Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear of you folks that make custom bullets or calibers.
When you're starting with a bullet or caliber you're not familiar with, how do you know what load to start with?
Are there calculations for certain casings or bullets?

·
10,379 Posts
Sometimes the manual won't give specific start data on a bullet, but they'll typically be close enough to start a load build safely, then I load up 5-10, jump a fraction of a grain, load up 5-10 of those, etc etc....marking each little batch clearly.

Then I go out and shoot, starting from the lowest charge and work my way up until I find a load that provides consistent results without showing signs of stress to the firearm or case. I generally find that lower charged rounds are a bit more accurate for my 1911, while my .270 (bolt action) likes to push the upper boundaries for the greatest accuracy.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Are you talking about a new load for a standard factory loading or a wildcat? For standard factory rounds use a reloading manual. For bullet weights between listings for example the book list 180 and 220 grain bullets and you have a 200 grain. Start with the loads for the 220 grain bullet and work up. For wildcats it is a different process that involves parent case, necking up or down, how case is reformed, etc. With some rounds not a lot to it, with some a lot goes into a new round.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
well in standard calibers and standard projectile diameters its seldom that you can not either find the exact match or a very close match to your projectile if you look hard enough, unless its totally inappropriate for the caliber, such as say maybe a 70-80 grain .308 projectile out of a 300 Win Mag for example.
or a .451 pistol bullet in 175 grain for a 458 Weatherby magnum.
I would never just make up what i thought was a proper/safe loading and projectile myself.
I am playing with some light weight projectiles in the 38 Super now, data is hard to find many times.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
There aren't many wildcat caliber combos that haven't been tried over the last 100 years.

In today's internet age it' s not that difficult to do the research you need to get started.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Wildcat or factory the internet is a wonderful place to find information. It is also full of nuts that give out info on things they are clueless about. For factory ammo I would always double check with a good load manual. Wildcats are a different animal, in the past few weeks I have looked at internet load data on wildcats that was way past max loads. Wildcats have no industry specs until they are adopted by a company or someone willing to pay for the testing. Every new factory round that hits the market is fair game for the wildcat builders as soon as brass hits the market. Wildcats have been built from .10 caliber .103 diameter up. On both rim and centerfire cases over the years. It is s very active hobby with some shooters. I built my first one well over 40 years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts