Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to WBAL-TV, a Carroll County sheriff’s deputy confronted a groundhog that he said was creating a hazard by blocking traffic in both directions due to being in the roadway.

The video, which quickly went viral on Facebook, showed the woodchuck running toward the deputy instead of away, and then he shoots. The deputy reported that the groundhog was not acting normally.
“Believing the groundhog to be sick or injured, the deputy shot the groundhog and put the animal down for the public’s safety,” the sheriff’s office said in a release.

However, several residents were concerned about the killing of the groundhog and the way the situation was handled by the deputy.

“Right now it’s spring. Everything’s coming out and mating and so we are seeing a lot of wildlife and human conflict right now,” said Karen Baker from the Carroll County Humane Society.
Baker explained that with rural and urban areas so close together, under normal circumstances an animal will take its easiest route of escape when it’s threatened or frightened.
The Humane Society retrieved the groundhog, but no testing will be done since it did not have any known contact with humans or domestic animals.
https://www.whio.com/news/local/res...dhog-blocking-traffic/NZsPzP9nMSXgVYs3TVrbBN/

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Another first world problem.
I can see it now;
"Maryland paralyzed by feral groundhog. Film at 11".
Only on CNN.
Well unless the groundhog did a film with Stormy Daniels it won't be on CNN.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
There's a guy with a new nickname down at the station.......wait for it.............."Deputy 'Dog"......

Cartoon Animated cartoon Animation Illustration Fictional character

·
9,541 Posts
"sex starved groundhog attacks innocent Sheriff" should have been the byline. :p "Right now it’s spring. Everything’s coming out and mating and so we are seeing a lot of wildlife and human conflict right now," So is there a wave of wildlife and human mating going on?, bunch of perverts!!! What next? squirrels dropping nuts on innocent humans causing conflict? Time to load up our sporting rifles and take back the initiative.....

·
Registered
37,586 Posts
HMM? not sure but wouldn't pepper spray work on a overgrown rat?
I can see the deputy not wanting to get bit, but I don't know about discharging a firearm for such a minor thing?
baton--pepper spray-- big old long stick, get in the car?
guess it depends on the exact circumstance.
he does deserve a honorable mention for actually hitting the thing without using an entire mag full of ammo though!

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
HMM? not sure but wouldn't pepper spray work on a overgrown rat?
I can see the deputy not wanting to get bit, but I don't know about discharging a firearm for such a minor thing?
baton--pepper spray-- big old long stick, get in the car?
guess it depends on the exact circumstance.
he does deserve a honorable mention for actually hitting the thing without using an entire mag full of ammo though!
Those things are aggressive. I had to take one out as a kid with a handy piece of pipe, that was trying to attack our dog. Dog was minding his own business sleeping in shade under a tree when I see a large woodchuck come out of the brush running in a straight line for him. I'm not sure what scared that poor dog more? Me standing over him swinging that pipe or the multiple "ting, ting, tings" he heard as I whaled away trying to stop that bugger from opening him up like a can of canine sardines.

:eek:

I was a hell of a rifle shot as a kid and it would take multiple body hits with the marlin 60 to stop those things! Oh and unless you hit them dead center of the head...22 copper jacketed round nose bullets would often glance off their thick little skulls.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
If you can't side step or out run an animal that has a top speed of crawl, maybe it's time to hit the gym.

Although I did have a skunk that seemed to have fallen on love with me one time years ago. Followed me through the woods for half an hour or so... didn't shoot it.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
If you can't side step or out run an animal that has a top speed of crawl, maybe it's time to hit the gym.

Although I did have a skunk that seemed to have fallen on love with me one time years ago. Followed me through the woods for half an hour or so... didn't shoot it.
Groundhogs are much faster than a "crawl". They are 30+lbs of 2 inch claws and jaws that can crack hickory nuts. They carry any number of diseases, and most people will pay someone good money to shoot them.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
They are also very destructive to gardens and will tunnel under the foundations of buildings causing problems. I live trapped and shall we say, disposed of 4 of them when we lived in town. We had a drainage ditch on the back side of our property and it was home to several of them.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Think we have watched too many Pepe Le Pew cartoons.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Was it a mother groundhog protecting her young, perhaps? Either way, running one of those buggers over will wreak your car's front-end or front-end suspension. No wonder everyone was stopped!

·
Registered
18,052 Posts
It is disgusting what our society is becoming......a bunch of self entitled prima donna snowflakes that believe they should have an opinion on everything, and that you and I need to see things their way. B.S.
Uh..................you just described the internet.........:thumb:

Prairie dog Groundhog day Squirrel Arizona Black tailed Prairie Dog Terrestrial animal

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.