Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently I just arrived in the 22 LR. year of 2020. ....... Are people really paying $20 for a fifty round boxes of .22 cal? ....... I haven't priced them for years. I still have a 550 brick that I paid $17 for. ....... That's twice as much as 9mm costs. ......... Somebody pinch me.

Oops ........ guess I was way behind on 9mm also ....... looked a year ago a Wally World and could swear the 9mm was like $10 a box.

Now I see it's $60 at CTD. ..... Yikes.

Obviously I don't shoot much.

Also didn't see the 'The price makes me speechless!' thread either.

Also just realized I was looking on CTD and their ammo is overpriced.

Mods, feel free to delete this redundant post.

·
Registered
794 Posts
No ammo to be had in my neck of the woods. I went to a gun show this weekend, hoping to find some. 9mm was going for $800 for a thousand rounds.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reminds me of a signature one of the members here has, to the effect that 'Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo' ........ or something like that.

Reactions: DA-Auto

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
I'm Rich!! Ammo Rich that is...LOL! Talk about investing in precious metal...LOL!!
ME TOO!
Plus I got the Treasury Department downstairs with the press to make lots more money--ahh Ammo!

Reactions: DA-Auto

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My local Wally World has a 100 round box of .22lr for $25+, Sam Walton would be turning over in His grave.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Our local Fleet Farm add starting on 10-3 shows 50 round .22 CCI Standard for 2/$5:00!
What are the odds of that really happening.
May have to go there early Saturday morning and see.

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
I saw a slight rise in 22 LR prices some 8 months back and laid in about 3K rounds at a nickel a piece. I had a few thousand on the shelf already that were about .04 net, but felt the vibration in the ether.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't pay for price gouged ammo and try to persuade those close to you who might choose to do to avoid the trap and get prepared in availability disruptions during better times.

This is a people induced problem, not a supply issue.

As long as people keep fueling fears about ammo and gun supplies, the situation will not get better.

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
Don't pay for price gouged ammo and try to persuade those close to you who might choose to do to avoid the trap and get prepared in availability disruptions during better times.

This is a people induced problem, not a supply issue.

As long as people keep fueling fears about ammo and gun supplies, the situation will not get better.
I agreed that some of the buying may be a result of panic and/or a desire to have it for re-sale later at a high cost, but a lot of it is driven by gun sales also. New and used guns have been in great demand over the last 6 months and even those of us who have several firearms may have acquired a caliber not previously owned and then the rush is on to stock up for that different round.

The gougers should be made to take a loss however if they bought high during the panic once the inventory is replenished and the demand lessens.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I think I will go to my ammo bin and play like Uncle Scrooge used to play in his money bin. Same thing today! :cool:

Tossing boolits and boxes in the air! Ouch, some of those larger calibers hurt as much as a sack full of silver!

Got a bunch of Silver-Tips and Gold Dots to boot!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Due to my experience during the past shortages, I have built up a good supply of the calibers that I use over several years. I also have a pretty good supply of reloading supplies. During the recent “panic”, I have reduced my visits to the range which I hope will help me weather the storm if it lasts long. Better batten down the hatches, if the election goes the wrong way, we may not have seen anything yet!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Just in my LGS Thursday. He had COMMERCIAL RELOADED 9mm, 115 FMJ at $16.99/box of 50 !

Talk about gouging!

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Just in my LGS Thursday. He had COMMERCIAL RELOADED 9mm, 115 FMJ at $16.99/box of 50 !

Talk about gouging!
Considering the shipping he had to pay that the big box stores don't have to pay, sounds like he may have been doing his customers a favor!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
My wife was complaining that my ammo hoard was crushing the carpet. I showed her some prices, and she stopped complaining. After the 22 shortage a few years back, prices dropped significantly. I bought several hundred pounds of 22 LR and 22 Magnum. My 8x10 closet is stacked about 4 feet deep with ammo, about 1/3 22 LR. If this keeps up long, I may have to sell a bit. I did top off my 380 supply Saturday with 500 rounds of Gold Dot.

·
Registered
27,111 Posts
A while ago I was going to sell a gun for a good price, but I was throwing in 350 rounds of ammo as it was the only gun I have in that caliber. Now it would seem that I could sell the ammo for what I was asking and throw in the gun. :D

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
After the last several "shortages" the last couple decades I swore I wouldnt be without. My biggest piles are 5.56 and 9mm followed by 38 .357. Plenty of 44 mag and 45ap.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stopped in Rural King today while in town for some stuff. Strolled though the gun shop. Ammo shelves were almost bare. Just a few boxes of oddball rifle shells, about 3 boxes of .308, and about 50 boxes of overpriced .22 LRN. ........ Should have taken a picture. Looked like a grocery bottled water isle before a hurricane.

They did seem to have plenty of bird shot though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts