serious?" Then I didn't know what to do.

So if you are serious: Nah, it won't happen.

If your kidding: Good one made me laugh!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is sorta like the toilet paper threads...duh.

Check out all the high dollar ($3,000 +) gun safes and see how they're set up.

Then make up your own minds.

After all it's your money.

I get what you are saying, but safe makers might not necessarily be the defining experts on gun storage other than the number of guns you can store and things you can add that make somebody want to buy your product over others.

I'm not saying they don't care at all, but I wouldn't put them into the category of being experts on the best position when it comes to barrel up or down>

More likely, they are set up barrel up because it has just always been done that way. You know tradition for the sake of tradition instead of technology.

But, I still did a quick search and the only differences I saw in the higher dollar safes were dehumidifiers, revolving racks, built in lights, and mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Barrel ^ in MY safe. Done it that way since I got my first .22 53 years ago and that gun still is my most accurate rimfire, probably because I haven't dinged the barrel crown. :D

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I keep all of my long guns horizontal. Once I run out of wall space then I'll have to consider barrel up or down. I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
I keep all of my long guns horizontal. Once I run out of wall space then I'll have to consider barrel up or down. I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I'm sure burglars will appreciate it. :D Not that a safe is all that safe, just sayin'.

I built a false wall behind my dresser in my old house, not detectable. The second time I was broke in to, they got nothing, but a couple of single shot shotguns I had out as decoys. :D

·
Registered
20,085 Posts

I want to see what the 'toe Tag says!!:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts