Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Just putting together my first batch of 200gr lead SWC for my 1911.

this is the published data that I'm using

200 GR. CAST LSWC IMR Trail Boss .451" 1.225" 3.5 652 9,200 CUP 5.5 816 16,100 CUP

I've only been loading for a few years so I'm still learning.
It's interesting to me how fast pressure increases relative to velocity.
A charge of 3.5gr gets me 652 fps with 9200 cup. 5.5 grains gets me 816 fps but at a cost of 16100 cup.
So I'm thinking I just loading target rounds so what do I really care about high velocity. Lower velocity might be more accurate and more fun to shoot.
I'm thinking I will start at the mid point. I'm also new to the 1911 so I will be looking to see if the load will cycle the action properly.
Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi,

Trailboss is one of the safest propellants on the market. If you want to start with a MID range powder charge I have no doubt that things will go just fine. I just placed 5.5-grains of TrailBoss in a .45Auto case and it, as designed, comes up to the point inside the case where a 200-gr SWC bullet base would just touch. Quite safe!

One thing about TB in powder measures is that it almost dead-on-the-nutz consistent in weight from throw to throw.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
TB is good stuff for certain loads, just don't compress it or you'll have major pressure spikes. Pretty safe stuff in straight wall cases and I load a lot of it in the .38 and .45Colt rounds for plinking.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
16,000 psi is not even real close to the limit for .45acp, trailboss cant be loaded over max without seriously compressing the load because the case does not have enough volume. You may have trouble with it not cycling the gun at the lower powered end of that load. I have had the best luck accuracy wise at about 800fps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts