Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished what I had left in an open box of cast 38 bullets. Cracked open another and cojtinued to reload.

Although I didn't mark it on the box, I think these may be .357 mag bullets. They are casted with a harder alloy if they are.

If the situation were reversed, I guess there would be some leading, but this shouldn't be any problem at all. Am I correct?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
There is no easy answer to that. Optimal conditions would have your cylinder throats milled just right, your bore be correct, your forcing cone cut at the right angle, and your alloy hardness matching up with the amount of pressure being generated to seal against the throats and bore to prevent blow by of hot gas. There are just too many variables to really say yes or no. But a harder bullet at a lower pressure is more likely to leave lead down your bore. I would go with a 50/50 alox/bee's wax lube and then tumble lube them in liquid alox. That should help, but may still be defeated if you have too much going against you.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Optimal conditions would have your cylinder throats milled just right, your bore be correct, your forcing cone cut at the right angle
What is the optimum angle for the forcing cone? I've heard various different opinions, but I've never heard a good explanation on why you'd want any particular one.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well i melted 38 and 357 bullets and loaded them in cases and had no problem, even varied tin content in them and use them in my pistol and rifle, but i do use gas checks and lube the bullets too

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
"Generally Speaking" barring a fugged up bore, properly sized hard cast bullets shouldn't cause leading problems at velocities at or under 1,000 FPS.

I've used hard cast bullets almost exclusively in my .38/357 revolvers and .45 ACP pistols for many decades with zero leading problems.

The one and only time I tried the softer "swagged" bullets, I spent a week end scrubbing lead out of bores...never again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts