Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tell ya what the cops in this area aren't very nice, Last night they arrested a 57yr-old truck driver(who is one of my friends) for carrying his Walther P99 in a cross draw shoulder rig, now he has had his CHL for 25yrs and never once had any trouble til a city cop pulled him over for a "wide turn" and anyone I know, knows that 52' trailers always make a "wide turn". then they searched him found the weapon and arrested him and held him for 4 hrs before they let him call me. I went to his house and got his new re-certified CHL card and showed it to the Sheriff and they let him go, but that's stupid to hold a guy just because his CHL card was out dated by one day, and the re-certified one was in his mail box.. Plus I didn't know you had to re-certify those things at all, I thought it was a permanent ID thing that never expired? Did they change the Law or something? I mean I don't know cuz I have never had one before... Please don't consider me retarded for not knowing...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I tell ya what the cops in this area aren't very nice, Last night they arrested a 57yr-old truck driver(who is one of my friends) for carrying his Walther P99 in a cross draw shoulder rig, now he has had his CHL for 25yrs and never once had any trouble til a city cop pulled him over for a "wide turn" and anyone I know, knows that 52' trailers always make a "wide turn". then they searched him found the weapon and arrested him and held him for 4 hrs before they let him call me. I went to his house and got his new re-certified CHL card and showed it to the Sheriff and they let him go, but that's stupid to hold a guy just because his CHL card was out dated by one day, and the re-certified one was in his mail box.. Plus I didn't know you had to re-certify those things at all, I thought it was a permanent ID thing that never expired? Did they change the Law or something? I mean I don't know cuz I have never had one before... Please don't consider me retarded for not knowing...
Certain people in government only have contact with firearms when something bad has either happened or is about to happen, thus law enforcement and administrators in between have an attitude that anytime a gun is involved the best approach is to put the owner in bracelets and sort out the documentation later. Most CCW permits have expiration dates, and it would behoove a gun owner to ensure the permit does not expire.

This goes for any possession or purchase permit as well. There are accounts of authorities in New Jersey showing up the day after a gun ownership ID expires and confiscating an entire collection .

This may be an unusual opinion, but I doubt firearms had much to do with this. Most police departments err on the side of jail first and research things later should a doubt arise on the street.Indeed, should one be stopped with valid insurance but due to a recent policy renewal the card in your vehicle is expired the authorities will cite and jail you as if you had no car insurance at all, and it will be up to you to furnish proof to the judge that indeed you were legal at the time of the stop.

·
Registered
896 Posts
In GA, We have a GWCL AKA Georgia Weapons Carry License.
they do expire. Every 5 years here in GA. Other states might have different dates when they expire so I am only speaking for GA at this time. Also, We are allowed to renew IIRC 3 months in advance.

While I think it is ridiculous to have caused him that much problems over a one day expired CHL, I think it is more ridiculous that they stopped him for a wide turn that any semi must make in order not to damage anything. What are these cops on? Man, Someone needs to redo the training with some of our fellow boys in blue.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Trailers are 53' and if he was 1 day off then he was 1 day off! Laws are Laws! That's the problem with this country, two many lax a-holes bitching!

Reactions: jtg452

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
It was unfortunate for your friend about being detained for so long; but I'm guessing he'll never be without a current concealed carry license on his person again.

It's a good reminder to all of us who carry with a permit...we must have the permit on us, and the permit must be current.

I don't know of any state which issues a permanent CCL. Mississippi's are good for 5 years and then they must be renewed.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
In Kentucky, you have to recertify every 5 years. What kind of truck does he drive? I know at least in Kentucky you cannot have a gun in a commercial truck. One of our drivers was detained at a weigh station for 2 hours for having a pistol on him. They let him go with a warning but let him know not to do it again

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Kentucky, you have to recertify every 5 years. What kind of truck does he drive? I know at least in Kentucky you cannot have a gun in a commercial truck. One of our drivers was detained at a weigh station for 2 hours for having a pistol on him. They let him go with a warning but let him know not to do it again
He owns his own transport company, and only has 2 trucks both are Peterbilt and this is the first time in 25yrs he has ever had an issue regarding a firearm.. I don't think any truck driver would wanna be at a truck stop these days without atleast a small handgun, I know I wouldn't wanna be there without something... I hope he doesn't have any insurance issues because of this...

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm not sure it's entirely legal to carry in a commercial vehicle. So if being detained for a few hours is all then he might have got off easy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure it's entirely legal to carry in a commercial vehicle. So if being detained for a few hours is all then he might have got off easy.
Well I am not a truck driver, so I don't know exactly what the laws are on that, but I can see why a law would be created for that, to protect Commercial Companies from being sued for the actions of one individual in an instance of reckless behavior. But to restrict a person who has a CHL, from not being able to defend himself/herself in a dangerous parking lot is stupid IMO...

Reactions: A-TEAM 513

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hmmm... Well, seeing that he has had his CHL for 25yrs, then he has renewed before. Also, from what you stated, he again did so, but his new CHL card was "In The Mail". You would think that the LEO's could have pulled up his info, and validated that he did indeed renew prior to his old card expiration date.

There are a lot of LEO's out there today in certain states that are scoping trucks out for drug, or drug money trafficing.
Perhaps he ran into a LEO that was trying to make a name for himself.

I wonder how many of us would have opted to not carry, knowing that you have filed all the paperwork and fees for renewal, and were waiting for the updated CHL card to arrive. Law is the Law though, I guess, much like your car registration. You are supposed to present your valid car regisration and license went stopped.

Rob

Rob

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Really?? Now I know of no law, in KY, or in the US that says it is illegal to carry a gun in a truck. Truck companies, and certain states may have rules about it, but Not as far as I remember in KY.

·
Registered
27,429 Posts
Trailers are 53' and if he was 1 day off then he was 1 day off! Laws are Laws! That's the problem with this country, two many lax a-holes bitching!
Und der Polizist habe nur Befehlen gehorcht!

Innocent until proven guilty. Now that is a law that the authorities should obey.

Reactions: A-TEAM 513

·
Registered
14,751 Posts
Please cite the relevant KY code that makes it illegal to have a firearm in a commercial truck.

There is not one.

If this man was in violation of the law, he would have been arrested.

The myth that you give up your rights when you drive a commercial vehicle is not correct. Your employer may not allow it, but the most you will get from them is fired.

·
Banned
893 Posts
What kind of truck does he drive? I know at least in Kentucky you cannot have a gun in a commercial truck.
that is nationwide, tractor trailer drivers cannot carry firearms, that why they have a tire iron in the cab. Unless the law changed recently.

·
Banned
893 Posts
in other words concerning my other posts; ….a CDL driver may carry a gun in the truck with him or her, PROVIDING that it does not violate any other STATE law, in which the driver will be passing through BUT I never met a trucking company that allowed the drivers to carry firearms.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Please cite the relevant KY code that makes it illegal to have a firearm in a commercial truck.

There is not one.

If this man was in violation of the law, he would have been arrested.

The myth that you give up your rights when you drive a commercial vehicle is not correct. Your employer may not allow it, but the most you will get from them is fired.
that is nationwide, tractor trailer drivers cannot carry firearms, that why they have a tire iron in the cab. Unless the law changed recently.
in other words concerning my other posts; ….a CDL driver may carry a gun in the truck with him or her, PROVIDING that it does not violate any other STATE law, in which the driver will be passing through BUT I never met a trucking company that allowed the drivers to carry firearms.
The basis for people thinking a driver cannot have a gun, comes from the employer!! Not the law, or CDL rules. Somehow, the anti faction, and others believe this to be fact, when it is fiction.

As was said, they can be fired if against company policy, but with the proper license to carry, THEY CAN??

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Get a contract carrying U.S. Mail and the state and local law enforcement agencies cannot stop or search you even if they are shutting down the highways due to a blizzard or other weather emergency. The same goes for military vehicles in the course of their duties.

I recall one time when I was acting as a "Road Guard" for a military convoy and had stopped traffic at an intersection. I had some inflated ego smart ass try to tell me I couldn't block the intersection. I simply told him to try going through it if he felt he could survive getting creamed by 2 1/2 ton Taticial truck! HE WISELY DECIDED TO WAIT!:)

·
Banned
893 Posts
The basis for people thinking a driver cannot have a gun, comes from the employer!! Not the law, or CDL rules. Somehow, the anti faction, and others believe this to be fact, when it is fiction.

As was said, they can be fired if against company policy, but with the proper license to carry, THEY CAN??
the basis for my thinking is speaking with truck drivers and trucking company owners.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.