Taurus Firearm Forum banner

If you were in the market for a long barreled .22 LR handgun, which would you choose?

• Keystone Sporting Chipmunk - 10" barrel

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Ruger Charger - 10" barrel

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Ruger Single Six - 9.5" barrel

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Other!

Votes: 27 34.2%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Had to go with the Charger. I like the ones I have shot although I think its a bit much for an off hand pistol, more of a bench shooter.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
The Charger...you can get a 25 round banana magazine, a scope and a suppressor and really play hell on the squirrels!

I guess there are so many ways to customize anything built on the 10/22 platform is my main reason.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I went with the single six, mostly cause the charger is more a SBR without a stock they called a pistol then a real handgun but really both would be great. Charger is more for bench shooting though I mean it comes with a bi-pod... if that's what your into go with the charger by far.

·
17,581 Posts
I'd get a TC Contender. More versatile. You could add other barrels at will. Plus since it lacks an "action", it's shorter overall for it's barrel length. Very accurate.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I would agree with the Contender and get the match barrel. You can add other barrels later and they out shoot the chipmunks I have shot. My old Contender 10" match barrel still out shoots most 22 rifles at 50 yards and more.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Long barrels are available for the Browning Buckmark too. 7 1/2" is a factory length, close to your 8" desire but longer aftermarket barrels are available.

The TC Contender would be a good way to go if your goals can be accomplished with a single shot.

·
32,481 Posts
I've got a soft spot for rimfire single action revolvers. I've got a Ruger Single Six already.

That's what I took my first shot on when I was a lad. The Hunter would just be the frosting on the cake. Lots of it! :)

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I answered other, I like the Tracker in .22 LR, but I read 6" instead of 8" when I first read the question, so that rules that out.

Of the ones you mentioned I like the Ruger single six. But I am biased towards Ruger .22 revolvers, my dad has an old Bearcat that I have been shooting for decades! It's still as fun to shoot as it was the first time!

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
well you didn't list the thompson contender and actually in a long barreled 22 LR that would be MY first choice, had one and its more fun than a barrel of monkeys, with a 2X-2.5 X scope and you just don't miss anything inside a mile-LOL
of what you listed the Ruger single 6 would be what i would get and what i voted for, i am just not much into 22 rifles that have had thier barrels cut off , a pistol grip put on them and called a pistol.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. The one's you mentioned seem to be for different purposes.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. The one's you mentioned seem to be for different purposes.
Just for entertainment/collecting purposes. I got a hole burning in my pocket for a gun and I'm looking at something in this class right now, but the budget isn't limitless. I have handguns in a variety of barrel lengths from 2" to 8" already. Something with a longer barrel interests me and has for quite some time. ;D

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I just want to thank y'all for taking the time to vote in the poll. This is the winner that I just picked up this afternoon. :wink:

Here it is over my Pietta 1860 cap and ball gun. 15" overall length for the Ruger versus 14" overall length for the Pietta. The camera angle hides the length a bit.

·
5,686 Posts
I voted other only because I have had my eye on a Heritage for a long time. Although I love Ruger, the Heritage offers a beautiful selection of .22's. For the price you can't beat the Heritage quality either. I found one at our local store for $199.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts