Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all my worrying about a double-load, I took some guns to the range today and had a squib in my PT145 45ACP. The bullet lodge about 1/2 way down the barrel. We took a cleaning rod and tried to tap it out with no luck. Then a punch and hammer, moved it about 1". What's the best way to get this bullet out of the barrel?

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
I would use a large round brass rod, typically available at a hardware store, that mostly fills the bore, but is still loose, and a Hammer, driving the bullet back out the chamber.

As I work as a Range Officer for my Pistol Club, I keep an assortment of different sized Brass rods for different Calibers and a Rock Hammer in my Range Bag, for such occurances. I've seen squibs from both Factory and Reloaded Ammunition. Those same Brass Rods can also be used to drift sights, if desirable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't mean to state the obvious - but - when removing a squib either remove the barrel or be sure it is fully supported.

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
Yes, one should remove the barrel from a Semi-Auto first and support the chamber end on a bench covered with a soft rag if possible, for bullets deeply lodged in the bore. Most squibs however only go about half an inch in and are only lodged in the barrel/chamber throat and do not require much force to remove. I have successfully removed some bullets from a 1911 with the chamber empty and the slide and barrel locked closed with no harm to the pistol whatsoever. The owner of that particular pistol had had trouble with his powder dispenser and needed my services quite often, that particular evening.

For Revolvers, one person should carefully hold it, and the other does the driving back of the bullet back into the cylinder. Note that the muzzle shall be pointed in a safe direction at all times!!! Once the Cylinder is freed, dispose of all problematic chambered rounds. A kinetic bullet puller may be used.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i taped the brass rod with black electrical tape and i use a 9mm case over the end of the rod .also i generally soak with some oil .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok since I have never had one squib in my reloads ::), 3 or 4 but not one. In other words I have a friend who used to have problems with these. He went to Home Depot and picked up an aluminum rod that fit the barrel. He also used some Kroil in the barrel before getting the squib out. Like I said I have a friend who had problems with HIS reloads ;)
Like said before- Remove barrel before hitting the stuck projectile!

·
Registered
132 Posts
You have to tapp it back out from the feeding ramp area. Use a brass punch and take your time. Its best to put the barrel on a gunsmithing mat to absorbe the pressure from the tapping. This way, you wont damage anything. I got some mats that are 1/4" thick and they can take a punch. Think I got them from Brownnell like five years ago.

·
Administrator
40,090 Posts
Haven't had one in years, but a wooden dowel rod and hammer worked for me. Still carry a dowel in my range bag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts