Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
32,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been some articles recently in the gun rags in the gunsmithing sections that are of interest to everybody. I have to agree with the authors of the articles

The articles covered loading rounds into the chamber of pistols.
A lot of you staff and members may know this already.

Under no circumstances should a live round be loaded into the chamber through the ejection port and then let the slide slam shut. The reason for this is that the extractor is not made to operate in that manner. Doing this will tear up the claw and the mechanism in general because the rim of the cartridge isn't properly being engaged by the the extractor, can be and will be damaged from this incorrect practice.All it takes is once doing this. It may take more times, but damage to the extractor will take place eventually.

Load a full mag,chamber a round,drop the mag and add one cartridge to the magazine. Then reinsert loaded mag into the pistol. All my pistols are either decocker models or are striker fired so there is no problem of a negligent discharge happening with this process. Unless the decocker malfunctions. I'd rather trust the decocker than try and lower the hammer down on a live round. Of course the gun is always pointed in a safe direction or down range

There are pistols where lowering the hammer on to a live round must be done manually, but I've has a close call or two where sweaty hands or an easy fumble could have let the hammer drop just enough to fire the round. This though having used safe techniques to lower tha hammer many times on a loaded pistol.

Feel free to add to this folks. All bases haven't been covered. :)
The Magic Eightball is in for a rebuild, the Crystal Ball's warranty ran out,so did it, and the tea leaves made a tasty beverage. So other info is unattainable at this time. ;) :p :) :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I always thought this was common sense---but then again If I was new to shooting I might have the same question on how to load a semi-auto.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
decocking a pistol is sometimes more dangerious then a revolver..

revolvers generally speaking (i dont know of any) do not have a half cocked notch so you hold the hammer back.. press the trigger.. soon as the hammer breaks free release trigger and slowly lower hammer.

on pistols with half cocked notches you usually have to hold the trigger a lot longer.. other wise you'll probably end up at half cocked.

in either case make sure it's not pointed at anything or anyone.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
You know I knew better than inserting round and dropping the slide, but even though all the pistols say +1, no where in the manual did I see instruction about how to do the +1. Makes me wonder if some of the problems people have listed, are owner caused due to not knowing correct proceedures.

·
Administrator
40,853 Posts
Even knowing how it should be, some folks get just downright lazy.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I still prefer to load only 1 into the mag , instead of a full mag. Chamber that round and then remove the mag and fill it. 2 reasons. I know the round was chambered, since my mag is now empty, and I don't have to load that last (impossible to load) round twice. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well I appreciate the mention of this particular "How To" subject. As yet I still carry without a round in the chamber on my PT145. I have been carrying since I got my CPL last June and consider myself as still getting used to it and still learning.

And I have given some thought as to how to load the 11th round safely when I finally begin to carry that way so this is a good reminder and or warning of the safe way to do it.

I like the one round in the clip idea too.

So thanks. Now I will go back to sleep.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I agree with thunderjohn, i always load one round in the mag and chamber it, then load the mag to full capacity, like he said sometimes that last round or 2 in the mag is a bear and I dont want to mess with that twice haha

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i think i might be the weird one in the group.. i actually do not do the +1 trick.. i just put in a loaded mag and chamber it, dont bother with refilling a mag.

i suppose i should cause it makes sense im just to lazy :p

·
32,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Each to their own ... as long as they do it safely.Having the extra round is okay and one can never seem to have enough ammo. However no one has documented a situation where that one more round would have made a huge difference or was THE deciding factor in a gun fight.

There have been a few situations where reloads did happen or were necessary,but just one more round? No. Correct that folks if you have a documented story about 1 round more being decisive.

Civilian gun fights are normally over in just a few rounds for the most part. Been documented thoroughly. Even the NRA column about citizens who defend themselves with guns rarely if ever have a reload story to tell.

Then again there is no "average gun fight" nor can one know that the fight will end before reloading is necessary.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I guess you could look at it like the old saying "I would rather have a gun and not need it then need a gun and not have it"

So I guess I would rather have the extra round and not need it then need the extra round and not have it

But you are correct to each his own, I know there are times I carry my PT145 with 10+1 instead of my 24/7 which is 12+1 so even if I did carry my 24/7 with out the +1 it would still have one more round then my PT145 if that makes sence, sorry its 3am lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
What is the standard for professionals? If LEOs carry +1 all the time or maybe are required to carry that way then that may be the best for those who do carry locked and loaded. It may also be just as important to be consistent in what you do so if and when the time comes there is not any confusion as to what state you are in. As I mentioned above I am nearing the time when I feel I may move to one in the pipe but do not yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts