Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 24/7 G2 9 mm. When I have a round chambered,my 'Loaded Chamber Indicator' barely sticks up...The red dot is not visable. How much should it stick up? Other people complain that their LCI (other pistol brands) sticks up too much.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The one on my 40 barely sticks up, so I guess it's normal.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Mine sticks up just shy the thickness of a dime. Is this how yours is?

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
It's meant to be tactile as well as visable.

You don't need much to feel it in the dark with the tip of your trigger finger.

Much more and you'll have other issues you don't want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yea my G2 9 is the same. Doesnt stick up much.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Don't mean this to be controversial nor a flame, but why even pay any attention to a loaded chamber indicator? I say that for a number of reasons:

1) If I'm carrying, there's always a round in the pipe.
2) If I'm not sure, I check by racking the slide
3) If someone hands me a gun, I assume (in this case, it's valid to assume) there's a round chambered, so always check. I'm a creature of habit.
4) I view the loaded chamber indicator as a crutch and have never paid attention to it's presence or absence.

I'm curious as to it's use and value.

·
Registered
612 Posts
true I wouldn't rely on it to tell me if im loaded or not. but its a nice little feature as an extra safety precaution.. on that note, I never even pay attention to mine either. Might as well not have it. It's just something else I have to factor into my loading routine.. Drop mag, insert mag, rack slide, check indicator... no thank you.

as im typing this Im reminded of a dream I had when I purchased my first handgun.. I was camping in the woods and a giant wolf.. the size of a vw bug came barreling out of the woods surrounding my camp sight.. snarling and clipping his jaws.. I reach for my handy sigma and racked the slide.. discharging a round.. For some reason I only loaded 2 bullets and had one in the pipe.. I looked at the size of this wolf then pictured my single 9mm round and decided I was up poo creek. Waking up I said, "if only I had a loaded chamber indicator!." I went out and bought the 24/7 in 40.. Never had another wolf problem..
so, mixed bag that indicator. To each their own.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Certain commie states required a loaded chamber indicater for the weapon to be sold in that state.
Along with other stupid and useless requirements.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I personally don't like loaded chamber indicators. I've never needed one. I suppose they can be useful, but I do believe it's mostly a legal thing put out by manufacturer's legal departments. You should see the big honking one they put on my Ruger SR40! :eek:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I second the call that it's a useless crutch....I haven't paid the least bit of attention to mine since I've had it. If the slide's closed I assume its loaded.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was comparing the LCI on my 24/7 to the LCI on a Ruger SR9 (pictured above). If I had purchased the SR9 I would have swapped out the LCI with one from gallowayprecision.com. By the way, I always drop the mag,rack the slide to check for unloaded prior to handling. Gotta be safe. Keep it unloaded,small kids in the house. Haven't made it to the range yet,hopefully tomorrow. Weather permitting. Thanx for all the feedback.

·
Registered
28 Posts
First I want to say that the trigger pull on my new 24/7 g2 45acp is terrible and a big disappointment for me. I decided to buy some Pachmayr snap caps to work on that problem and I noticed that the chamber indicator does not work with them loaded. WTF? is that normal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is how far my 24/7 G2 9mm sticks up lol (none at all) I just always assume its loaded, because it always is t1.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts